Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2003, 08:05 AM   #1
Donut
Jack Burton

When did 'suicide bomber' change to 'homicide bomber'?

If a homicide bomber only kills himself is he then a suicide bomber?

If an Israeli tank commander fires a shell into a house and kills a palestinian child does he become a 'homicide tank commander'?

CNN still use suicide bomber.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 08:40 AM   #2
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
When did 'suicide bomber' change to 'homicide bomber'?

If a homicide bomber only kills himself is he then a suicide bomber?

If an Israeli tank commander fires a shell into a house and kills a palestinian child does he become a 'homicide tank commander'?

CNN still use suicide bomber.
Killing is killing, whatever they call it.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 08:58 AM   #3
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Arrow

Oh boy - another "FOXism" to play with
Old 04-24-2003, 09:23 AM   #4
Donut
Jack Burton

Aha! So it was Ari Fleischer who first did the semantic sidestep!

In the wake of White House spokesman Ari Fleischer renaming Middle East suicide bombers as "homicide bombers," which was soon adopted by Fox News Channel, Pittsburgh's WTAE has also switched to the new nomenclature. Mostly.

News director Bob Longo said "suicide bomber" will remain in network packages received via satellite, but anything written locally will use the term "homicide bomber," which he believes is "more timely, relevant and accurate."

Longo said with so many bombings in such a short period of time, all designed to kill people, he felt it was a change worth noting. He acknowledged "homicide bomber" could be viewed as a pro-Israel political statement, but said "suicide bomber" could be interpreted as the opposite.

"We're by no means making a political statement," Longo said. "We're making a more accurate representation of what's happening. These people aren't strapping explosives to their body in the privacy of their own home, they're doing it in densely populated settings with the intent to murder and maim."

Representatives of KDKA, WPGH and WPXI said their stations will stick with "suicide bomber."

"If I was thinking of changing to 'homicide bomber,' I'd be inclined to go with just 'bomber.' 'Homicide bomber' seems redundant," said WPXI news director Pat Maday. "I'm certainly mindful of why some people prefer that term. We can't forget in the use of 'suicide bomber' that this person who is committing suicide is often killing a great many people in the process."

Maday said a change in terminology could confuse some viewers.

"People know what 'suicide bomber' means in the context of this stuff. To begin to change terms can very easily confuse a story that's already difficult for people to understand beyond the violence."
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 04-24-2003, 09:53 AM   #5
Nogbad The Bad
Elite Waterdeep Guard

What about a Regicide Bomber, who only kills Kings or Queens?
Old 04-24-2003, 03:23 PM   #6
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

I prefer homicide bomber because it denotes the purpose of the bomber, and that is to murder someone. I don't give a rat's back side what happens to the bomber.
khazadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 01:19 AM   #7
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
Aha! So it was Ari Fleischer who first did the semantic sidestep!

In the wake of White House spokesman Ari Fleischer renaming Middle East suicide bombers as "homicide bombers," which was soon adopted by Fox News Channel, Pittsburgh's WTAE has also switched to the new nomenclature. Mostly.

News director Bob Longo said "suicide bomber" will remain in network packages received via satellite, but anything written locally will use the term "homicide bomber," which he believes is "more timely, relevant and accurate."

Longo said with so many bombings in such a short period of time, all designed to kill people, he felt it was a change worth noting. He acknowledged "homicide bomber" could be viewed as a pro-Israel political statement, but said "suicide bomber" could be interpreted as the opposite.

"We're by no means making a political statement," Longo said. "We're making a more accurate representation of what's happening. These people aren't strapping explosives to their body in the privacy of their own home, they're doing it in densely populated settings with the intent to murder and maim."

Representatives of KDKA, WPGH and WPXI said their stations will stick with "suicide bomber."

"If I was thinking of changing to 'homicide bomber,' I'd be inclined to go with just 'bomber.' 'Homicide bomber' seems redundant," said WPXI news director Pat Maday. "I'm certainly mindful of why some people prefer that term. We can't forget in the use of 'suicide bomber' that this person who is committing suicide is often killing a great many people in the process."

Maday said a change in terminology could confuse some viewers.

"People know what 'suicide bomber' means in the context of this stuff. To begin to change terms can very easily confuse a story that's already difficult for people to understand beyond the violence."
That term isn't new though, I've heard it since late last year. But I agree, FOX loves to use this term instead of suicide bomber. But as I said Donut, these News shows can call it anything they want, but in the end, it's killing.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 04:20 AM   #8
Masklinn

Quote:
I prefer homicide bomber because it denotes the purpose of the bomber, and that is to murder someone. I don't give a rat's back side what happens to the bomber.
Well, "suicide bomber" is a way stronger term : it describes rather well the determination of these people.

"Homicide bomber" sounds like just another bomb planter, it doesnt show at all the real horror of these acts.

Quote:
I don't give a rat's back side what happens to the bomber.
They don't decide by themselves you know. They are brainwashed and conditionned. I don't think they're the real ones to blame.
Old 04-25-2003, 06:16 AM   #9
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

What does it matter what they call it?

Homicide bomber describes there actions more properly, IMO. Suicide usally means the killing of ones self. These people (I use the term losley) have a definite mission to murder others.

Murder='Homicide'. But then again, they kill them self as well, so like I said it doesnt really matter what you call it.

But anyway, its rather fun watching people get worked up over Fox, so carry on. [img]smile.gif[/img]

How about we call them Morons?

Hey wasnt there a discuison on this a while ago? When it was first being used?

[ 04-25-2003, 06:18 AM: Message edited by: Iron_Ranger ]
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Iron_Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 06:21 AM   #10
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Iron_Ranger:
What does it matter what they call it?

Homicide bomber describes there actions more properly, IMO. Suicide usally means the killing of ones self. These people (I use the term losley) have a definite mission to murder others.

Murder='Homicide'. But then again, they kill them self as well, so like I said it doesnt really matter what you call it.

But anyway, its rather fun watching people get worked up over Fox, so carry on. [img]smile.gif[/img]

How about we call them Morons?
I wouldn't get so worked up if Fox wasn't presenting itself as a 'legitimate' news channel.

Is someone who detonates a car bomb from a distance a homicide bomber?

You keep calling them morons and they'll keep killing people. Cause and effect, things don't happen in a vacuum you know.