Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2002, 03:53 PM   #1
purre
Banned

I just want to know,does anyone else plan their games before starting a new game? By planning I mean the playing style.
I usually plan,for example many times I have decided to play a really gooder or neutral game.This is ok,at first,but eventually my plans get really messed. I always end up collecting all the evils in my party,even if I decide not to do it! Strange...
purre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 03:58 PM   #2
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

Yes, being good; nuetrals are allowed in my party too, the only exception I make to evil is Viciona. [img]tongue.gif[/img] hehe, and I usually plan to get those seriens down the coast as soon as I can. [img]tongue.gif[/img] good xp, AND a book of con [img]tongue.gif[/img] lol, I usually plan to do the mines AFTER I've explored for a while. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 04:03 PM   #3
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Well my first game I didn't do any planning but every game after I do have some sort of plan like which NPC's I will use, party theme style etc. Mainly it is just to try something that would make the game different. In the latest game I planned a party of Rangers, and to duel Imoen to a mage, I wanted to try a female character has well so I started with a female ranger, picked up Kiven and Minsc, and with DSotSC I ended up having a cleric/ranger for a short period of time. Next time I think I will try an entire party from DSotSC.

[ 11-04-2002, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 05:59 PM   #4
andrewas
Harper

This party I have planned right down to ToB final battle tactics

Well, not that far, but I do know roughly what stuff I need to grab, and that Im switching my conjurer for a sorceror when I hit SoA.

And that Im keeping all 6 all the way through. Not possible without mods, but Kagain and Shar-Teel are both in The Darkest Day, so Im going for it. Imoen, Edwin and Viconia are of course present in standard BG2.

As for my next party - solo archer, right through. I think I can GateKeep a ranger to an archer, so it should be fun.

Beyond that, dunno. Maybe a solo sorceror. CHEESE. But how to hack a sorc into BG1?
Old 11-04-2002, 07:19 PM   #5
Sorcerer Alex

I do to some extent. I think I map out about fifty percent of what I am going to do with my game before I even leave Candlekeep. The rest I just leave up to sudden impulses here and there; such as which NPCs to take, which quests to do, and which order I will do them in.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:10 PM   #6
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
As for my next party - solo archer, right through. I think I can GateKeep a ranger to an archer, so it should be fun.

Beyond that, dunno. Maybe a solo sorceror. CHEESE. But how to hack a sorc into BG1?
You can turn a Ranger into an Archer perfectly legitimately, simply by pressing that "Archer" button during Character Creation.

You will have to cheat to turn your Mage into a Sorcerer, but not much, and I think it's perfectly justifiable. Just roll a brand-new Sorcerer at the start of BG2, Save your game, and then GateKeep him/her to have the exact same stats and EXP of your Mage.
Old 11-05-2002, 06:35 AM   #7
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
You can turn a Ranger into an Archer perfectly legitimately, simply by pressing that "Archer" button during Character Creation.
AFAIK there are no kits in BG1.

Quote:

You will have to cheat to turn your Mage into a Sorcerer, but not much, and I think it's perfectly justifiable. Just roll a brand-new Sorcerer at the start of BG2, Save your game, and then GateKeep him/her to have the exact same stats and EXP of your Mage.
yes, but then you lose the sorcerors spell casting abilites - youwould still have to memorise like a mage.

i think I see a way to get close, but it will take a lot of hacking around. Probably not worth it.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:52 AM   #8
Grungi
Banned User

i got no plans as such, i know what the main quest bits i have to do are, apart from that i just want to clean every single area i can find out of all quests then get back to the main quest, i normally save chapter 5 and above for until i completed everything else
Grungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 08:07 AM   #9
Keraptisdm
Elminster

I put more thought into what I'm going to do for the game than a person should. I guess that's just the role player in me. I consider the challenges of various character types, which NPC's I'll add, good or evil (I'm usually good), etc. And now with BG2/SoA/ToB to consider for "going the distance" the planning has increased.
Keraptisdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 10:06 AM   #10
purre
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Grungi:
i got no plans as such, i know what the main quest bits i have to do are, apart from that i just want to clean every single area i can find out of all quests then get back to the main quest, i normally save chapter 5 and above for until i completed everything else
Your plans sound a bit similar to mine.I too just go through all areas and do the quests that I run into.
purre is offline   Reply With Quote