Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2006, 04:59 AM   #1
bubbe
Zhentarim Guard

I found a article on WoW and about how lame it is, I'm not much of a WoW-player, only played it for 2 months last summer so I don't know how much this is true at the end-game, but up to lvl30 I think this article is correct. :|

http://www.slate.com/id/2153757/?nav=ais

bye!
Old 11-17-2006, 01:51 PM   #2
Glycerine_74
Dungeon Master

I haven't seen any difference in any of the other MMOs that I've tried, and that's just about all of them. Most lasted hours or less for me, the exception being EQ which I played for about 2 1/2 months. WoW is the only one I've stuck with long enough to max out two characters, which is a pretty big accomplishment for me. Sometimes I get burned out, but I always come back for more. I either take a break and play something else, or start up a new character for a fresh perspective. I also have several of my real life friends that play on the same server, so they are yet another reason that I keep coming back.

Just like everything else, it's all a matter of personal taste. From reading this article, it's clear to me that MMOs are not this dude's cup of tea.

glyc
Glycerine_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 01:59 PM   #3
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by bubbe:
I found a article on WoW and about how lame it is, I'm not much of a WoW-player, only played it for 2 months last summer so I don't know how much this is true at the end-game, but up to lvl30 I think this article is correct. :|

http://www.slate.com/id/2153757/?nav=ais

bye!
The articles arguments are few and seem more like RPG-gripes than MMO. While some of the proposals are worth implementing, the bloke doesn't present enough to justify lame. It almost feels as if he's still playing the game...
Old 11-18-2006, 03:41 PM   #4
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

I do agree with some of the author's points, such as the fact that not enough BIG events occur. However, the recent invasion was fun, and hopefully they'll keep adding interesting aspects like that into the game. In general, the solo play in WoW is bland, but this is true for most games (grind, kill X mobs, bring back the head of Y, etc). I disagree with his assessment of the dungeons in the game; no matter how many times you run a dungeon, it'll always be a different experience unless you're doing it with the exact same people each time. The PvP aspect of the game has absolutely no repetiveness, as you need to constantly adapt and improvise to be victorious.

Still, the bottom line is that not everyone has the same interests. WoW isn't for everyone, and it's up to each person to decide whether or not they like it.

While I'm at it, here are good ways to not get bored while playing WoW.

1. Run instances with different people. This isn't to say dont run with your friends, but try to mix it up. Change the class balance. Let the Paladin tank. 3-man the dungeon. See how much you can solo.

2. Join a guild that talks a lot about non-WoW topics. My guild, which I'm co-GM of, is very fun loving and talks about all sorts of stuff. No one can get bored if they're talking on guild chat while grinding.

3. Get vent/teamspeak. Nothing beats having someone to talk to.

4. Play music. Whatever is your personal favorite helps a lot.

5. Play with friends in the same room. Even better than being able to talk to someone is being with them in person.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 04:00 PM   #5
bubbe
Zhentarim Guard

I have to say that the main reason that I quite WoW was that my friends changed server just two weeks after I started play or was lvl60 already.
I didn't want to replay all the quests I've done recently and the instance I done several times already

BUT! I really found the quests boring etc, and the instance was really repetitive. I did a instance 10 times to get what I wanted, and it was always the same problem finding a group with could work together.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:35 PM   #6
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I only skimmed it, but I strongly agree with the following points.

Quote:
Warcraft also limits your choices when it comes to gameplay. The citizens of Warcraft are like migrant workers—they get their marching orders, and they follow them to the letter. Players never face moral quandaries and never get to choose between an upstanding act and an evil one. Instead of just barging through every problem with a sword and a club, Warcraft should let players negotiate their way through conflicts. If someone pays you to run an errand, do you follow through honestly or steal their money? Should you betray one faction to win favor with another—and what happens if you pick the wrong side? Other commercial role-playing games, like the best-selling Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, are full of these types of decisions. It's time Warcraft gets with the program.

The most glaring problem with World of Warcraft, though, is the larger storyline. Lots of video game developers are wrestling with how to shape players' choices without penning them in. Warcraft's developers don't care about that. They don't tell a story so much as lead you through a theme park. Key figures from the Warcraft mythology mill around like Mickey Mouse at Disney World, waving to visitors. The giant war that's supposedly raging across the world seems to be stuck in a stalemate—neither side gains an inch of territory, and the generals stand around looking bored. Compare that to a game like The Matrix Online, where major characters hand out new challenges and even die to move the story ahead.
I played mmorpgs where you could do those things, and the personal experience was much better than the one from the Warcraft Theme park.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:46 PM   #7
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yeah, I agree about them using more big events. This is what I felt was worth implementing. World events. Not Darkmoon Faire type events but huge invasions that happen at 8 pm without warning and last until 12 that night. If you aren't playing you missed it. Thus is the way a world works. 2 or 3 nights in a row would work well, that way people can try to be online. And unlike the scourge invasion there needs to be no middle ground...if you get in the way you're dead and that's it regardless of how low level you are or if you were just making your way down to the forge to craft a copper breastplate. NPC's and shops etc. would all be desroyed and the grind as we know it would be temporarily broken. Which is kinda the point.

City of heroes did invasions and stuff like that back in the day, and it rocked my world something special.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:23 AM   #8
JC Denton
Elite Waterdeep Guard

No no get in Raidgroup then change is not boring at all do AQ 40, BWL and so on it is not boring ! I have played since the game come out and i find it very good still!!
LVL 60 is about do endgame instances not "help" lvl 20 to get up it is Raids!! and get best stuff you can get in the game!

When you get that Staff from the first boss in AQ 40 you almost cry it is the best there is for a Warlock! ;P then put 30+ spellpower on it and you rule!!

Megabot!

[ 11-19-2006, 02:41 AM: Message edited by: JC Denton ]
Old 11-20-2006, 02:26 PM   #9
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by JC Denton:
When you get that Staff from the first boss in AQ 40 you almost cry it is the best there is for a Warlock! ;P then put 30+ spellpower on it and you rule!!
Um.... no. Skeram drops Staff of the Qiraji Prophets and it is not the best.

My Staff of the Ruins (see link in sig) is better and it drops off Ossy in AQ20. Brimstone Staff (Naxx drop off Loath) and Staff of the Shadow Flame (drops off Nef) are also both better.

The best AQ40 caster weapon drop is This One.

[ 11-20-2006, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 11-20-2006, 05:45 PM   #10
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:

The best AQ40 caster weapon drop is This One.
No way! Everyone know that's a rogue weapon.
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote