Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2004, 08:55 PM   #1
The Fallen One
Elminster

Which is the better class? my friend and i got into an argument about which one is better and why? I said that Mages are better cuz they can cast stuff from scrolls and get alot of exp for each scribed spell. he said taht sorcs are better cuz they can cast spells alot more than mages and they dont have to memorize teh spells.

**And also, can sorcs learn lvl 9 spells ?

[ 01-25-2004, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: The Fallen One ]
Old 01-25-2004, 09:30 PM   #2
LennonCook
Jack Burton

1. Sorcerers can cast from scrolls, too.
2. Sorcerers make their decisions as to which spell they'll cast in combat - not last night.
3. Mage has to find scrolls... Sorcerer gets them on level up, chosen by the player.
4. A mage's spellcasting is affected by their intelligence. A sorcerer's is not.
5. A mage's chance to learn a spell is hampered by stats (on Core and above). A sorcerer's is not.
6. Yes, Sorcerers can cast level 9 spells - if you have TOB, or something to extend their spelltables.
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 09:51 PM   #3
Nerull
Lord Ao

If it is your first time playing the game, go with a mage. Until you know the spell system, you could end up making a spell choice with a sorcerer that could come back to haunt you. However, there are plenty of spell lists for sorcerers out there (just search for them and you'll find them). The only bad part about a mage is that you could not memorize something that you find out later you need. Always a risk, especially your first time through without walkthroughs. That's why it's a good idea to have 2 mages and 2 clerics your first time through (to give extra casting slots to the party, so you can "spread out" a little bit). Also, keeping scrolls of those "lesser used" spells is a lifesaver. Always buy scroll cases when you find them.

However, once you know the spell system, and realize that you can use scrolls, wands, etc., the sorcerer rules. You really don't use that many spells out of each spell level on a regular basis. Thus, you choose the spells you know you'll use a lot, then just keep a scroll case or two with the spells you'll need on those rare occasions. You'll have extra castings of all of your main spells, and don't have to choose in advance how many castings of each you will need.

Best bet if you are using a party is to have one of each (one sorcerer, one wizard). The sorcerer knows the main spells used by the party, while the wizard is there to back up the sorcerer and to memorize spells that the party needs on occasion.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 06:01 AM   #4
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

i wonder.. in a real life D&D world (as if it can be real [img]tongue.gif[/img] ).. i think a mage would have an advantage simply because he knows more things than a socerer since a socerer is just superior in combat casting thats all. but with a mage he can do alot of stuff like potions, writing spells, cast non-combat stuff (which is not part of the bg2 engine)

what do you think?

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 09:54 AM   #5
philip
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Harkoliar:
i wonder.. in a real life D&D world (as if it can be real [img]tongue.gif[/img] ).. i think a mage would have an advantage simply because he knows more things than a socerer since a socerer is just superior in combat casting thats all. but with a mage he can do alot of stuff like potions, writing spells, cast non-combat stuff (which is not part of the bg2 engine)

what do you think?
3rd edition? I'd say sorcerers are better, they can cast what they need and not what they think they needed. Most of the time I play pit fights against other PCs I have some sorcerer in my character. Depends on the spell choice of the mage but most of the time if you pick the right spells you can block almost anything but a few spells somehow.
philip is offline   Reply With Quote