Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 01:21 PM   #111
Vassago
Manshoon

Well, the designers decided to have some kind of limitation for the game. Walking into the Ice Palace with level 12 characters will bascially kill everything in there without much effort. I think to keep it balanced, they figured a party of 6 should be around 8 or 9. I mean obiviously, walking in there with level 6 characters is going to be a huge pain in the hind end because, IMO, your characters are just really starting to identify when they reach level 6. Usually by then, you've started them down the road of their main class and haven't really built them up in that class (w/ the exception of single class character, but even then some don't really acheive their powers until 6 or later they are just starting to develop). So that's what makes it tough. In addition, if you complete the Battle Squares (which you definitely cannot do with a level 6-8 character) you'll get quite a bit of experience from those fights, which would have you walking around a higher level than you should be and thus recieving minimal amount of xp. Me personally, I like small parties. I've never taken over 4 characters in a game, too much micro managing. One of my favorite games so far has been starting with a solo character and then adding additional ones as I progress throughout the game. The new characters are meant to be permanent and I choose/create them as so. From an RP standpoint, I just say, hey so and so sailed in to help with the battle of Targos, but was to late in helping to defend the initial fight, but is wanting to tag along. Anywho, with tactics like this, the line between RP'ing and just playing a game can blur really quickly. Just remember, if you stick with your party of 3 12 level characters, they will still continue to earn task experience points and at some point they will start earning experience points from fights, it just may be awhile.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:35 PM   #112
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I did drop the other 2. So, I'm back to 4 with the Bard still lvl 1. I only used the other 2 for test btw.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:28 PM   #113
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Well, the party sure has changed since I started this thread.
But I must say, that the Fell Wood is enough to never make me want to play again. What a stupid _______ fill in the blank thing.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:18 PM   #114
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

I know what you mean. Though it is cheating, I highly recomend getting the complete route off the internet, since the alternative is hours of notetaking and guesswork.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 09:25 PM   #115
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I do have the walkthrough but it's no good. I think Sorcerer's place is probably best. Just looking at the maps helps.

I've just gone back to Battlesquares. I was worried I'd get too far away. I'm just doing lvl5 of Rank 9. I hope it's good stuff! I think I'll wait 'til morning to take it on.. night all!
Old 08-14-2005, 06:28 AM   #116
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Well that was rather bitter sweet! I jut finished the battle with the Guardian, (Black Dragon) and I got whole 637exp, how shi++y is that?

But, then I got back to the area with Iselore and had one of the (or probably the best) fights in the game! Emenies all over the place!

But the exp thing is really bad. I was getting 61 and 81 exp for all those kills.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:01 PM   #117
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Yea, this happens later in the game, sometimes even with a full party. Don't worry, quest experience is good enough in these stages.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 09:36 PM   #118
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

The other thing I noticed is that my 2 Clerics can't use some scrolls they are supposed to be able to. When I check their stats it says Favoerd Class, Fighter, but they a pure Clerics. I this why I can't equip scrolls? I also don't get to benefit from fighter only items either.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:50 PM   #119
Vassago
Manshoon

What race are your clerics? Favored class is generally based on what race your characters are. The exception to this is Human and Half-Elf in which case the favored class is based on the highest class level. What scolls are you trying to use? If you check the info on the scroll, it will tell you which characters can use them. If you clerics are solo (i.e. only Clerics and no other class mix-ins) then you won't be able to use fighter only items.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:36 AM   #120
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Both Clerics are Gold Dwarfs (battleguard of Tempus: 17) Chaotic Godd. One scroll was Sunbeam, the other I can't remember. I sold them both.