Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2003, 01:41 PM   #1
Rokenn
Galvatron

Church members burn `Harry Potter' books, Book of Mormon

The Associated Press
8/5/03 1:21 PM

GREENVILLE, Mich. (AP) -- Librarians and clergy at other churches expressed mixed emotions after learning that members of the Jesus Non-denominational Church burned "Harry Potter" books and copies of the Book of Mormon and non-King James Version Bibles.

Other books, magazines, posters, compact discs and movies that members believe do not promote God also went up in smoke Sunday, as more than 50 people gathered outside the church for the fiery display. Among the incinerated items were a Shania Twain album, "The Woman in Me," and a Dan Aykroyd movie, "Coneheads."

Church members who sporadically shouted "Hallelujah," "Thank you, God" and "Burn, devil, burn" said the fire was divinely inspired.

"This was definitely by the Holy Spirit," said Bonnie Conran, a member and office executive at the church.

The church's bishop, the Rev. T.D. Turner Sr., said in a news release that the congregation "will burn `Harry Potter' books and other witchcraft items to let the world know that there are true followers of Jesus Christ who will not call evil good."

"We at Jesus Non-denominational Church refuse to allow Satan to take the minds of our children," Turner said. "We will do all that is in us to stand and hold up a standard of righteousness and we will win."

"It's important for children to know that Harry Potter is witchcraft," Jill Turner, the bishop's wife, told The Daily News. "It really afflicts their minds."

The Rev. Mark Shaw, senior pastor at Calvary Baptist, dismissed the book burning as a misguided publicity stunt.

"What kind of an image are they setting in the community?" Shaw asked.

Toni Jagger, director of the Alvah N. Belding Library in nearby Belding, said reports of book burnings always disturb her.

"Burning books is such an extreme," Jagger said. "Books don't have to be read if people don't want to read them. That's one of the wonderful liberties we have in America."

As long as the book burning does not prevent readers from accessing those titles or other literature, the congregation can do as it pleases, said Tara Conaway, director of the Flat River Community Library.

"They can buy books and burn them as long as they choose to burn their own books," she said. "I won't tell them what to read as long as they don't tell me what to read."

The Rev. Terry Jones, senior pastor of First Congregational Church of Greenville, agreed that members of the Jesus Non-denominational Church have the right to burn books. But he said the Bible has stood the test of time and "can stand on its own."

"We ought not be afraid of any other books or movies or anything of that nature," Jones said. "`Harry Potter' won't destroy the gospel."
Old 08-07-2003, 01:51 PM   #2
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

So Shania Twain is considered a witch???

And the movie Coneheads????

These people need help every single one of them. I don't think they have been taking their meds. The ones who really suffer are the young children because their parents beliefs are instilled in them from birth.

[ 08-08-2003, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 02:04 PM   #3
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

WML -- *best valley girl voice* -- "Whatever, Major Loser."

I say let them burn all they want. Every book burned = one book sold.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:36 PM   #4
GForce

Letter

Book burning is just plain silly. Its polluting the air, makes a big ash mess, wastes good books, and a serious bonfire hazard. Like Jagger said, you don't have to read it. That's one of the great things about American liberties. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-07-2003, 04:50 PM   #5
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

A big ash mess. R-O-F-L!!!! What a stupid ash idea, it makes a big ash mess and wastes an ash load of good books.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:38 PM   #6
Stratos
Vampire

Let's just hope that their little bonfires doesn't rages out of control, and the fumes from burning CD's and movie tapes could be dangerous to inhale. If they're not careful they might meet their Creator sooner than they'd expected.

I say give them some gas masks.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:53 PM   #7
antryg
Fzoul Chembryl

I know many people who belong to church's like this one. I was talking with one of them once about how the "King James" is the only "real" Bible and that we should believe everything in it cover to cover. I then asked him why he wasn't Anglican since the dedication page states that true believers are members of the Church of England. Once he opened up his Bible and read the page the discussion ended.
A religious "rule of thumb" is that any church that has a Bishop for every 200 members is going to be a "tad" narrow-minded.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:15 PM   #8
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
They should be crucified for burning Shania Twain stuff.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:18 PM   #9
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

My neighbour follows this train of thought, almost to the letter. I just feel sorry for her kids, whom she forces her beliefs on.
Old 08-07-2003, 09:25 PM   #10
GForce

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
A big ash mess. R-O-F-L!!!! What a stupid ash idea, it makes a big ash mess and wastes an ash load of good books.
Hmmm. Are you calling me stupid? Not appreciated yet I won't go there and call you one either.