Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2001, 10:31 AM   #31
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

ROFL Mammawlin!!! Good one!

RD, I look forward to talking more with you. I really need to revamp my site (now that it's on its new domain host, I want to get in there and really tweak it). I appreciate your comments on it, and would love to talk with you further about some of those.

And if you enjoy writing, definitely get something up on Slip's site.

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 01:00 PM   #32
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Hey, RudeDawg, I still applaud your attempts to RolePlay instead of PowerGame. And I am interested in your Solo Ranger attempts. A couple of general thoughts:

1) The Range Weapon. Yes, early they do kinda suck. I usually use the Magic stuff instead. I have a party with two magic users and a Paladin and 2 regular fighters (still need the correct requirements to level up) and a lowly thief. You want to talk roleplaying, I took the first roll given to me for my characters. Some of 'em really sucked, but I'm sticking with it. I figure they will be pushed up eventually.

2) Solo with Ranger only. Should be interesting to see if possible. I understand your passion for Rangers. I have the same for Paladins. But With this game, I don't think it was meant to go straight through soloing with only one class used. Think of it this way: in 3rd Edition DnD rules, you can level up bouncing back and forth accross the PC types, right? So your Ranger, through his/her travels, has met a Magic user who takes him in and shows him some simple incantations to help him get through the populated areas easier. He being a Ranger and not having as much knowledge of cities, is grateful for the help and learns quickly. Soon, you have a 5 level Ranger, first level Magic User. Then you find a lock in the forest (say a door or a chest) that you need to open, but it has secrets behind that only a Ranger should know. So you find a person who is a locksmith and he teaches you how to open a lock without forcing it, looking for traps ect. Now you have a Ranger with knowledge of Magic and Locks, or a 5 lvl Ranger, 1 lvl Mage, l lvl thief. So there is a Roleplaying part that allows this.

3. I agree with certain races only using certain weapons. Elfs use bows and long swords. I had a friend who tried to play an elf cleric with a sling and I laughed at him. Dwarfs also like Hammers and Axes.

4. There is no four, I just hate ending with a prime odd number.

Good Luck, and when I get my PC in two weeks, we will talk more.

BK

------------------

The Black Storm Cloud of the Night
Consort to a Queen
Champion of Truth, Justice and Cloudy's Way
Captain of the Knights of the Golden Dragons
Heart, Mind, and Soul
Offical Wizard and Warrior Questioner
What is this, the Spanish Inquisition?
Ironworks Answer Man
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 01:47 PM   #33
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Black Knight wrote:
Quote:
4. There is no four, I just hate ending with a prime odd number.

LOL, BK! Are you a mathematician?

I definitely liked your summary. I must admit that I roll my characters with their first ascensions in mind, but I usually don't take more than about 5-6 rolls per character until I get something I like. I don't go for the "meta-super power" characters...and yet, in this game, if you play it long enough, it happens.

I'm going to bump up a thread showing what my other characters' stats were at the end of the game, so you can get an idea of what you can accede to.

And I agree...role-changing is the way to go in this game. Talk about being upwardly mobile career-wise!

Cheers,
Sazerac
Old 05-15-2001, 01:50 PM   #34
Black Knight

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:

LOL, BK! Are you a mathematician?

Why, is my Abacus showing? Degrees in Math, Education, and Computer Science. And the Computer Science I learned was Pascal and Basic. How sad...

BK

------------------

Consort to a Queen
Heart, Mind, and Soul
Ironworks Answer Man
Old 05-15-2001, 01:57 PM   #35
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Hehe, BK...I've got a Ph.D. in Statistics...and now I teach computer networking! Go fig.

Basic and Pascal...I remember those! Still trying to learn C++ myself.

Back to regularly scheduled programming...

-Sazerac
Old 05-15-2001, 03:28 PM   #36
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

I am humbled that y'all've (yup, that's a Southernism) taken an interst in my adventures...

And, it's so much fun to see everyone else commenting on this...

OK, BK (LOL, sorry, I had to do it) once again, thanks for the support on my whole crazy "role-playing" idea. And, if (it's starting to sound like "when" actually) I need to, I'll be using that storyline to justify my changes. (I think I'll be following Saz and writing my adventures out. Just like in BGII, and the PnP stuff, The Forging, so that will come in handy.)

I also agree about the racial limits on weapons. I couldn't see an elven ranger walking around with Crom Faeyr. Gotta love pallys... they are soo cool. In my old PnP days, my DM made me quit using them, as I could never get the knack of playing Lawful Good. IRL, I'm Chaotic Good. I believe in Good, just not in Law.

Knarfling, thanks for the input (no apologies for the spoilers necessary) and we shall see where things head. As I've said, I may have to change roles eventually, and I may even have to restart to get a solo game through, but my goal right now is simple. Ranger. All the way through. If I don't make it, I will die trying... (insert melodramatic musical theme, growing to a crescendo)

On my way to Ishad N'Ha... (haven't been able to play at work today, it's been busy. I'll play at home tonight)

------------------

The RudeDawg
Known in these Forgotten Realms as Perin LightEyes
and my girlfriends, Pamila and Pfil

[This message has been edited by RudeDawg (edited 05-15-2001).]
RudeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 03:53 PM   #37
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

No matter what happens, RudeDawg, you're a hero for trying!

-Sazerac
Old 05-16-2001, 11:11 AM   #38
Black Knight

Hey RudeDawg...did you touch the totem poll? Ukabu like totem. Totem like Ukabu . . . if too far away not big deal...

BK

------------------

Consort to a Queen
Heart, Mind, and Soul
Ironworks Answer Man
Old 05-16-2001, 11:43 AM   #39
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

"Toadem", not Totem, BK! The fun is in the pun!

Keep up the good work, RudeDawg! We're rooting for you.

-Sazerac
Old 05-16-2001, 01:52 PM   #40
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Knight:
Hey RudeDawg...did you touch the totem poll? Ukabu like totem. Totem like Ukabu . . . if too far away not big deal...

BK

Yeah!, in these games I search everything, and picke everything up, and use everything... you never know what you will find. Five hitpoints, baby !

In the same idea: Years ago, while working for a certain gaming company, they were just getting used to the See / Use idea. A few friends set up an easter egg, (actually, we were always doing that) you came upon a meadow of sheep. "See - sheep" baaa "Use - sheep" BAAAAAAA!!!!!!! you should have heard the sound, and the call we got when management was told after beta testers found it. ROTFLMAO

------------------

The RudeDawg
Known in these Forgotten Realms as Perin LightEyes
and my girlfriends, Pamila and Pfil
RudeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote