Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2006, 03:50 PM   #1
Halbarad1891
The Magister

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a semi-current game that is like Baldur's Gate 1. I've been playing NWN2 and while it's ok, it has really made me want to experience the joy of BG1 again. But even when it's moved into the BG2 engine it's still dated, graphics-wise. Also the other reason I'm looking for a new game is: I've played BG1 so many times that while it's still fun, it's no longer "new". I know the story, I know how to solve the quests, I know what's going to happen, etc.

So any suggestions?
Thanks
Halbarad1891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 04:25 PM   #2
ZFR
Legion Symbol

hmmm... if you don't mind me asking, why do you want the game to be "current" or modern. Is it for the better graphics? Because aside from that I can't think of any major way that modern RPGs are different from older ones...

Anyway, have you considered the IWD series? A bit old, but newer than Baldur's Gate 1. Both are really great games. IWD2 uses the 3rd edition rules.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:57 AM   #3
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

I have been thinking I would like a few more RPGs in the classic party format like the BGs, W&W, and M&Ms. Mostly we now have single players with henchmen.

[ 11-15-2006, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 08:15 PM   #4
Halbarad1891
The Magister

I'm mostly looking for a open map, party game.
I like how most (outdoor) maps in BG1 are big, mostly explorable, areas. With most newer games, and even BG2 to some extent, all the map's seem more confined and path like. I like being given an entire map to explore, where if I run into a enemy group I can circle around them and attack from a different side if I want, or avoid them all together. All the RPGs I've played since BG1 have been more of the "follow the path" type game.
I started IWD2 a few months ago and played for awhile, but except for the cities it seemed to be mostly pathed wilderness. Maybe that changes later and I just didn't play far enough though.
And then as Pritchke said, a lot of the newer RPGs are single hero plus hirelings, which while fun, isn't as fun as playing a whole party (IMO).

I'm not looking for a newer game per say, but it does help. Graphics aren't as important as the gameplay and story, but they are nice. So while I'm happy playing the BG games as is, it would be nice to see them on a higher res. And I'm not against playing older games, but the problem I've run into is that comparability issues pop up the further you go back. I'm currently in the middle of a game of Might and Magic 7 (one of my favorites) but the problem I'm running into (after solving the problem of getting it to even run on XP) is that it is noticeably faster, the animations, the movement, everything is faster than it should be. But that's something I'll have to deal with if I want to keep playing the good ol' games. [img]smile.gif[/img] Short of building an old computer and installing DOS or Win 95 or something on it, which I may end up doing because I've had a hankering for some M&M 3 goodness.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:44 PM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Try disabling vsync for the fast animations problem. Sometimes it does that to older games. Try also running it in win 98 compat mode.

IWD1 is a great little game IMHO. If you haven't tried it (I know you mentioned 2) do give it a look. It has alot of charm. Many said it was linear and it was a more so than BG 1 but the story and the setting I loved. IWD2 is alright but something was missing.

I know what you said you want, but I will try my luck and suggest Thief 1. It's a first person game but fantasy setting. The way you mentioned the desire for freedom kind of made me think of this game. A true classic, graphics aren't terrible either - even now.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:28 AM   #6
Halbarad1891
The Magister

Is there a way to disable vsync in the OS? Because I haven't run into that option in most older games (at least the ones I've tried lately). I'm pretty sure MM7 doesn't have it, talk about a game with a limited config menu [img]smile.gif[/img]
For the older DOS games I used to use a program called MoSlo which cut the clock cycles down or something so the games would play at the right speed. This was back when my old P1-133 was too fast for the games, plus it was only for DOS.
And if you Google it, it still exists. Imagine that. And it now works for Windows. hmmm

I actually played Thief 1 back in the day and this past summer I got a game of Thief 3 going. Both were very enjoyable, 1 more than 3, but still...
Old 11-18-2006, 10:52 PM   #7
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yeah, Dxtool can force Vsync off in the OS if worst comes to worse but beforehand try doing it on your video card tab (nVidia or ATI panel in display options). Set it to OFF not application controlled. Make sure you have the latest Directx...October 2006.

Thief 2 is worth a look also. Very similiar to 1 in style but alot of tweaks. Of course in 3 they changed alot but Thief 2 was like another dose of nostalgia before Looking Glass Studios died.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:39 AM   #8
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Quite frankly, the whole "Thief" series is worth at least a *look*
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 09:38 AM   #9
Zaleukos
The Magister

Mo-Slo is awful. I prefer to use dosbox (can be found at sourceforge.net). Just drag your game .exe to the dosbox executable and it'll run (you might have to increase "cpu cycles" to ca 15000 by pressing ctrl-f12, but thats it). I play Darklands and Colonization that way.

I'm playing through Arcanum now. It isnt that new, but similar to BG in that you have a protagonist and run into recruitable NPCs (who are controlled by a fairly retarded AI). Still it is the game that I've played that is most similar to the infinity engine games. Fallout should be similar. Exploration isnt as important as in BG1, but the quests and cities are better.
Zaleukos is offline   Reply With Quote