Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2001, 11:50 PM   #21
Dragonrider
Dungeon Master

Hi! Dragonrider here. You can train your characters up to 20 by using the guilds. Give them points until they reach 18. Start training in the guild for 19 and 20. Then use the anhks to go past the 20 mark. You should save all anhks until you reach 20 otherwise you will be wasting them. Hope this helps somewhat.
Dragonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 12:03 AM   #22
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

I love the adventures of RudeDawg, always so..............refreshing
Ryanamur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 12:28 AM   #23
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Dragonrider:
Hi! Dragonrider here. You can train your characters up to 20 by using the guilds. Give them points until they reach 18. Start training in the guild for 19 and 20. Then use the anhks to go past the 20 mark. You should save all anhks until you reach 20 otherwise you will be wasting them. Hope this helps somewhat.
THANKS ! but, too late... I used the Warrior Guild to boost my strength right away, so, at 18 it won't let me go higher. I used an anhk, so now I'm at 19. NEWBIE mistake...

Having fun, and I understand you Saz. I had trouble in other games, where I set my own restrictions. You wouldn't BELIEVE the arguments people gave me on BGII, about using a certain weapon, which I had already decided was not what an elven ranger would do. I want to TRY... It gives me a challenge, and makes me work for it.

Of course, you guys DO have WAY more experience in this game ...

I'm reminded of reading the article where a developer for BGII stated, IN PRINT, that it would not be possible to solo the game. I could imagine Perin (the old, scarred, battered elven ranger that I have been playing since the 80's, in one incarnation or other) smiling his feral smile, taking an oily rag and a whetstone, and putting the finishing touches on his arrowheads and swords.
And many others did it as well, some playing MUCH harder characters. (I know of one who soloed a JESTER in BGII)

Now, I know this game is different, I'm using the OTHER as an example. I know it will be a challenge, but I'm gonna try. One character. A Ranger. All the way. If it doesn't work, I'll be back asking for advice.

Before I piss anyone off, let me explain that I DO replay these games. And I will be playing a full party later, and trying different classes. ( wow, there are some COOL possibilities in the book) The ZENMASTER looks so cool, and did they use a Bruce Lee likeness for the Monk in the book on purpose?

OK, now... "I...AM...U-KA-BU !!!" finished the Toad Village, and with it, my second and third Guild quests. The second was, of course, to investigate the Toad village. The third was to get a sword from one of the four tombs. (Yes, mammawlin, I did find them all, but this sword wasn't there the first time. I guess it spawns AFTER the quest is given, huh?)

Now, how to kill four Swamp-Thing looking critters that spit swamp-gas at you when you are playing a single charcter. (Time to eat crow, RD) My Ranger's trusty Bow and Arrows... Look, just a while ago I was complaining about the ranged weapons in the game. NOW, I love them. It's HARD, way hard to get used to, but they work. Here's what I did. (oh, yeah, SPOILERS AHEAD)

I ran in to the toadem ( gotta love that pun), and as soon as they spawned in, I backpedalled out of there. (Literally. Back arrow) and I used my mouse to target the closest one. Fired an arrow, and I kept moving back. From a distance, it wasn't too difficult to dodge the swamp-gas attacks. (side arrow keys on my keyoard) So, it's: dodge right-fire-move left-fire-fire-move back-fire-move left-drink health potion. Rinse and repeat. Took awhile, but it worked. Then, I collected the arrows that I had missed with, and went to get my rewards.

Now, I'm thinking that the FPS games I've played are coming in handy!

BTW, I haven't used magic yet. My Ranger is learning Vine magic, but I've never been a magic user, and am not used to using it in games. IS this gonna be a big thing? Can a fighter hack-and-slash his way through W&W ???? Let me know what y'all think, and I'll let you know how I get my butt-kicked trying it !!!

Thanks for the support, y'all. This is almost as fun as playin it !

The RangerDawg

------------------

The RudeDawg
Known in these Forgotten Realms as Perin LightEyes
and my girlfriends, Pamila and Pfil
RudeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 12:43 AM   #24
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

RudeDawg wrote:
Quote:
BTW, I haven't used magic yet. My Ranger is learning Vine magic, but I've never been a magic user, and am not used to using it in games. IS this gonna be a big thing? Can a fighter hack-and-slash his way through W&W ???? Let me know what y'all think, and I'll let you know how I get my butt-kicked trying it !!!
Wow, I never tried it. I imagine you could...but I'd hate to try!

If you make it through on a solo Ranger, my hat's off to you. You'd be a better gamer than I (and I go back to 1981).

