Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2002, 09:36 AM   #1
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

I have a few questions about conversation scripting.

1) How can you make sure certain dialogue only appears during your first conversation with someone.

2) How can you make an NPC teleport away or leave the map after a conversation?

3) How can you make text appear above an NPC's head?

And an stupid off-topic question:
4) How do you make signposts readable?
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 09:54 AM   #2
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

There's a great tutorial available at BioWare for that. I still can't get my area transitions to work, so I haven't even tried conversations yet.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 10:28 AM   #3
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

I already did the official mapbuilding tuturial. But these things weren't in it. (Well, except1, but even after copying the script for it from a working module, it still won't function.)
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 12:31 PM   #4
Chewbacca
Zartan

First off I I recomend this site for finished scripts:

http://www.korinth.com/nwn/index.shtml

Now to your questions:
1. This has every thing to do with setting and checking local variables during different conversation nodes and can all be done with the script wizard.

http://nwvault.ign.com/modules/tutor...der062302.html

This tutorial on making quests describes a similar procedure.

First create a conversation BACKWARDS! like this:

1.NPC: I wont say that again.
2.PC: Jerk!
3.NPC: Hello, I wont say hello again.
4.PC: what u talking bout?

On line 1 go to the Text Appears When tab on the lower left of the screen.
click script wizard and select local variable.

In the top right input line write nFirtTimeTalked.
In the bottom right input line write 1 and then click the "add" button right next to it.
Save the script, something short, sweet and easy to find.

Then go to line 3 of the conversation, select the Actions Tab, click on script wizard and then select local variable.

Do the exact same thing as line 1, but save the script under a new but similar name.

save and test!

There you have it.

2. I tweaked this script for my mod. I love the spell effect that it comes with!
You can edit the line that begins with SpeakString to change what your npc says when teleporting. I placed the script on the actions taken tab on the last line of a conversation.

http://www.korinth.com/nwn/scripts/n...eport_away.htm

3.If you make a conversation and add only one node for the npc, add NO player responses, then when you talk to the npc the text will appear over their head as a one-liner.

4. Havent done that yet, but I can make placeables/doors "talk" when used/opened. If that would Help I can tell you how.

I will be happy to email you .erfs to import and if you want to help test an unfinished single player module, I'll send you that too. Inside it you can find examples of the first 3 things you asked for, so even if you dont want to "test" it, it may help with scripting. I have learned so much by poking around other peoples work and the official campaign in the toolset.

edit ( I cant spell and get left and right mixxed up when I have a migraine! doh!)

[ 08-05-2002, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]