Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2001, 10:28 AM   #1
Snoekie
Dungeon Master

Lets start with the good news: I bought the game today! (why no smileys you wonder? read on..)

Now the bad news: After doing the full install I started the game by pressing the "start new game" button (I watched the intro first and it looked pretty bad. As if I watched a VERY VERY small res movie in full screen.) and was taken to the town of Valeia screen. Or better said: it was supposed to do that....

The middle of the screen is black. I see nothing at all. The boxes on the side of the screen I do see.
The text box on the bottom reads: Village of Valeia.
I can see and move around the hand shaped cursor too.
Iniatially the game started up under software acceleration, so I changed it into 800x600 D3D. All other graphical options are on High. And they should be, my system is powerfull enough.
P3 450 - 128MB ram - Geforce 2 MX - 48x CD-Rom - 5400rpm harddisk with plenty of room left. (4GB or something)
So after I've checked out the other options, like sound, I closed the option screen.
Or better said: I tried to cause the image of that option screen remained visible. It wasn't really there cause I couldn't press any buttons so it's a "Ghost" image that just wont go away.
One other strange thing is that the screensize isn't filling my monitor size.
It's a bit to left.
If I wanted it to fully spread over my monitor I would have to expand the screen with my monitor buttons.... that part I could easily correct ofcourse, but still.... I've played beta versions of games that did better.

I've tried it first without the patch and nothing worked. Now I've installed the patch and it still doesn't work. This problem isn't even mentioned in the patch readme. I have a bad feeling about this (
Can anybody please help me???? I don't know how to fix this and I really REALLY want to play this game.
Oh, I also checked the boards a little and already changed my virtual memory to a minimum of 300MB. Didn't do a thing for me.
Please help a dissapointed Dutchman.

Snoekie.
Snoekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 10:36 AM   #2
Moni

Awwww!
Hiya Snoekie!
Let me do a little searching, the problem may be with the GeForce.
Sazerac, our very own Wonder Tech will know the answer I am sure but let me see if there are any threads I can find and push to the top for you.

Moni
Old 05-15-2001, 10:39 AM   #3
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

I had the exact same problem. After I installed the patch, the game seem to work fine.

you can get the patch at:

http://www.tgeweb.com/ironworks/wiza...rs/index.shtml

Also, make sure you play with the gamma after you install the patch, that might help too.

Hope this helps,
Ryanamur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 10:44 AM   #4
Moni

The thread below "Hi everyone" cantains some information in making the game work with GeForce 2.
Are you using DirectX 8?
That too has been blamed for problems and I will push up a thread on getting rid of it as soon as I find it.

Moni
Old 05-15-2001, 10:49 AM   #5
mammawlin
Drizzt Do'Urden

Oh NOOOO! What a Bummer Indeed Snoekie! I certainly hope you get it fixed so you can play. Please let us know how it works out.

Mammawlin
mammawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 11:23 AM   #6
Dragonrider
Dungeon Master

Hi! Dragonrider here. Did you try turning down the accelerator in the performance section of the system. If not go to control panel, go to system,go to performance, then to graphics. Move the slider over to no acceleration. Click okay. You may have to restart the computer. Start game and go back to software mode. See if that helps. A lot of graphic problems is solved by turning down the accelerator in the computer. I hope that this helps you out.
Dragonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 11:51 AM   #7
Snoekie
Dungeon Master

First of all: Thank you all very very much for your help and advice!!!
Second: I tried it ALL and nothing helped
Yes, I had directx 8 on my system and used that utility Sazerac suggested to get rid of it. (Great tool btw, thanks Saz!) I now run directx 7, turned down acceleration in windows to "basic" (my system is pretty slowed down after that I'm finding...so that will go back to "full") I'm trying to play the game in Software mode but still nada...
Hell, I even sacrificed another game called "Clive Barkers Undying" who needs directx 8 in order to run.
I figured I could always play that after I've finished W&W.
Every other game or application I have runs fine with directx 8 and my Geforce 2 MX.
I think it's safe to say that the problem is with the game and not with anything else.

I want to thank you all very very much for you quick responses and your advice!
As long as Heuristic park/Activision don't look into this problem I'm affraid it simply won't be solved.
What a shame.

My last chance to play this game: my girlfriends PC, hehe. She has the same setup as me except for the Geforce 2 MX. She has a TNT 2 Ultra and didn't install Direct 8 yet and still uses directx 7.
Sooooooooo.....I guess that will mean doing the dishes for the rest of the week and pretend to enjoy watching her daily soap on tv
IF it works on her pc that is *grin*

Ah well, I'll definatly let you all know how it goes. Again, thanks a bunch for all your input.

Snoekie.
Old 05-15-2001, 11:57 AM   #8
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Sorry to hear it didn't work Snoekie.

I would suggest keeping an eye on this tread until Sazerac looks at it... He's the Expert when it comes to Hardware related problem.

Disclaimer: This title was given after monitoring Sazerac's comments over the last 7 months. It does not mean an endorsement of product in any shape, way or form. Usage of the Sazerac option is entirely to your discretion... but it's worth it (too bad I don't know how to put it in fine print)

[This message has been edited by Ryanamur (edited 05-15-2001).]
Ryanamur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 12:06 PM   #9
Snoekie
Dungeon Master

One quick question before I go and install W&W on my gf machine: she "only" has 2 GB of free space left on her HD and I was wondering if it's wise to do the smaller install?
I'm not sure but I think I read somewhere that the full install is better and the small install can give trouble sometimes.

Snoekie.
Old 05-15-2001, 01:03 PM   #10
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Snoekie: I'd say do the smaller install. I did it once and only had a little problem with some of the NPC's pausing a bit between speech fragments. You'll just have to wait a little longer. The bigger install puts all the verbal speech onto your hard drive; the smaller one keeps it on the CD-ROM. Whichever way, it'll work. The game executable file (deep6.exe) loads onto the hard drive the same way, regardless of the install.

Sorry to hear of your vicissitudes. I will say that you have tried every way I can think of. Here's hoping that it will work (why not turn your GF onto it as well, if it does?) and do let us know how it is going!

-Sazerac

(and thanks for the great kudos from Ryanamur!)
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote