Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2001, 03:31 AM   #1
Rallek
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I don't know if this is posted somewhere, but seeing as how we have so many learned veterans of the game here... (blatant butt kissing mode) What do you recomend as the minimum stat requirements for starting characters? I know that in the Wizardry games, rerolling your character was important if you wanted them to be able to have access to some of the special classes. ("Lords" and "Ninjas" come to mind)

So what does the council of the board say? What are the minimum stats that glory seekers like me should settle for? While we're at it, what race/class (or clan/role if you'd rather) combinations do you recomend for parties the first time through the game? I await the opinions of the board.
Rallek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 04:36 AM   #2
BlackAssassin
Zhentarim Guard

stats can be inproved during the game so choosing you elite role before hand can give you an idea of which stats to increase. IF you don't know just give your char even stats and improve during the game( recommended )
BlackAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 04:53 AM   #3
mortification
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I was saying earlier in another post that after rolling up about 30 characters as a test, the variation on stats was quite profound. For example, if you consider the total stat points as the sum of the base stats plus the bonus points, I had anywhere between 59 - 80.

I set 70 total as a minimum acceptable limit for a new character. This you cna usually get within about 4 rolls, so it's not too time-consuming, and you get off to a great start.

------------------
(This space intentionally left blank)
mortification is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 04:57 AM   #4
mortification
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Oops, I also forgot to mention that if you are guild-hopping, you pretty much need 10 in each stat to get the full benefit. So even if you get the 70 if you get a 1 or 2 in a stat you might want to reroll. I had a Guork warrior with a 1 intelligence. I wonder how to role-play that...maybe you are just supposed to leave the city drooling on yourself and slay everything in sight.

Also since INT is so important you want to get to 16 right away for the extra skill points. So if your INT is really low (see moron-boy, above) you might also want to reroll.

------------------
Old 05-15-2001, 05:12 AM   #5
Merack
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I can see I'm going to be shot down in flames, but anyway....

I'm playing with characters first rolled, some of them have still not got 10 on all their stats, I have got all the way to Brimloch without a cure poison spell and have still managed to get an Assasin elite role.

I only found out that I should be training my characters half way thru the game...

I am having a brill time and have not found any major disadvantage to playing with sub super human (super sentiant being) characters.

I'm suppose my next party will be much superior, but I can't see the point of starting again til I finish with this lot.
Merack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 05:18 AM   #6
mortification
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I started this way too, and didn't realize that you could train until late game...D'oh!

It's actually much more fun this way IMHO..lots of dramatic tension. Heck, even trollies are dangerous.

------------------
Old 05-15-2001, 09:15 AM   #7
mammawlin
Drizzt Do'Urden

You know what, Rallek, this is not a HARD game as far as killing monsters, so to me it is more fun and much more of a challenge to just go with what you want and things come out great. The more imagination you have the better, but only because YOU choose which characters (race, gender, clan) to play with and YOU even get to name them. I found that the advancements come soon enough for all in the party and things just get more exciting and better as you learn how to play. There are so many spells, and potions, and roles to change to, and things to do and people to meet - fighting is a small portion and not too difficult to do once you get the hang of it.

My only advise is to save often - save when you leave town and save before you enter town - try to use a different save slot in case you want to change something you did or forgot to do and save, save save. Check back here if you get stuck, lots of nice folks here who like to help and enjoy hearing about your adventures. And some folks may need your help sometimes too!

Enjoy and stay close!
Mammawlin
mammawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 09:22 AM   #8
mammawlin
Drizzt Do'Urden

Oh yeah, A GREAT site for maps, walkthroughs, suggestions about party members, hints, etc., has been put together by a great guy named Rick Volberding and can be found here: http://www.volberding.com/WHints/index.html

Barbarian (cousin to Mammawlin)
mammawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 09:23 AM   #9
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Merack -

We don't do flames here! This game proves to be fun no matter how you approach making your characters and that is really what matters! Enjoying the game and sharing that here on the board!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 10:26 PM   #10
Rallek
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the opinions and the link to that site, I appreciate both. I was asking not because I intend to build a group of uber characters, but because I am a veteran of the Wizardry series where your starting stats will make or break your character. As far as just using my imagination and playing whatever character I roll up... well that's what weekly D&D games are for. See you all later.
Rallek is offline   Reply With Quote