Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > NWN Mod: Escape from Undermountain
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2007, 08:19 PM   #1
dregnus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello. I haven't been in the Undermountain in a while, my computer broke, I have school, and a plethora of other excuses

Which brings me to my point. I love the idea of the warp system. I just feel the the process of getting the stones detracts from the "fun" of Undermountain.

Example: Even though I've rolled through level 1 a hundred times, it still took me a long time to find the stone. Not even because of the difficulty to find something small on the ground, but often times I was searching when the stone was already found. It really isnt' a fun process and often times someone will point out where it is.

The next point I have is, there is a portal to level 3, and then one to level 10. The last time I played I made it to level 7 with my level 20ish Arcane Archer. I don't want to log into the server and fight my way down to level 7 again...I'd rather just start there. You know, spend more time adventuring and less time rehashing.

My proposed solution: Either a portal to every level, or at least to multiples of 2 or 3. This would keep the "upper echelon" players from wiping out the upper levels and giving us "lowbies" something to kill. Perhaps the stones required could be awarded when you advance to the next level? On some of these levels especially, I think just making it through is worthy of an award [img]smile.gif[/img]

P.S. Awesome mod Z [img]smile.gif[/img] Been around for a while...but never for an extended period of time.

[ 01-17-2007, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: dregnus ]
Old 01-17-2007, 09:15 PM   #2
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

I would agree that going from level 3 to level 10 for a stone is a LONG stretch, especially if you're going solo. I've been very fortunate in that usually Moz or Robert the Bard (and ocassionally Wellard) are usually around and more often than not provide the muscle my character lacks at the time to move quickly through a level. Otherwise, it would take hours to fight through - and sometimes does.

I'm pretty sure Z probably has more teleporters in the works. It took a while to get the first ones up and running, so be patient a bit longer. He's making quite a few really good additions right now as it is.

Btw, there are *3* stones on level 1 to find .
Old 01-17-2007, 10:01 PM   #3
wellard
Dracolisk

The stone / portal thing is very good. ( It could do with a portal on 8) If you need help finding them just ask anyone in the game and they will gladly show you. Lke Garnet said there are three of them on level 1, 2 on level 10, 3 on level 12, 2 on level 13, and 3 on level 14 (i think) so have a good look round. They are always 'blue shiney' and when you know what you are looking for they are easy to spot. To make things quicker it is a good idea to get someone to do 'the stone run' with you (2 people = 1/2 the time )

Hope to see you 'undermountain' soon [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:48 PM   #4
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

Sad

Quote:
Originally posted by dregnus, whom we are really glad to see back and hope to see more input from:

Hello. I haven't been in the Undermountain in a while, my computer broke, I have school, and a plethora of other excuses

Which brings me to my point. I love the idea of the warp system. I just feel the the process of getting the stones detracts from the "fun" of Undermountain.

Example: Even though I've rolled through level 1 a hundred times, it still took me a long time to find the stone. Not even because of the difficulty to find something small on the ground, but often times I was searching when the stone was already found. It really isnt' a fun process and often times someone will point out where it is.

The next point I have is, there is a portal to level 3, and then one to level 10. The last time I played I made it to level 7 with my level 20ish Arcane Archer. I don't want to log into the server and fight my way down to level 7 again...I'd rather just start there. You know, spend more time adventuring and less time rehashing.

My proposed solution: Either a portal to every level, or at least to multiples of 2 or 3. This would keep the "upper echelon" players from wiping out the upper levels and giving us "lowbies" something to kill. Perhaps the stones required could be awarded when you advance to the next level? On some of these levels especially, I think just making it through is worthy of an award [img]smile.gif[/img]

P.S. Awesome mod Z [img]smile.gif[/img] Been around for a while...but never for an extended period of time.
1) I believe Ziroc is in the works of introducing recurring stones on Levels One, Thirteen, and Fourteen

2) As mentioned above, we are almost positive that Ziroc is planning on introducing a teleporter for somewhere between Levels Four and Nine (probably to Level Six to be honest).

3) Ask around for assistance if someone else is online for finding the stones. We've all done it, and quite a few of us understand that frustration of getting ALMOST to where there is another stone is, only for real life to throw us back to square one. (As opposed to Square One, the mall within Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. Worked there.) The stones are a little annoying to acquire, but it means that your character has "earned" the right to go to that level. It takes adjusting to. I am still not used to it myself, and I have quite a few characters I need to get stones for. The main one I strive for is that Level Ten stone. It's easier to manoever from there than from merely Level Three.

4) I've been around a lot because of personal reasons. If I am not around, there's plenty who'll be happy to hook up with you on a stone run. Words of wisdom: for the first cruise through, just run past everything until Level Ten. It won't get you a lot of experience points, but if you are in a bind for time it's your best move right now.

5) Welcome back, and glad to see you here.
There are no paths to power which are not fraught with confrontation. No matter the battle, a lesson must be won. In the end, the path shall fade into nothingness for the one walking it, but may go on for eternity for those whom choose to follow. One must know their own footsteps before taking that first step, or instead of choosing your battles, your battles will choose you.
Mozenwrathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:45 PM   #5
dregnus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I had a nice run through with RobertTheBard tonight. A level 6 teleporter would be nice [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-18-2007, 06:54 AM   #6
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Disregard that first little bit of the Words of Wisdom...Blindly running through a level can end up with a lot of angry adventurers if they have to come in behind you. Better to look at the map, as much of it as you can see, and pick the shortest routes through levels, where you can, if you are pressed for time. That being said, the only level where I need the map any more is 14. For some levels, there are no shortcuts, so you just have to plod through them, like lvl 7. The way I went through lvl 8 is the way I always try to go, especially if I'm running a newer char through. Sometimes it works, like it did for us, basically. Sometimes it seems like everyone on the level knows your there, and converges on you...
As to our little run, it was quite enjoyable, and I'll look for you to party with if the oppurtunity presents itself in the future. Team work is important, especially when you are traversing through Undermountain in a group, and while my little cleric is quite bossy, she's only looking out for her own best interests, er, your well being...
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:13 AM   #7
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by robertthebard, who has a very strong-willed deity-praiser around...:

Team work is important, especially when you are traversing through Undermountain in a group, and while my little cleric is quite bossy, she's only looking out for her own best interests, er, your well being...
*MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!*
Of course, your well being is directly dependent on your willingness to say "how high" when that cleric says "Jump, unbeliever!"
There are no paths to power which are not fraught with confrontation. No matter the battle, a lesson must be won. In the end, the path shall fade into nothingness for the one walking it, but may go on for eternity for those whom choose to follow. One must know their own footsteps before taking that first step, or instead of choosing your battles, your battles will choose you.
Mozenwrathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:48 AM   #8
dregnus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I had the most fun in EFU last night that I've had in a while. My last journey down got me about halfway through 7, well before that "later half". Level 8 and 9 I barely remember. I'm so used to starting from level 11, like with the previous warp system.

As I discovered on level 11 and 12, my archer is much better suited to staying out of the fight and peppering from afar [img]smile.gif[/img]

Oh...and I like the whips. I may have to mess around with a character like that. That, or I always wanted to make either a scythe guy, or a "double" weapon guy (double axe, double sword, etc).