Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2001, 03:50 PM   #1
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Does anyone have an interest in the SETI Project?

For those of you that do not know about the SETI Project, it is the Search for ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence. There are many 'official' SETI searches being performed world-wide and many 'unofficial' searches by amatuer radio telescope enthusiasts.

The University of California Berkeley's research project is dubbed SERENDIP (no idea what that stands for?!?!) and they have a program that you can download onto your computer that acts as a screensaver and at the same time processes(sp) data collected from the Arecibo Radio Telescope in Puerto Rico. The project is called SETI@home and I have had it running on my computer for nearly 1 year now. I thought with all of the people on this forum, this would be a great place to 'spread' the word of this program as they are always looking for more home PCs to help out. Please go to the link below to download the software.

SETI@home

------------------

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear ignorant,
than open it and remove all doubt!
Old 05-22-2001, 04:39 PM   #2
realbinky
Elminster

Short for Serendipity, probably :

A "serendipity" is a pleasant surprise or an unlooked for pleasure.
Old 05-22-2001, 09:13 PM   #3
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

I tried this sometime back, but could never the program to work on my computer. I think this project is very interesting and worthwhile.

------------------

Seeker of Truth
Old 05-22-2001, 09:30 PM   #4
Gargoyle
Manshoon

Very interesting Moridin, can't say iv'e ever been really into SETI, but this is certainly worth a look >>

------------------

Time is only relevant if you have none !
Old 05-23-2001, 05:35 AM   #5
Donut
Jack Burton

SERENDIP is the Search for Extraterrestrial Radio Emissions from Nearby Developed Intelligent Populations

------------------

Save Chip - Don't let Sarah win!
Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas
Old 05-23-2001, 08:56 AM   #6
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Moridin,

I've given this some thought in the past, but I've got to be honest...

I've got some security concerns. Someone accessing my PC and it's processor whenever needed just creeps me out. I haven't looked at the web site yet (because I'm lazy), but do they address security concerns therein?

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!
Old 05-23-2001, 10:05 AM   #7
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Throntar:
Moridin,

I've given this some thought in the past, but I've got to be honest...

I've got some security concerns. Someone accessing my PC and it's processor whenever needed just creeps me out. I haven't looked at the web site yet (because I'm lazy), but do they address security concerns therein?

I don't think it is a big security concern. The way it works is that you download and install the SETI@home program, then you connect to the UC Berkeley website and download batches of data. The program 'crunches' this data (as a screensaver) and when it is finished it notifies you. You then go back to the website and it uploads the processed data and downloads another batch. The SERENDIP people do not have access to your computer anymore than any other hacker does while you are online. I did notice that it has an option to connect without notifying you first, but you can turn this on/off as you wish. Hope that helps with some of you question

------------------

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear ignorant,
than open it and remove all doubt!