Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2002, 08:41 AM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Just wanted to update you on what is going on, and how we are doing. a HUGE thank you to all that have donated, you guys are the best! It'll be SO good to have our own DEDICATED server.

When we have our own server:

1. The speed of page loads will increase 800% (Yes 800)
2. Flood Control will be VERY low or even OFF!
3. We will be able to have a chat server installed!! (This is cool)

I've noticed how slow page loading has gotten--sometimes it makes me want to just not visit the forum to read.. But I HAVE to [img]smile.gif[/img] I'm the Webmaster. It just limits my personal reading of threads.. So the speed increase will be MY #1 thing to look forward to.

I just wanted to remind those that have been holding out, to think about donating! We've almost reached the half-way point too!!!

The Server will have the following:

Tower case
1Ghz or 1.2Ghz Athlon or P3 Processor
Motherboard
40 Gig HD
101 Keyboard
Mouse (I have a spare, so no cost)
No Soundcard.. none needed.
Windows XP License
100mb Nic card
Vidio card (something cheap)
CD rom
floppy card

that's it I think.. not a 'super' system, but it WILL be super to us! [img]smile.gif[/img] , the server we're on now is a AMD K6. yuk.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 02-01-2002, 08:50 AM   #2
Sir Exxon
Zartan

WOW!
Incredibly good news! 800% faster?! That's incredible!
Now, how much do we need, again?

see ya!
Old 02-01-2002, 08:51 AM   #3
Melusine
Dracolisk

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Exxon:
WOW!
Incredibly good news! 800% faster?! That's incredible!
Now, how much do we need, again?

see ya!

Uh, Exxon, Ziroc didn't work so hard on those buttons for nothing: there is a donation graph on the top of every page!! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-01-2002, 08:57 AM   #4
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

hmmm, just wondering... if the processor would be around 1.6ghz instead of a 1.3ghz, would it make a difference? i have been checking the prices of computer parts here lately and somehow a p3 700-800 processor is just as expensive as a AMD XP 1.6ghz. it would be around 275 US dollars... i think... (that includes the AMD motherboard and RDRam) while a p3 700 would only be a little bit cheaper because of the motherboard and ram.. but still nearly 2x faster...

Catch me if you can..
Old 02-01-2002, 09:00 AM   #5
Neb
Account deleted by Request

I'll probably be sending my small donation this weekend [img]smile.gif[/img] Glad to hear that so many people have donated [img]smile.gif[/img]

And 800%? WOW! Amazing! I can hardly believe it!

It sounds rather like a cool comp.... I wonder how good it would be for playing Counterstrike if it was fitted with a Geforce 2 and a Creative Labs surround sound system? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-01-2002, 09:13 AM   #6
Galadria1
Zhentarim Guard

It's all Greek to me, Ziroc, but I am sure it will be cool.
Lady Galadria, a proud Cavalier of Keldorn\'s Order; Oh So Simple Marshmallow Woman of the ORT. Member, HADB<br /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" -Saki<br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Old 02-01-2002, 09:23 AM   #7
adam warlock
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

woo-hoo! that server sounds it could kick butt!!!

*looks around for Ironworks banner*
Old 02-01-2002, 10:03 AM   #8
Sir Exxon
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:

Uh, Exxon, Ziroc didn't work so hard on those buttons for nothing: there is a donation graph on the top of every page!! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Yeah, I know that, but I think I recall him saying in another post that we dont need that much.
I might be wrong, though.

see ya!
Old 02-01-2002, 10:08 AM   #9
Melusine
Dracolisk

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Exxon:

Yeah, I know that, but I think I recall him saying in another post that we dont need that much.
I might be wrong, though.

see ya!

Oh, OK [img]smile.gif[/img]

Good to see the amount donated increasing already since the bar was put up [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-01-2002, 10:46 AM   #10
Melusine
Dracolisk

Just a reminder to all of us from DING FLOF BIPS (i.e. Denmark Ireland Netherlands Greece Finland Luxembourg Österreich France Belgium Italy Portugal Spain)!!
Brenda aka DragonMage has kindly offered to forward to Ziroc any Euros we send her. She is moving to Germany soon, so she could use cash Euros. This is a very easy solution for everybody who can't use PayPal or similar services but who does want to donate to the Ironworks and help pay for a new server. You can send the money to Brenda through snail mail (PM or email her for the address) and she will donate the equivalent in American Dollars to Ziroc. Some people have already agreed with DM to send money, but most members here probably don't know about this great solution yet, hence this post...
Do it people!!! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]