Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2001, 02:39 PM   #1
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Anyone else used the program Rebirth RB-338?

What about Reason?

Reason came highly recommended and seems brilliant. Mac and P.C. apparently.

I've been trying a demo of Rebirth, and it was fun at first, but seems very limited. It's use could only ever be for very specific musical genre needs.

Anyone else? Or am I alone in this......

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 11-30-2001, 03:52 PM   #2
Sorcerer Alex

I have Rebirth, Yorick. It works quite well, and it isn't that limited, once you explore all its functions. You can also import sounds (wav files) and use them too. That's how I like to use it, I use it as my main program, with hundreds of imported samples either downloaded from the internet or from another program or cd.

I've never heard of Reason, is it any good?

I didn't know you were as musical on the computer as you are in real life, by the way. Good luck with your stuff, mate [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-30-2001, 09:11 PM   #3
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Hey Yorick, I got a problem with this computer...Logic's working great for mixing - no slowing or stopping, but when I record with it, the monitor sound is delayed - you can turn monitoring off, but when you're singing...
Did you ever come across this? I reduced the latency but it will only go so far until it screws up. Help!
Old 11-30-2001, 11:26 PM   #4
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

quote:
Originally posted by Leonis:
Hey Yorick, I got a problem with this computer...Logic's working great for mixing - no slowing or stopping, but when I record with it, the monitor sound is delayed - you can turn monitoring off, but when you're singing...
Did you ever come across this? I reduced the latency but it will only go so far until it screws up. Help!

There is an unavoidable latency with Isis When you mix, you can't hear it. Normally it automatically moves recorded parts to where they should be, but when things have been running hot, I've had to manually move parts forward. ('cause you hear them late, so sing late)

However, go into the audio system menu and switch on "global disable". Too hear the direct sound back through headphones you need to go to the souncard menu and increase direct level from the desired input. (if I recall correctly..... I've done so much platform swapping lately)

The way your input chain is working (mic - preamp - compressor - Isis), to hear stereo you need to split the single output (from the compressor) into TWO inputs, using the grey 1 stereo jack to two mono jacks. Record only one as usual, but use both to monitor. There doesn't seem to be a panning option unfortunately.

Using he Isis menu you can set level to tape independently from monitoring level.

It sounds more complex than it actually is, but is an unfortunate limitation I managed to work around.

Even with MOTU/VST here there is a 48 millisecond latency. I monitor through the desk, and hear back through the P.C.

With Protools/Digidesign of course there is no audible latency, but then protools is heaven [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-30-2001, 11:35 PM   #5
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

quote:
Originally posted by Arledrian:
I have Rebirth, Yorick. It works quite well, and it isn't that limited, once you explore all its functions. You can also import sounds (wav files) and use them too. That's how I like to use it, I use it as my main program, with hundreds of imported samples either downloaded from the internet or from another program or cd.

I've never heard of Reason, is it any good?

I didn't know you were as musical on the computer as you are in real life, by the way. Good luck with your stuff, mate [img]smile.gif[/img]

You can import WAVs? Interesting. Well it seemed good and then not good, so with this recommendation I'll investigate it further. It did seem quite intuative.

Reason is brilliant. It's a comparitively low memory using collection of virtual sound modules and sampler. Used in conjunction with a good midi programmer, like VST or Logic it'd be brilliant.

I often import between various programs. I use Acid for loop assembly, import into VST for midi programming, and wherever possible, record audio on protools. From what I can gather Reason sits alonside a VST and provides sounds for it.

Rebirth looks like a great dance alternative to Acid. Acid deals more with loops already recorded, but this seems to generate interesting electronic bases quite quickly. I thought I'd have to use Acid and VST to create more interest, but if you can import WAVs.....

hmmmm

Thanks mate. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-01-2001, 04:37 AM   #6
Sorcerer Alex

Ahh.... sorry Yorick, seems I got confused there for a minute. Rebirth doesn't have an import feature, after all. I have a lot of music programs, and I was thinking of another one.

I've just done a bit of research though, and looked at the reviews and specifications for both Reason and Rebirth, and I have to say I honestly think you'll get a lot more out of Reason. Sorry for the mix up, by the way, it can easily happen when you use so many different programs.

Old 12-01-2001, 04:55 AM   #7
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

quote:
Ahh.... sorry Yorick, seems I got confused there for a minute. Rebirth doesn't have an import feature, after all. I have a lot of music programs, and I was thinking of another one.

I've just done a bit of research though, and looked at the reviews and specifications for both Reason and Rebirth, and I have to say I honestly think you'll get a lot more out of Reason. Sorry for the mix up, by the way, it can easily happen when you use so many different programs.

No worries. Thanks mate. [img]smile.gif[/img]

The rebirth freeware demo is quite restricted. Unable to save work, and the program quits after 15 minutes. They could easily have disabled the import feature if there was one.

I know the feeling of multi program confusion...

What do you normally use? What do you play? I noticed Eldroth was your closest NPC. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-01-2001, 05:13 AM   #8
Sorcerer Alex

Well, my main program is one called 'Magix Music World', it's absolutely brilliant, it comes with thousands of samples which can be expanded through extra cd's which you can buy. It has countless feautures, and definitely can import wav files [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I bought it here in the Netherlands, but I know it's also available in English. It's infinitely expandable, there are always extra cd's you can buy to upgrade it all. I'm sure that if one was to have their entire collection of cd's, one would indeed have everything in the field of music creation on the pc.

And as for Eldroth.... yes, him and I are indeed kindred spirits

I certainly agree on your closest NPC's. Didn't know you were a tree hugger though

It's a pleasure to meet you though, Yorick. I've heard people say many good things about you on here, and I feel inclined to believe them [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-01-2001, 05:22 PM   #9
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

quote:
Well, my main program is one called 'Magix Music World', it's absolutely brilliant, it comes with thousands of samples which can be expanded through extra cd's which you can buy. It has countless feautures, and definitely can import wav files [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I bought it here in the Netherlands, but I know it's also available in English. It's infinitely expandable, there are always extra cd's you can buy to upgrade it all. I'm sure that if one was to have their entire collection of cd's, one would indeed have everything in the field of music creation on the pc.

And as for Eldroth.... yes, him and I are indeed kindred spirits

I certainly agree on your closest NPC's. Didn't know you were a tree hugger though

It's a pleasure to meet you though, Yorick. I've heard people say many good things about you on here, and I feel inclined to believe them [img]smile.gif[/img]

I haven't heard of that one. Interesting. Where in Nederland are you from bro? I've been to Amsterdam, and it's one of the nicest cities I've been in. Right up there. Very very very pretty, hip, cultured and vibey.

Oh and great pancakes.... (Mel? you there? )

Arledrian, the pleasure of meeting is all mine [img]smile.gif[/img] Many thanks. [img]smile.gif[/img]

It's good to be able to talk music programs here. We'll have to swap material. Vicotnik and I did a while back. He's an extraordinary Violinist from Iceland. Very very good. He's got the whole fast fiddle style down.

Old 12-01-2001, 06:04 PM   #10
Sorcerer Alex

I live forty minutes north of Amsterdam, and go there as often as my schedule will allow. I agree with you, it certainly has something undefinable, I've been to many places and I have to say that Amsterdam is one of my favourite cities in the world. And you're right about the pancakes, they too rank highly

I've heard Vicotnik mentioned here a few times, actually. Seems a decent chap, though I doubt I'll be able to meet him properly as he isn't on Ironworks these days. Not that I know many people anyway, I've only been around since the summer.

Yes, it is nice to be able to talk about music programs, I was feeling quite alone up until now. Which types of music do you most identify with? I personally like whatever reflects my mood at the time, which varies incredibly.

Well, I'm turning in for the night, I've had a long day. Take care and I'll speak to you again soon, my friend [img]smile.gif[/img]

And please, call me Alex [img]smile.gif[/img]