Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2004, 06:20 PM   #1
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
So I returned home on Saturday from a 3 week trip to Europe with my brother - he was presenting a paper at a conference in Stirling, Scotland, so he invited me and we 'did Europe' - well, as much as we could in 3 weeks minus 5 days in Stirling, plus flying to and from. A whirlwind trip, certainly nothing that could do even the places we went to, let alone the ones we couldn't, justice, but an extremely fun one.

We arrived in Paris after enduring the flight over from Australia - if you have never experienced this joy, trust me, you don't want to. We were so tired, but knew that if we tried to nap during the day it would be much worse for us, so we went straight out to see what Paris had to offer. I think it was a great thing going to Paris first in our sleepy condition, because if there were ever a city that enthused and excited you, it is Paris. Unfortunately it was a bit rainy, but nevermind. We started by walking down the Grand Boulevards, which gave us a great introduction to the beautiful buildings and architecure of Paris. Then we set off for the Pompidou, getting lost on the way - this turned out to be a blessing, because we came across the Eglise St Eustace, which is gorgeous! Pompidou, alas, is not. To be honest, I find the existence of Pompidou really enraging - it is possibly the most unattractive wank of a building ever made, and even more so that it has been allowed to be put in the middle of Paris, amongst all that beauty [img]graemlins/idontagreeatall.gif[/img] .

I think the Louvre was a highlight of Paris - we only spent half a day there and had heard all the people say 'you can't do it justice, it's just a waste of time', but we certainly put a huge chunk in it, focusing especially on the ancient stuff and not so much the paintings. We did make a foray up to the mona lisa, but, unlike some things (like David!), for me it was something that wasn't any better in the flesh, that if you've seen all the countless representations of it, that's really enough. It's so small for one thing! And you can't see it for all the people milling about in front of it. Other highlights were Napoleon's tomb, and the Eiffel tower. How unoriginal of me I know, but unlike the Pompidou, whilst it isn't in keeping with the rest of the architecture in Paris, it looks like it should be there, different but sympathetic to the landscape.

London was next. We started out at Lords, taking a tour and seeing the ashes. It was a great tour actually, and as my brother commented, for half an hour I actually understood why the ashes must stay at Lords . St Paul's was wonderful - walking up the dome was a bit scary, especially with so many people in such a small space up the top, but worth it. The view over London, also seen from the London Eye, was nice, but it's really there that you see the biggest difference between the Paris skyline and the London one. They both probably have the same number of lovely old buildings, but where in Paris there are hardly any really ugly buildings (you can't see Pompidou from on top of the Arc! ), in London there are lots, which makes the view a little less beautiful. My highlight was Westminster Abbey - I just loved the architecture and the inside. We also liked the Tube! It and the Metro were really cool. Oh, speaking of ugly buildings? Tate Modern. As much as I hate the expression.... 'nuff said'.

We went up to Stirling next. I don't know if it was the fact that I had by this time got a cold, or just was a bit sick of travelling, or the really cold weather, but I didn't really appreciate Scotland at all. Edinburgh had its charms, but it was dirty and dark compared to Paris, even though the buildings were lovely. The town of Stirling was really lovely, but the university campus where we were staying... now they pride themselves on having the most beautiful campus in Britain. I agree that the landscape is really lovely, with the loch and the castle and all. But I can't believe that in the midst of that beauty, they plunk down the most ugly, most unsympathetic concrete block buildings you've ever seen and not be a little embarrassed to comment on their vista. And I dunno, but summer should be hot! It actually didn't rain which was good, but it was probably colder there in the middle of July than it was in Brisbane also in the middle of July - except in Brisbane it's the middle of winter... [img]graemlins/uhoh2.gif[/img] . With the weather there and the constant cloudiness of London, I discovered to be totally content, I really need sunshine and warmth. I've never seen myself as a girl who needs sun - I have really pale skin for one thing which means I don't go out in the sun deliberately that often, but I guess I need it more than I realised! Stirling Castle was great, however. I also liked the Wallace Monument, however it was so windy up on the top I was frightened and couldn't look over the edge. Seriously scary. Our day trip to Hadrian's wall was probably the highlight - just like I imagined but better!

