Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 11:54 PM   #41
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

And about 3-4million of those WoW accounts are in China where GW hasn't been released yet.

Lets not turn this into a Gw vs WoW thread as its been beaten to death and is de-railing this topic.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:02 AM   #42
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Yeah, AOL has lots of members too, and so does IE. that doesn't mean they are the best.

Guild Wars is a game you need to play with friends, preferably over a lan, you miss out on most of the fun if youplay it solo, unless you want to random pvp.

There are no other factions in GW, or actually, there is, the computer ennemies that attack you. Honestly I don't see how it's realistic to have so much adventurers as there are in WoW, that's pretty much the whole population of that world. It's ridicullous to think that you would be out hunting alone in the forest and having someone stumble on you. How many times in the amazonian forest has an explorer been miracullously saved from some beast by someone just wandering around there? I'd say it pretty much never happened. In medieval times you could actually walk right past a town in the wood/mountains without even knowing it was there if there wasn't any smoke. It's ridicullous to think you would keep bumping into people, unless you were following some kind of highly traveled track, but even then, there aren't legions of adventurers, most people are too busy actually trying to feed themselves and their familly to just go off wandering around in the wild hoping to find an ennemy, and then even if you did you couldn't go very far from town unless you were planning on hunting for your food.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:55 AM   #43
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I don't think realism is what people are after though, when they play an online MMO fantasy game. While I agree all settings must have a sense of logic and "law" to them, I have to say on HT's point that it truly is lonely solo.

In the first pay-to-play MMO I ever played (CoH) the one thing that fascinated me was seeing other players share this world. It was exciting and totally new to me. I just thought it was the coolest thing that I assumed a role as a superhero and saw other heroes leaping over buildings or flying overhead and that they too were part of this massive world that neither of us 'owned' or could cheat in by using a code or a hack. I was still in single-player mode used to having games all to myself. I guess it was the marvel-child in me at the time but since that I fell in love with MMO's.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:12 AM   #44
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
Honestly I don't see how it's realistic to have so much adventurers as there are in WoW, that's pretty much the whole population of that world. It's ridicullous to think that you would be out hunting alone in the forest and having someone stumble on you. How many times in the amazonian forest has an explorer been miracullously saved from some beast by someone just wandering around there? I'd say it pretty much never happened. In medieval times you could actually walk right past a town in the wood/mountains without even knowing it was there if there wasn't any smoke. It's ridicullous to think you would keep bumping into people, unless you were following some kind of highly traveled track, but even then, there aren't legions of adventurers, most people are too busy actually trying to feed themselves and their familly to just go off wandering around in the wild hoping to find an ennemy, and then even if you did you couldn't go very far from town unless you were planning on hunting for your food.
It's not realistic in comparison to our world, but in the Warcaft universe it's completely possible.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:19 AM   #45
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Hivetyrant:
Without getting into another GW vs. WoW argument, I will just say this:
There are multiple reasons that 7 million people are subscribed to WoW and just over 1 million to GW's.....
First off, it's 2 mill, probably 2.5 now.
Second, I have heard a particularly nasty rumor a month ago, and I just wanna see if anyone knows(instead of guessing or believing) if it's true. I heard that WoW's number of players also counts trial accounts. Anyone know anything about that?
Old 09-19-2006, 05:45 AM   #46
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Bozos of Bones:
quote:
Originally posted by Hivetyrant:
Without getting into another GW vs. WoW argument, I will just say this:
There are multiple reasons that 7 million people are subscribed to WoW and just over 1 million to GW's.....
First off, it's 2 mill, probably 2.5 now.
Second, I have heard a particularly nasty rumor a month ago, and I just wanna see if anyone knows(instead of guessing or believing) if it's true. I heard that WoW's number of players also counts trial accounts. Anyone know anything about that?
[/QUOTE]I have not heard that, and it could very well be true, but they are not subscribers so I doubt it.....

But yeah, it could very well be true
Old 09-19-2006, 11:13 AM   #47
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Cool Dude

Okay, okay, emo moment over. Everyone chill, put on some Duran Duran, Clickey to Oogle my Leetness, watch THIS video.

Games. Fun. Mmmmm..... good.

[ 09-19-2006, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 09-19-2006, 01:48 PM   #48
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

I don't believe in Duran Duran, but I see your point. I'll go put on some Thievery Corporation and rythmically chill for a bit.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:56 PM   #49
Glycerine_74
Dungeon Master

They are two different games, period. Some people like fish, some people like chicken, some people even like both! No need to diss on one or the other, life is much better with both.

glyc
Old 09-19-2006, 05:03 PM   #50
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Can WoW be chicken though?