Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2002, 08:23 AM   #111
Spelca
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by caleb:
Is there still a 5 page limit on threads?[/QB]
There's a limit? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-19-2002, 01:21 PM   #112
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
quote:
Dont be ignorant rikard......bombs are much easier. My dad is a prison guard and most of the suicides are from people locked up in solitary confinement with no entertainment. You shouldnt make it comfortable for them but at least enough to justify them wanting to live another day.
By making them live another day, you take food, money and resources from people who have done nothing wrong in their lives at all. Criminals of that sort do not need to be kept alive, really.[/QUOTE]It's called the process of law. When so called civilised countries start to act as though they are above the law, then we have REAL problems. If the West, that collectively claims to be head and shoulders above the rest of the world when it comes to justice, ceases to believe in the process of law, then what right do Westerners have to demand that others act according to law?

If you start sidestepping the process of law, then it becomes meaningless. I thought justice was a key element of the American constitution? In my country, you have to be proven guilty before you can be punished. I do not want to see that change. Once you start making exceptions to the rules, sooner or later, the rules become meaningless.

Everyone, no matter what their crimes, has the right to a fair trial. In my opinion.
Old 04-19-2002, 01:37 PM   #113
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
quote:
Originally posted by Alexander:
Oh, please, feel free, without extra people it will become rather tedious.
Sorry Alex - you will learn, as we have, that facts and proof are wasted here.

BTW MagiK I see that geography isn't your strong point either. The UK is not medium sized it is quite small. You could fit the UK into Texas three times.
[/QUOTE]Aha, the reasoned voice of Donut! You beat me to it, you bugger. Yes indeed, the UK is not just small, it is titchy. Considering it's size, it is quite wealthy though, - mostly cos we spent quite a lot of the last few hundred years taking things away from people who we didn't think were entitled to them/were too stupid to appreciate them/too stupid to stop us taking them away from them.... &tc. You get the picture....
Old 04-19-2002, 04:23 PM   #114
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
quote:
Originally posted by Alexander:
Oh, please, feel free, without extra people it will become rather tedious.
Sorry Alex - you will learn, as we have, that facts and proof are wasted here.

BTW MagiK I see that geography isn't your strong point either. The UK is not medium sized it is quite small. You could fit the UK into Texas three times.
[/QUOTE]Aha, the reasoned voice of Donut! You beat me to it, you bugger. Yes indeed, the UK is not just small, it is titchy. Considering it's size, it is quite wealthy though, - mostly cos we spent quite a lot of the last few hundred years taking things away from people who we didn't think were entitled to them/were too stupid to appreciate them/too stupid to stop us taking them away from them.... &tc. You get the picture....
[/QUOTE]Hehehe I did not mean its physical size, and I was wrong about it being medium sized too...I was speaking of its heart [img]smile.gif[/img] and it's influence. But I freely admit that I was completely wrong about it's heart.

Old 04-19-2002, 04:26 PM   #115
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
quote:
quote:
Dont be ignorant rikard......bombs are much easier. My dad is a prison guard and most of the suicides are from people locked up in solitary confinement with no entertainment. You shouldnt make it comfortable for them but at least enough to justify them wanting to live another day.
By making them live another day, you take food, money and resources from people who have done nothing wrong in their lives at all. Criminals of that sort do not need to be kept alive, really.[/QUOTE]It's called the process of law. When so called civilised countries start to act as though they are above the law, then we have REAL problems. If the West, that collectively claims to be head and shoulders above the rest of the world when it comes to justice, ceases to believe in the process of law, then what right do Westerners have to demand that others act according to law?

If you start sidestepping the process of law, then it becomes meaningless. I thought justice was a key element of the American constitution? In my country, you have to be proven guilty before you can be punished. I do not want to see that change. Once you start making exceptions to the rules, sooner or later, the rules become meaningless.

Everyone, no matter what their crimes, has the right to a fair trial. In my opinion.
[/QUOTE]I was speaking of workig within the law as writen. We as a society are free to write the law to suit the needs of the society. In the USA we do this based on the Constitution and the Bill of rights. There is nothing in either of those documents that disallows us to write a death penalty or public caning into our criminal punishments.

Old 04-19-2002, 04:28 PM   #116
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Spelca:
[QB.[/QB]
Oooh, we could hang them on trees and leave them there to rot as a reminder to others... [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] (<-- notice the sarcasm please)[/QB][/QUOTE]

Heh thats a nice idea but unfortunatley unworkable due to infectious diseases and vermin.

Old 04-19-2002, 04:32 PM   #117
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Yes, good old Great Britain... we may be small, but we're feisty!!!
Personally I always like to note how two of the largest empires built up originted from a comparitively small country, basically Italy and Great Britain, we are a tiny county, but we had our fingers in every pie, and same with the Romans.
Old 04-19-2002, 04:34 PM   #118
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Spelca:
Oooh, we could hang them on trees and leave them there to rot as a reminder to others... [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] (<-- notice the sarcasm please)
Hey.. you're right, I mean, it's not like we left things like the Bloody code behind that long ago is it??
Please note the sarcasm here too
Old 04-19-2002, 05:51 PM   #119
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by AzureWolf:
quote:
Ok I don't remember if it was the Washington Post or MSNBC but the last I heard, since Austrailia has enacted its tough firearms laws, their crime rate has increased....whats up with that?
Long story but whatever you heard sounds very biased towards the Aus pro-gun lobby. Basically its because our police commissioner was a lot of talk and no action. Mostly because of Sydneys rapid growth, along with a bigger population base, there is a massive influx of asian gangs in the Cambramatta suburb of Sydney.[/QUOTE]Yes, if this is the case, you should be very hesitant to infer any sort of causality from what is obviously correlational data. The pro-gun lobby has all sorts of 'proof' that we all need semi-automatic weapons to protect our families from the ravening Indonesian hordes . Some even suggest that the Port Arthur massacre (that prompted the tightening of the gun laws) is some sort of government conspiracy theory to take our guns away. There are many factors in the rising crime, and I would think that the gun laws would be but a tiny part, if any at all.
Old 04-20-2002, 02:57 AM   #120
Katherine
Zhentarim Guard

My goodness, [img]graemlins/bunny.gif[/img] did you read about the bunnies today? It was disturbing. They are [img]graemlins/bunny.gif[/img] everywhere!

Maybe the Dutch gov [img]graemlins/bunny.gif[/img] ernment resigned because of the bunnies?