We wound up our trip in Italy - first in Florence. I had discovered by this point that I'm not a great traveller. I missed my home and my mum and my cat. Florence didn't hugely change that. It was certainly a lot warmer (a bit too hot really! There's no pleasing me! ). I loved the Duomo - the first time we saw it we were almost on top of it before it came into view - really incongruous because it is massive, and yet there are so many buildings around it you can be a street away and not know it. The inside was sparse, but the nearby museum was fantastic. The view from the campinale was also great. I have to say I don't get the Ponte Vecchio, though. We only had two days in Florence so hardly got to see anything, though we did both the Uffizi (the Botticelli and Lippi rooms were especially great - I bought a Birth of Venus umbrella! I know, I'm a stupid tourist ) and the Galleria dell'Academia. We were both captivated by David. An amazing piece of work.

If Florence left me a little indifferent, Rome was the opposite - it totally revitalised me and I didn't want to go home! The three days we had wasn't nearly enough. We did all the usual spots - didn't throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain though because I know I'll be back - I don't need a fountain guarantee for that (although some american tourists nearby were considering it - the woman wanted to know if her kids wanted some 'real coins' (aka american coins) to throw in ). We were especially taken by the McDonalds (which people were eating in!) outside the Pantheon. As you would. St Peter's Basilica was amazing, as was the Vatican Museums. We spent ages looking at the School of Athens. The Sistine Chapel I found frustrating - there's no way you could do it justice in a short time, plus it's too far away to see things properly. Again the ancient sculpture areas were a big highlight - especially the Laocoon. I found it so exciting to see all these things I'd learned about in the flesh. Ancient Rome was just as wonderful. The forums were amazing to wander about it and try and identify the buildings. The Capitoline Museums were especially great. Unfortunately we couldn't go in Trajan's forum or market, but we had a guided tour through the domus aurea - amazing. The colosseum was great too. It's funny to see these so famous buildings in the flesh - they're just like they look so you feel like you know everything there is to know, but it's different somehow.

I have to say, I was really glad to come home, even though it was a wonderful trip. I realised how much I like my city, and my university, and the stuff I'm doing at the moment. Which I think is a good thing, because you can travel and have wonderful experiences, but if you're not pleased to come back you can't travel forever! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-26-2004, 07:55 PM   #2
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Sounds like you had a great time, Aelia. Welcome back.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:05 PM   #3
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

Glad you had a good time, Mel. I'm really happy you got to see some of Europe at last. Welcome back to the forums by the way... things haven't been half as pedantic without you. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-26-2004, 08:18 PM   #4
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

In all fairness to the tate modern, it is based in an old power station, but I agree with you about westminster abbey, and the houses of parliment, superb architecture, and just oozing history. And you're right about the ashes as well,now if you can just convince Davros. [img]smile.gif[/img] . Shame you never got to meet the London Ironworkers, you must have believed the stories
Old 07-26-2004, 08:20 PM   #5
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Arledrian:
Glad you had a good time, Mel. I'm really happy you got to see some of Europe at last. Welcome back to the forums by the way... things haven't been half as pedantic without you. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
I think you're getting vacationers mixed up Arledrian [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Glad you had a good time Aelia, welcome back [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-26-2004, 08:46 PM   #6
Jorath Calar
Harper

Good to see you again [img]smile.gif[/img]

I envy you much of this triđp, I'd love to do it, specially go to Scotland again.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:00 PM   #7
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Gangrell:
quote:
Originally posted by Arledrian:
I think you're getting vacationers mixed up Arledrian [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Glad you had a good time Aelia, welcome back [img]smile.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]I dunno, maybe Aelia's real name is Mel?
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 07-26-2004, 10:15 PM   #8
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

I loved reading your post and your descriptions Aelia! [img]smile.gif[/img] Sounds like you had a good time overall, you should post some pics from the trip if you have any. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 07-26-2004, 10:19 PM   #9
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Jorath Calar:

I envy you much of this triđp, I'd love to do it, specially go to Scotland again.
Do people in Iceland go to Scotland to get some sunshine? [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:

enduring the flight over from Australia - if you have never experienced this joy, trust me, you don't want to. We were so tired,
Maybe you need to choose a different airline? Or maybe a guilty conscious kept you awake

Your post made a great read Aelia. It sounds like you had a wonderful time. Though I’m not a fan of the cities usually, I do enjoy the history that engulfs you (overwhelms sometimes) as you walk past the older parts of the major classic capitols of Europe.

welcome home

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 07-26-2004, 10:24 PM   #10
wellard
Dracolisk

Mad

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
I loved reading your post and your descriptions Aelia! [img]smile.gif[/img] Sounds like you had a good time overall, you should post some pics from the trip if you have any. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Pssssttt Lady Z

[img]graemlins/whackya.gif[/img]

Try clicking on the highlighted links Aelia made ... the subtle yellow ones [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years