Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2001, 03:25 PM   #11
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

I agree with Sazerac, you can generally come up with a good set of player within about 30-40 min. This morning I created 3 very good characters within 15 min.

Human(M), warrior (85 attributes)
Human(F), priest (82 attributes)
Elf(F), wizard (86 attributes)

I find that race, gender and role play a very important part in the creation process: for exemple, I can usually create a Elf Wizard female with 85-89 (89 the max I ever had) within about 10 tries. However, with Elf males, I can never get above the 85. The highest Ratling (M) warrior I ever got was 80 (average about 75). Humans rarely go above 85 but easy to get betwen 80-85.

It's all trial and error.
Ryanamur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 06:54 PM   #12
mammawlin
Drizzt Do'Urden

Saz, could this depend on the game settings? Maybe if you change things around, the points while creating characters go up or down. . . Just curious after reading this input.

Barbarian (cousin of Mammawlin)
mammawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 07:23 PM   #13
BLKCat
The Magister

These are my starting characters and rolls...

Female Human Warrior - 85
Male Whiskah Warrior - 91
Female Ratling Rogue - 88
Male Human Priest - 85
Female Dwarf Priest - 87
Female Oomphaz Wizard - 85

BUT, I have to admit... I rolled a VERY long time, (meaning days!), to get these numbers. I can't help it, I'm obsessive! I find rolling characters a fascinating process, and during my extensive stay in the inn in Valeia, found it to be quite random. I changed game settings and it seemed to make no difference. I have to really work to get good rolls..hence I make a living elsewhere than the Crap Tables in Las Vegas! LOL!
BLKCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 09:27 PM   #14
Tananda
Elminster

My first character generated was female elf wizard. I tried to get better stats for her and repeated the generation for about 10-15 times. BUT... Finally she had only 76 points in total and there was not roll for 80 ever. Just bad luck, I suppose... Of course, I did not re-roll for all other party-members, because I just could not sitting there staring at the monitor and waiting for a luck. I am not too patient...
That is why I admire all those who has enough patience and will for it, you are real RPG-players Bravo!

------------------
Sincerely Yours,
Tanda
Tananda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 09:31 PM   #15
green_athena
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ok you have inspired me to try again. .. now I'm settling into that determined phase where you want to do it just because you Can't but know it's possible. .. ack... I WILL roll an 80-point Plus character !! (@!$@#$$#)

------------------
"when I escaped I didn't feel like I got away..."
green_athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 09:37 PM   #16
BLKCat
The Magister

I wish you the best of luck green_athena! I really do like rolling the characters...it is one of my favorite parts of role-playing. I know there are those that are rolling their eyes now, and I know it is strange that I spend so much time making my starting characters. Oh well, strange I am!

BLKCat
Old 05-04-2001, 06:09 AM   #17
Radek
Red Dragon

My experience with generating a character:
1. Sometimes, you will have to roll for a long time. You will see a serie of more than 200 really bad results before you even get 80 in stats. Reason unknown. Do not lose patience, you do suceed in the end.
2. "Requirement 80" is pretty high. You will need about 70 - 100 attempts to reach it.
3. Trying to create a super good character is a waste of time in some sense. A few trainings in the guilds a few class changes and a few "Reset Adventures" (get rid of all pending inactive classes so that you get attribute points) and all your characters will be equally super good. The investment into the character generation has only one reason: it allows you to change classes early. It's a big advantage if you can switch from your wizard or priest to a barbarian immediately (spell points). It's good to create a super good rogue - it cannot change class early, it even cannot enter a guild so that it cannot profit from class changes and adventure resets. On the other hand, the pure warrior that is not meant to be a spellcaster need not be created perfectly.
4. According to my experience, your success does not depend on race/gender/class combination.
Radek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 09:09 AM   #18
BLKCat
The Magister

One of the reasons I did roll for so long was to get the stats for the class changes. I planned ahead of time where my characters were going to go with their 'careers'. I would have done things a little differently had I known I would get attribute points on every level up though. Also, had I known during the rolling process that intelligence directly affected the amount of skill points on level up, I would have distributed the extra points in a different manner. I should have read the manual a little closer on that one!Oops!
Old 05-04-2001, 12:18 PM   #19
green_athena
Elite Waterdeep Guard

HaHA!! I did get an 85 point character! I just *wanted* to have done it! I rolled a female gnome. Then I had all these points, and suddenly realized I likely wasn't going to get them again --what to invest them in? I figured since I'm only having one mage in my group -- I'd make him a Good one.

I am curious about a comment though -- how the h#ll do you make a Mage or Cleric a Barbarian ??
And why a rogue when a Barbarian can do the same stuff, but with better hit points and fighting ability (not to mension ac)?

------------------
"when I escaped I didn't feel like I got away..."
green_athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 01:04 PM   #20
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

green_athena: to make a Mage or Cleric a barbarian: Have the mage accept a Samurai guild quest, or the Cleric accept a Paladin quest. This will immediately qualify each one for membership in the Warrior's guild. Join the guild, then go back to the questgiver and cancel the quest (by clicking on the role quest icon again). Now go to the Warrior's guild and accept the Barbarian quest (or whichever one else you want).

NOTE: I wouldn't do this until your Mage or Cleric is about Level 14, elsewise you miss out on a lot of magic spells! Unless you want to later take them to Warlock (and get them back that way).

On Rogue vs. Barbarian: ostensibly, in this game, I would argue for the Barbarian since it has much better HP, warrior skills, and can join guilds in Valeia. I love rogues, though (I always play either rogue or ranger in table-top games) and so usually go on and create one. Rogues get better increases to Traps & Locks and Pickpocket. NOTICE that the 5th level Vine spell "Disarm Trap" picks locks at the same level as the sorcery skill, so either your Priest or a Ranger learning Vine magic can take the place of the Rogue as well. Pickpocket is unnecessary, but useful, in the game.

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote