Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2001, 01:34 PM   #1
RadioClash
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Does this spell ever work? Seems to me that this should reduce enemies to pieces. I constantly drop it into packs of enemies to no effect. Is it a bug? I have the latest patch and everything...

I tossed this spell at a pack of 6-7 goblins this morning with a 16th level sorcerer. The globes clearly made contact with all of the goblins in the pile. The result? One goblin was petrified, the remainder were all "uninjured". Tips, ideas?
Old 04-04-2001, 02:13 PM   #2
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Sorry, I have no idea. Just wanted you to know someone read your question

------------------

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear ignorant,
than open it and remove all doubt!
Old 04-04-2001, 02:18 PM   #3
RadioClash
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks anyway. Does anyone else find this spell difficult to use? The rays clearly make contact with monsters and have no effect...

My 7th level spells are Mordenkainen's Sword and Prismatic Spray. Does anyone have any suggestions for a 7th level spell other that Prismatic Spray? I have the minor spell sequencer (level 4) and spell trigger (level 8), so I don't think I'll take the level 7 spell sequencer. Suggestions?
Old 04-04-2001, 02:22 PM   #4
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

RadioClash...

I think that Prisamatic Spray is probably not working as well as you'd expect due to the fact that the victims get a save for each effect. I *think* that a save with this spell = no effect, doesn't it???

As far as good 7th level spells...I can't remember all of them, but I really like the Death Spell, Finger of Death, and Greater Malaison. I'm not 100% sure that all of those are 7th level, however.

------------------

My *God* man...would you *please* eat something!?
Old 04-04-2001, 02:23 PM   #5
ShadowUK

I found Primistic spray very good........
Are you sure it's primistic spray and not Ruby red ray of reversal?
they look very similar

------------------
Old 04-04-2001, 02:27 PM   #6
Azred
Drow Priestess

Quote:
Originally posted by RadioClash:
Does this spell ever work? Seems to me that this should reduce enemies to pieces. I constantly drop it into packs of enemies to no effect. Is it a bug? I have the latest patch and everything...

I tossed this spell at a pack of 6-7 goblins this morning with a 16th level sorcerer. The globes clearly made contact with all of the goblins in the pile. The result? One goblin was petrified, the remainder were all "uninjured". Tips, ideas?
Prismatic spray creates 7 colored beams/effects; each different effect has only a 14% chance of hitting a particular target. Three effects (blue, indigo, and violet) have a saving throw to avoid any unpleasantness altogether; this is 42% of the spell. In short, with a successful save this spell has no effect almost half the time. I agree that the visual spell effect is neat, but this is one spell I almost never use.

------------------
An intelligent mind is the key to the universe.

The most distressing thing about practicing magic is the fact that even the most learned sorcerers cannot accurately describe what magic *is*....
Old 04-04-2001, 04:44 PM   #7
Lord Shield

I never used it at all. If they had Prismatic WALL now, that would be tempting

Old 04-04-2001, 05:13 PM   #8
Azred
Drow Priestess

One of my favorite spells from P&P AD&D was "wall of force". There were so many valuable and wonderful applications for that spell (which created an invisible yet indestructible wall of magical energy)....

------------------
An intelligent mind is the key to the universe.

The most distressing thing about practicing magic is the fact that even the most learned sorcerers cannot accurately describe what magic *is*....
Old 04-04-2001, 05:30 PM   #9
RadioClash
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Azred-

Where did you hear about this 14% chance? The manual states:"Any creature that is caught within the area of effect will be touched by one or two of the rays."

In my mind, it sounds inevitable that all creatures in the path will be hit by *something*.
Old 04-04-2001, 05:44 PM   #10
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I also used prismatic spray thinking it would be great....yep it sucks. Tried it twice and never used it again