Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2001, 11:50 AM   #1
Arundel Chichester
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I ran past them once to get to the castle, then running back to town 4 of my party members were killed. No problem, rez them in town. But now I can't get past them to get back to the castle. Anyone have any tips for me?
Arundel Chichester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 12:17 PM   #2
the_young_one
Manshoon

I had the same problem the first time round too. The bad news for you is that now that you've led the mantraps to town, they are waiting for you right outside when you go out of Ishad N'Ha again. Here are some suggestions for you:

1. Run (make sure you are using the shift key) as fast as you can past the mantraps, taking the damage and go all the way to the castle. You'll take quite a lot of hits, but hopefully your spellcasters can survive and you can launch spells at them once they catch up with you at the castle

2. Take on the mantraps at the gates. As soon as you leave Ishad N'Ha, prepare your distance spells - flamestrike seems to work very well.. If you have the storm spells, use these too. As soon as your party is getting severely hurt, dash back into town to heal up..Go back again and bash it out.. they don't heal whereas you can..

3. Reload your last saved game before your mantrap encounter..

4. I haven't tried this myself, but I have read that the amazoni mantraps are a cinch if you get real close and take them on in melee..

Good luck because there I think in easy mode there are 3 amazoni mantraps (4 in hard setting). (Un)fortunately, these are the only time you meet these guys - and by the time you meet their cousins the jungle lilies in Dragonspire, you should be tough enough to blow them away..
the_young_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 12:18 PM   #3
Knarfling
Drow Warrior

Welcome Arundel

The Mantraps are one of the tougher fights in the game, especially if you meet them before your charachters are ready. They must be killed for you to have safe access back and forth. There are different strategies that people have used, so which one you use up to you.

Many people prefer the "burn 'em from a distance" strategy. Using spells such as flamedrop, burning haze, or firestorm has advantages. Meteorstorm is also popular if you have the spell and the spell points to use it. There are two sub-strategies for the "burn 'em from a distance" strategy as well. Some prefer to "hit and run" where you get just close enough to see them and then fire a spell, and back away or run away and then hit them again when they get close enough. Just make sure that they don't get too close. Others prefer the "out-of-reach" way. At the castle, you can move to a spot where the mantraps will not move forward. You can then sit just out of reach and blast them with magic all you want.

Another strategy is the "up-close-and-personal" method. In this method, you protect your characters from poison as best you can (ring or spells such as Merlin's shield) and rush in and start whaling. When you are close enough, the mantraps use the poison gas less often.

Still another method is to distract them with conjured characters. If you can summon monsters, the mantraps will attack them before attacking you. They may not last long, but they will distract the mantraps long enough for you to blast them a couple of times with magic.

As you can see, there are several ways to deal with mantraps. Experiment a little and have fun.

Good luck with what you use.

Knarfling

------------------
Only two of my personalites have delusions, but one of them is paranoid and the other is out to get him.
Knarfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 12:50 PM   #4
adam warlock
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

those guys do get your heart pounding do they?
don't worry we ALL went through the same thing...
Trouble at the Gates

listen to the advice of the two above me
and let us know how it went
adam warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 02:34 PM   #5
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, Arundel Chichester!!!

Do let us know if you have managed to defeat the Mantraps!! They're one of my favorite parts of the game!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 12:50 AM   #6
Dr.Pick
Zhentarim Guard

A couple notes of clarification: 1)Mantraps and Jungle Lillies CAN randomly spawn like other creatures in the game, so you MAY find them in most any area AFTER Ishad N'ha. 2)The Jungle Lillies to which "the young one" refers to, are in the Boogre Prison, not the Dragonspire. Happy Adventuring!

+Dr.Pick
Dr.Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 09:51 AM   #7
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Do you have meteorstrom, firestrom or icestrom? If you do, cast them on the mantrap as soon as you're out of town. Wait 2-5 seconds and then back in town. Repeat the process until they're all dead.

Going back in town allows you to refill your magic. If your characters are badly hurt or dead, go to the Valeia side to resurrect or heal them. Also, use spells like merlin shield and bloodlust... they will help you!

Good luck and tell us how you make out.
Ryanamur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2001, 11:20 AM   #8
Ziggy
Dungeon Master

DONT FIGHT MELEE! use burn on them also you can check my post "Tips of the Trade (Man Tarps!). I just posted it.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2001, 01:42 PM   #9
Arundel Chichester
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the help everyone.

A big tip for those still ahving troubles would be to not try to fight them at night like I did. You can't see them at a far enough distance for you to be able to fire off spells. There is a distance where one can throw spells, but also be out of thier poison range.
Arundel Chichester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2001, 07:43 PM   #10
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Oh, a tip for night fighters:

Move slowly and scan the horizon with your cursor. Even if you can't see creatures, your cursor will still pick them up. From there, cast a few powerfull spells to do the job.

However, if it's your first time West of Ishad N'Ha, try to go during daylight... it's alot less scary
Ryanamur is offline   Reply With Quote