Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2001, 07:05 AM   #11
Radek
Red Dragon

I would like to do a little comparison. Between an RPG and W&W. Yeap! Exactly between these two!

1. In an RPG, we pick up items from the ground. We usually select which ones we want to pick up. In a hack'n'slash affair, we run through items. In W&W, running through an item is the only method that works. Trying to pick up items, we find out that the items have too small active areas and are often hard to pick up. Not speaking about the Crazy Dance.
2. If an RPG supposes falls from heights, it contains some Feather Fall like spell. A Doom contains nothing like that. W&W does not either.
3. An interaction between characters is common in RPGs. It is unknown in Duke Nukems of all kind, Duke Nukem interacts by means of his bazooka only. Also, it is implemented terribly wrong way in W&W. Every interaction is a pain. You must wait for years until the interaction is over and watch the strange Lambada performed by the actors. Also, you have to pray for not being killed until the "conversation" is over.
4. You can be attacked during a dialogue and during leveling up in W&W. Well, dialogues are unknown in Quakes, leveling up usually means using an elevator to the next floor in Dooms, so why cannot you be attacked?
5. Have you noticed that "reset adventures" is the common way of restarting the game in the hack'n'slash stupidities?
6. Pausing the game is rather unknown in Dooms. Also, it is implemented badly in W&W: the time isn't stopped when you pause the game.
7. Resting is unknown in Duke Nukems. Duke Nukem never rests! Your characters do not rest in W&W either. Even if the game logic requires the opposite (day-night cycle).
8. Let us note the location of silly bugs in W&W: spells, magic items, money, quests, interaction, personal screens (skills, etc.) - all these areas are unknown in Quakes...

We see the following possibilities:
1. W&W was given to a wrong realization team. The team was able to create a Quake but not an RPG.
2. It was an intent to create a hack'n'slash affair that pretends to be an RPG.
3. It was both to some extent.
I think we can omit the first possibility. Wasn't there anyone who screamed NOOOO!!! This was not what we wanted!! Therefore, we are left with possibilities 2 and 3. I think 3 is correct. Perhaps, the intent was to atract Quake players. How silly! The Quake players will never play W&W. On the other hand, the RPG fans will be disgusted and post things like this topics.
Radek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2001, 08:44 AM   #12
Therro
Dungeon Master

OoOoH! So Saz, I guess what your saying is that you cant save in the town?

Oh..and I'm buying it today, along with a new set of surround sound speakers /w subwoofer, more Memory! (128mb) and a kickass digital mouse

*Rubs his hands in anticipation*
Therro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2001, 12:50 PM   #13
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Everyone- thanks for thourough answers! And for making me feel a bit less stupid about the game!

Knarfling (or anyone else!)- So if I am in a battle (only ones I've done are on the way to the cemetery and right inside) nothing happens between turns of the pc's? See, what confused me is that I didn't know that you had to use each character in turn...(remember...BG2 transplant here! in that game you choose your pc/npc anytime you want in any order and they attack simultaneously... bit more realistic). Anyway, I had trouble with characters being injured or killed and just couldn't see what was attacking them because by the time I figured out who was hurt it was someone elses turn to be up and I couldn't SEE from the injured person's pt of view...sigh Can you skip a character if you don't want to use them? How would you do that?

More later...lunch is almost over!

Cloudy

------------------
Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight
Heart Mind Soul Forever

[This message has been edited by Cloudbringer (edited 04-30-2001).]
Cloudbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2001, 01:36 PM   #14
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Yep, Cloudy, you got it! The characters proceed one in turn. If you want to skip a character, press the spacebar. It should go to the next one in line. Or just click on the character portrait on the right whom you wish to go next. Eventually it will all come back around again. Also, note that some characters will get to attack more than others, depending on their speed rating or what the last action they took (a wizard, for example, who just cast "Firestorm" is going to have to wait a few rounds to recover from that while in the heat of battle!)

Therro: Best thing to do is save just outside the city gate. That way you have a quick dash back in in case anything is menacing you. Going back to town also immediately replenishes all mana points (but you'll have to be healed at a temple or use a healing potion if your HP is down).

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2001, 01:48 PM   #15
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Radek: Having played neither Quake nor Duke Nukem (and having no desire to do so), I cannot comment on the similarities in those games.

However, I can assure you that the peculiarites of Wizards and Warriors are common to all "old-style" first person RPG's from the 80's and early 90's. The Sir-Tech Wizardry series is almost identical to Wizards and Warrior's style, as is the Might and Magic series, with some differences. These are commonly accepted as RPG's, as are the Infinity-engine type games. Bethesda's "Daggerfall" also had several of these features that you attribute to "hack n' slash."

Without a doubt, there are several bugs that would earn W&W a "B" rating rather than an "A" rating...the ridiculous "splat" down the ladders, the being attacked during a level up (BTW, you can level up in a TOWN as well and not be attacked!). But there are plenty of people who do enjoy the game (as this forum indicates) and are not "disgusted" with it as you claim to be.

One other thing: if you don't like a game, don't play it! I quit "Darkstone" after the first 3 hours because of that. Couldn't stand it. However, I also respect that there's probably quite a few people out there who do like the game as well. It's just a personal preference on my part.

-Sazerac
Old 04-30-2001, 01:58 PM   #16
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Cloudy, I edited the options for the hot keys to make the space bar the pause bar (ie that 'other' game we play) and made the enter key my personal skip key. Just thought I would throw that in there . . .

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2001, 02:01 PM   #17
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Thank you, BK, for bringing up something that I had forgotten to mention...you CAN edit the keys in W&W to your own preferences. It's in the Options menu.

-Saz
Old 04-30-2001, 04:15 PM   #18
Therro
Dungeon Master

Heh..sorry for botherin you about this again Saz, but if your afraid of being menaced why dont you save in town?

Or, can you simply not save in town and thats why you recommended saving at the gate?
Therro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2001, 05:02 PM   #19
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Therro: you can't save in town. You can reload a previous saved game from town, but can't save there. Just outside the town gate is a good idea; also, using another game slot just outside a main quest dungeon is another.

-Sazerac
Old 04-30-2001, 05:50 PM   #20
mammawlin
Drizzt Do'Urden

Hi everyone! Well, as my friends know, I am a champion at Duke Nukem and play on "Damn I'm Good" setting . . . and I love Wizards and Warriors. I also have played Doom, Blood, Star Wars, Jedi Knight and other "KILL" games. It is just a matter of tastes probably, and patience maybe. WW is a different game, a wonderfully different game! I recommend it highly and as much as I love the game, I love this forum too! All opinions count and are important and are welcomed. So Cloudy, we are all waiting to see how you end up dealing with WW - whatever it is, we welcome your input and appreciate you sharing with us. See ya!

Mammawlin
mammawlin is offline   Reply With Quote