Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2001, 06:09 PM   #1
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

...is International Stuttering Awareness Day. I would like to use this day to make you aware of how unconsciously most of you use one of humanity's great gifts - speech. I would like you to spend a moment to dwell on the 60 million stutterers in the world for whom speech has always been accompanied by the niggling fear of stuttering, who have fought long battles against their problem, sometimes to win - often to lose. Stuttering is not the worst problem there is in the world, but it is very frustrating. Most of you take communication for granted, while for many stutterers speaking is a torture, to be avoided at all costs. Even for those of us who try not to let our disability affect our lives, it is too easy to sometimes say nothing when you could have contributed something, to let the telephone ring instead of answering it, not to speak to a stranger instead of starting a conversation. Ignorance of many people regarding stuttering does not help the problem. Opinions like "stutterers are less intelligent than other people" and "stuttering is contagious" make life harder for we who try to combat our problem, try not to let it influence our decisions and actions. These are several links on which you will find more information about the problem, I ask that you look at them - if only for a moment, while you have nothing to do. The time will not be wasted.
www.nsastutter.org
www.stutteringhomepage.com
www.stuttersfa.com
Famous people who stutter (the list is long!): www.d.umn.edu/~trandol1/laura.htm
I do not say this only for me, but for all stutterers who have had their life made difficult by the ignorance of people who do not stutter. I hope to change that, even if the change is small.
Thank you for your attention.

*steps off soapbox*

BTW, it's midnight here so it is already the 22nd.

------------------

Sapphire Dragoness of ALSB
Waitress at Cloudy's Cafe
Guardian of the Temple of Aerie (specialized in GenCon and BG)
Magess of Lady Lioness' Court
Saint of the SoS
Historian of IW
Most Illustrious Arch-Magess of the Illuminati
Lux omnis est
Once Upon A Paper Writer's Forum

[This message has been edited by Kaz (edited 10-21-2001).]
Old 10-21-2001, 06:10 PM   #2
Vampire

I agree Kaz! We take so many things for granted. Imagine if you had that problem how painful and difficult it would be...

[This message has been edited by Avatar (edited 10-21-2001).]
Old 10-21-2001, 06:12 PM   #3
Kaz

Quote:
Originally posted by Avatar:
I agree Kaz! We take so many things for granted. Imagine if you had that problem how painful and difficult it would be...

[This message has been edited by Avatar (edited 10-21-2001).]
*ahem* I DO. That's one of the reasons I posted this.
Old 10-21-2001, 06:13 PM   #4
Legolas the Elven Archer

I agree with you completely
Luckily, for all those stutterers (and everybody else) we use keyboards here. No problems with communication at the Ironworks, thanks to Ziroc's great mind

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

[This message has been edited by Legolas the Elven Archer (edited 10-21-2001).]

Old 10-21-2001, 06:13 PM   #5
Vampire

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaz:
*ahem* I DO. That's one of the reasons I posted this.

huh? yeesss.. errr what are you talking about?
Old 10-21-2001, 06:17 PM   #6
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

yes, i agree! speech is such a beautiful thing to have, and shoudlnt be taken for granted. i too have a speech condition, it doesnt have a name yet as it only affects a few people. anyone who has a speech empediment has to work harder, and i think this is a great point! ive never heard those opinions though, but im sure theyre actual opinions of what people think (almost botched that last sentence!). and i'll check out those links as soon as i have time (which is now )

------------------
It's simple. Once the Planet is hurt, it gathers Spirit Energy to heal the injury. The amount of energy gathered depends on the size of the injury...What would happen if there was an injury that threatened the very life of the Planet? Think how much energy would be gathered! Ha, ha, ha. And at the center of that injury, wil be me. All that boundless energy will be mine. By merging with the energy of the Planet, I will be come a new life form, a new existence. Melding with the Planet, I will cease to exist as I am now. Only to be reborn as a 'God' to rule over every living soul.

What are you saying? Are you trying to tell me you have feelings now? Ha, ha, ha... Stop acting as if you're sad. And there's no need to act as if you're angry either. Because, Cloud, you are... a puppet.

Shadow Dragon of the DotW
Super Sephiroth, slayer of the Uber Fluffy, and battle co-ordionator and defender of the HADB clan.
Follower of the mighty Fallen Paladin himself.
Diplomacy is all and well, but HADB is better!
Head of the IronWorks Intelligence Division
Official Soup Server and bumper of Cloudy's Cafe
Possessor of the Aerie Diamond Head from the ALSB.
Page in the Court of Lady Lioness

Stalking the woodlands,
the Lioness in my sight,
warm feelings doth come,
into my lonely heart
Old 10-21-2001, 06:24 PM   #7
Grojlach
Zartan

Hmm, I stutter a little from time to time, but that's mainly because I'm a chatterbox and sometimes stumble over my own enthousiasm to tell something...

------------------
Not a member of any clan and is cool with that.
Talk about anything you want at The Elysium..
For online roleplaying, check The Elysium Gaming Project.
Old 10-21-2001, 06:27 PM   #8
Legolas the Elven Archer

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
Hmm, I stutter a little from time to time, but that's mainly because I'm a chatterbox and sometimes stumble over my own enthousiasm to tell something...
A well known occurance. Two years ago there was a girl in my class who couldn't talk fast enough to keep up with her own thoughts. We couldn't get a word in either

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Old 10-21-2001, 06:32 PM   #9
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Legolas the Elven Archer:
A well known occurance. Two years ago there was a girl in my class who couldn't talk fast enough to keep up with her own thoughts. We couldn't get a word in either

ROFL!!

Kaz, I honestly can't believe that there are people nowadays who think stuttering is contagious (I mean, come ON!) or a sign of stupidity, but I agree we often take it for granted that we can speak freely, and I think it's great there's an International Awareness day for it!!

------------------
Melusine, Sultry Elflet,
High Queen of Fluffies,
Archbabe of the OHF,
LH, HADB and ORT!

Your voice is ambrosia
Amy Brown Fantasy Art
Old 10-21-2001, 06:34 PM   #10
Kaz

Quote:
Originally posted by Legolas the Elven Archer:
However, stuttering as a speech problem is something different. Symptoms are - when you get nervous you stutter more, problems with certain letters (for instance vowels with me), and - above all - pressure build-up. A stutterer cannot get out of a block easily, he or she builds up pressure in the vocal chords, chest, and - sometimes - in limbs, face, eyelids etc. Almost all stutterers (me included) make strange grimaces while stuttering, squeeze our eyes shut, wave our hands spasmatically, tilt our head back, etc. This is one of the side-effects of stuttering.