Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2001, 01:42 PM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Here's a news report on THE punch of the year so far - and no, it didn't come from Hasim Rahman.

`Thumper' unrepentant

19may01

AS A former boxer, Britain's Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott is unrepentant about punching a protester, insisting it was in self-defence.

Mr Prescott's lightning jab to the chin of an egg-throwing tormentor during a rally in North Wales made headlines around the world.
It also turned the Deputy PM into something of a Labour hero as the phone lines to radio and television stations were jammed with people defending his right to hit back.

By yesterday about 60 per cent of callers backed the Deputy PM amid calls for his resignation for failing to control his temper.

A London hotel announced a new cocktail, Prescott Punch, in his honour.

Actor Glenda Jackson, now Mr Prescott's Labour Party colleague in the House of Commons, said: "If you throw an egg in a man's face, then you have to expect a reaction.

"Politicians are there to serve the people, not serve as target practice."

Even Mr Prescott's 83-year-old mother said her son would be less of a man if he had not reacted the way he did.

The incident occurred when agricultural contractor Craig Evans, 29, threw an egg which splattered over Mr Prescott's face and jacket. The outburst has been credited with rejuvenating a jaded public, bored by the election contest between PM Tony Blair and Tory Leader William Hague.

The furore has also uncovered Mr Prescott's little known background as a boxer nicknamed "Thumper" who got into his fair share of scrapes.

The combative politician is now expected to be questioned by police as lawyers speculate about whether his actions amount to self-defence or assault.

In a statement, Mr Prescott, 62, said it was a potentially dangerous situation.

"I suddenly felt a blow to the side of my head. I responded to defend myself. It was a frightening and regrettable incident," he said.

Mr Blair also defended his deputy. "Of course it would have been better if this incident hadn't happened," he said.

"But it wasn't just a case of something being thrown at him from a distance. He felt something hit him and reacted."

I don't know if you've all seen the footage, but here in Australia it was played, and replayed, and replayed, from every conceivable angle. At the end of it all I was on the floor laughing my ass off.

------------------
Old 05-18-2001, 01:45 PM   #2
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

LOL yeah we got it here in NZ as well. The way the news played it out made it look so cheesy but it sure made me laugh. It looked like a skit from a comedy or something

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."
Old 05-18-2001, 01:46 PM   #3
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

I saw it. I was going to post something on it, but kept forgetting, so I'm glad you did. I thought "good on him" the bastard hit him in the side of the face with an egg for Pete's sake.

The Irish seem to like it, but it's caused a storm in the press and criticism from Political figures. I think most of us would have reacted similarly - all reflex action yeah?

I suppose he could have turned the other cheek

Very funny IMO

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!

[This message has been edited by Yorick (edited 05-18-2001).]
Old 05-18-2001, 01:48 PM   #4
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Probably won't play on the news here. Is there a website I could see the footage from?
Old 05-18-2001, 01:49 PM   #5
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
I thought "good on him" the bastard hit him in the side of the face with an egg for Pete's sake.

Yeah, from about 2 feet away.

------------------
Old 05-18-2001, 01:49 PM   #6
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

LOL I haven't seen this, but it's a hoot! Good for the PM...at least I think it is! A person should have the right to defend themselves...especially in this day and age when violence is so much at the ready.

I'll have to go look this up on the 'Net.

Old 05-18-2001, 01:58 PM   #7
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

You'll find a few audio and video links here at this BBC site.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/vote2001/hi/en...eo/default.stm

Check the right column, under campaign trail, as well as a whole bunch of articles about John Prescott near the bottom centre column.

You will die laughing, I promise you.

------------------
Old 05-18-2001, 02:02 PM   #8
Bourbon
Manshoon

Unless the guy is using a cigar in a most erotic way (on a female)I doubt we'll ever see it here.
Old 05-18-2001, 06:36 PM   #9
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

Funniest thing that has happened in politics here for years, and it has actually brought something exciting in the election campaigns. I've tried to catch every news bulletin since it happened just so I can see it again, I'm sure John was just linning him up for a proper punch.

It's probably done more good than bad for labour though, not that it matters really, the result's basically a forgone conclusion.
Old 05-18-2001, 06:45 PM   #10
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

I wish he would have kept punching that stupid protester.

------------------
Welcome to hell.