-Sazerac

Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 12:45 AM   #25
mammawlin
Drizzt Do'Urden

Way to go, Dawg! Kick butt and take names and move on - too cool! We are having fun right along with you, Ranger Dawg! Enjoying the game with you as relay your decisions and actions, go get em!

Yeah, my experience with Duke came in real handy while fighting those Swamp Things too - strafe baby, strafe!

Being an avid magic user, I need it to survive. But, it sounds like you are the type of hero who will just cream the competition. You should probably keep in mind that you could use some spells for curing and protection and such, if you run out of potions or money to buy them. Other than that, you will have to tell us?!

What's next??? *Mammaw asks anxiously*

Mammawlin
mammawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 12:51 AM   #26
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
RudeDawg wrote:
Wow, I never tried it. I imagine you could...but I'd hate to try!

If you make it through on a solo Ranger, my hat's off to you. You'd be a better gamer than I (and I go back to 1981).

-Sazerac

Truth be told, Saz, I probably won't get it done without your help... I'm sure I'll be bugging you for hints later (I wouldn't have found the Raptor egg without you telling me to ask the tavernkeeper)

BTW, Saz, I just started reading your story on that site you posted the link for... TOO COOL...

OK, the mayor mentioned gypsies robbing people, but the only ones I've found is the fortuneteller and her half-naked friends. (BTW, got waylaid by some nymphs earlier, and the wouldn't let my horse move. I end up killing them, and when I picked up their stuff, I realized that it had been MINE!!! They were robbing me!) He also told me to take a scroll to someone in Ishad N'Ha. I can see Ishad N'Ha on the map I printed from this site, so I'm heading there next...

The SoloDawg riding off!!! YEEHAW !!! (I need to figure out a good name for my horse)

------------------

The RudeDawg

[This message has been edited by RudeDawg (edited 05-15-2001).]
Old 05-15-2001, 12:57 AM   #27
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

I think the bit about the "gypsies" is regarding the Lake Nymphs...the ones in the house are perfectly harmless except for the little "shakedown" they give you for a trumped-up fortune!

Thank you for saying what you did about my story, RudeDawg! Don't read any more than where you're currently at in the game, though...some of it may be "spoily" if you get my drift. I'm working on yet another chapter. Alicat's is great, too! And read Scronan's if you get a chance...the Dragon Ukabu Brew one is a HOOT!

So few people have commented on the storyline, I was beginning to think I was wasting my time...I'm glad I'm not.

Thanks once again! And good luck, my friend!

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 01:06 AM   #28
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

The only thing I love more than reading is writing, (If you've seen my post The Forging you'll see a bit of my rough stuff) and I DO read a TON.

You have a smooth style, very comfortable with your setting and charaters. I also checked out your website, and was REALLY impressed with the research you've done on Norse mythology.

When I come up there for the Blues fest, I know we're gonna have TONS to talk about !

------------------

The RudeDawg
Old 05-15-2001, 01:15 AM   #29
Knarfling
Drow Warrior

I hate to tell you this, RudeDawg, but you are not going to make it as a Ranger all the way through. If you haven't changed to a Ranger yet, it is not too late. You can change to a ranger later and make it through, but if you start at a ranger you just cannot make very far past Brimloch Roon.

This is a bit of a spoiler, but you have to know. Once you get past the Shrine of Anephas, About the only way to get back to town is to use Teleport and Call of Home spells. These are Moon Magic spells and the Ranger cannot learn them. Ony my solo character, who is now a 192 level Zen Master, I rarely use magic except Spirit Eye and the Teleport/Call of Home spells. I hack my way through everything else.

I just remembered another one. Lavawalk. You can sometimes find scrolls that will protect you, but Lavawalk has saved my burning feet several time. (Will Lavawalk cure Athelete's foot?)

That is one of the reasons that many people start out with a Wizard when going solo. It is hard to get the Stone Magic unless you start with it and that Lava can get hot. Once you are a Warlock, the Teleport and Call of Home spells are the priority. After you have those, you can go for the Ranger Quest and finish out the game as a Ranger if you like.

Whatever you decide, Good Luck'
Knarfling

------------------
Only two of my personalites have delusions, but one of them is paranoid and the other is out to get him.
Knarfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 10:26 AM   #30
mammawlin
Drizzt Do'Urden

Morning Ranger Dawg! Hope to see you this morning, wondering what all you killed and accomplished since your last update. I couldn't help but notice you are getting a lot of input - it is soooo exciting! Stay close!
As Carg said, to the Beatles melody (Hey Jude):
Hey Rude,
Don't make us sad.
Take your Ranger
and make him better.
Remember, to let us in to your heart,
then we can start to make it better.

*being corny* Mammawlin
mammawlin is offline   Reply With Quote