Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2003, 12:58 PM   #11
Lovisa
Manshoon

well said mate [img]tongue.gif[/img] I think racism is stupid. I don't get how u can dislike someone just because he isn't like u. Well people have to live their way and I'm not gonna get involved in that discussion, I've had enough of it already [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2003, 01:03 PM   #12
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Lovisa:
well said mate [img]tongue.gif[/img] I think racism is stupid. I don't get how u can dislike someone just because he isn't like u. Well people have to live their way and I'm not gonna get involved in that discussion, I've had enough of it already [img]tongue.gif[/img]
I think you are hiding from the truth..this is going on all the time all around you...THE only reason people don't like other people is because they "are not like you" in some way or sense..

[ 05-19-2003, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 05-19-2003, 01:04 PM   #13
FelixJaeger
Symbol of Cyric

Read "To Kill A Mocking Bird" - By Harper Lee. Has a lot of good quotes about racism...
Old 05-19-2003, 01:08 PM   #14
DJG
Symbol of Cyric

IDIOTS!

I've never personally been subject to racism, but I want to gut the people that are racist. They're just completely unreasonable!

I'm not going to get into it......
Old 05-19-2003, 03:19 PM   #15
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Well racists are so stupid. They think they are the best yada,yada,yada.
I wonder how they would feel if someone would be like they are?
Eh?Eh?
Old 05-19-2003, 03:28 PM   #16
MagiK

Just out of curiosity....***puts on devils horns and tail*** do racists not have a right to their opinions just as anyone else does?

Personally, Im of a mind that opinions are allowed, actions are not. Seems to me that by being so hatful toward the racist, you are becoming just as bad.

Edit: Who has the right to an opinion...and who does not...in a free society should there not be tolerance for all ?

[ 05-19-2003, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 05-19-2003, 03:54 PM   #17
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

Just out of curiosity....***puts on devils horns and tail*** do racists not have a right to their opinions just as anyone else does?
Yes, with limits. (1) The constitution prohibits the gov't from "sponsoring" or supporting discrimination. (2) The civil rights act prohibits discrimination in the workplace and insists public places of business be open to all regardless of race, color, creed etc. (you've heard the list before). (3) In some states, hate crime laws stiffen penalties for violent acts committed on the basis of racial hatred.
Quote:
Personally, Im of a mind that opinions are allowed, actions are not. Seems to me that by being so hatful toward the racist, you are becoming just as bad.
Well, yes. I find myself often saying the only thing I absolutely will not tolerate is intolerance. As with other obvious conundrums faced in my often-contradictory existence, I get over this and move on.
Quote:
Edit: Who has the right to an opinion...and who does not...in a free society should there not be tolerance for all ?
Well, again, does that mean tolerate the intolerant? You can throw most arguments on their head this way. Besides, just because they have the right to hate based on race, I have the right to hate based on hate. The Dixie Chix found out recently that having the right to say what you please does not make you immune from people disagreeing. I am permitted to hate the hateful, and love to do so.
Old 05-19-2003, 05:16 PM   #18
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Well, at present we've got a big problem with racists over here - the British National Party are thriving in Northern Britain, much to the despair of the vast majority of people. If we knew all the reasons, or were prepared to accept all the reasons, then the problem would be solved. For my money, the reason these people have a foothold is that on a very superficial level they're right...

Ok, now I don't mean what you think I mean by that - when they proclaim that mixed race communities in Northern cities aren't working they're right. But the communities aren't failing *because* they're mixed race, but because integrating any large group of people simply by dumping them into a poor community is just simply not going to work. People in Burnley and Oldham are not enjoying a particularly good standard of living at the moment, as the region has been systematically screwed by the powers that be for years. So when another large group of people show up to share in the poverty its very easy to see them as in some way responsible for the situation, as opposed to being equally subject to it.

Anyway, basically, if we knew (and I mean really *knew*) all the reasons and were prepared to act on them then I think there wouldn't be a problem any more. The questions a poser in other words, its hard to give a complete answer.
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Old 05-19-2003, 09:08 PM   #19
MagiK

Barry....where did the big bus load of new comers come from? Just my curiosity...I mean we get boat loads of asians here and of course the odd raft of cubans...but I have only heard vague rumors of migratory herds of people in europe [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-19-2003, 09:23 PM   #20
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

People are ignorant, they have petty arguements over something as minor as skin color. I have no problem with anyone, no matter if they were black, white, brown, purple, aqua, so forth because I don't narrow my mind to a point where I pin how one person acts to their entire race. People that act different from one another with it bothering another set of people makes them angry, so they go for blaming skin color and what they don't realize is, is that just because one person acts like that doesn't mean that the other million acts like that too.

It's weird though, a person can even look down on their race as if it were inferior and think they were another, it's just all a matter of opinion in the long run.