Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2001, 07:07 PM   #11
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Mark, yep, Kerah's sword is what you get for giving up the Mavin. IMO, it's a better sword...and you get the Guardian Angel trait for it.

-Sazerac

(Okay, off to teach class at last...*groan*)
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 07:09 PM   #12
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

FanPyre: Sorry, I wasn't picking on you personally. I just had a general rant; the topic comes up so often. I agree; if there's no penalty in the game, there's nothing to stop one from racking up the points. I just feel bad about offing the good guys.

And IMO, Torin isn't that good...he's trying to kill Erathsmedor and he won't listen to reason.

-Saz
Old 03-08-2001, 07:18 PM   #13
FanPyre
Dungeon Master

Nothing to say sorry for sazerac that thread was FUN.
We all play it in a different way, i wanted to kill oakenmir mainly bacuse i was irritated that there was no other use for him so i assumed the designers had put him there for the purpose of killing.
FanPyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 07:25 PM   #14
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

I doubt that the designers put Oakenmir there to be killed. What original plans they might have had for him most probably got cut when development time and money was running short.

Torin only wants to kill the dragon because he believes, mistakenly, that the dragon is responsible for the death of his son. AND he never actually does kill the dragon.

The Gypsies might very well earn whatever fate falls their way.

I don't see that it follows that because you can kill one of the "good" NPCs that they might not be so good afterall - I think it is just a case of really silly game design!

Wyv
Wyvern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 07:26 PM   #15
johnj
Dungeon Master

killing, is that all you can think about, just killing

i should kill you for exp

well come to think about it, that is the purpose in the game to kill
two ways...
kill bad and you are left with good or
kill everything and you are left with yourself, therefore defining the definition of good and bad

or as homer simpson would put it "its not whether you win or loss, its how drunk you are"
johnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 07:35 PM   #16
FanPyre
Dungeon Master

Yeah kill em all , let kerah sortem out , p.s johnj its only a game,and this is only a friendly discussion forum, dont lose the plot.
Old 03-08-2001, 09:35 PM   #17
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Interestingly enough, though, the subject does make me think of the problem of p-killing in online gaming. For newcomers to computer games, "p-killing" means killing other player's characters in a multiplayer environment to loot their bodies for equipment and gain XP. It's a hideous, foul practice, and one reason why I would never play multiplayer unless I knew the people involved personally (like Scronan, Wyvern, Serath, Mark, Lily, Moni, Alicat, etc., and all others who I may missed!) -- or in a game that strictly forbid p-killing.

Let me ask you this: Of everyone who kills Oakenmir, Erathsmedor, etc. . . if W&W were multiplayer, would you stop at killing my character, or Wyvern's, or Serath's, or Mark's, even if you thought you could get by with it? You don't have to answer up here. Just think about it, though...

It's a chilling thought. I know I wouldn't p-kill, because I don't even kill the NPC's that are in the game, even though I know I can get by with it. It just wouldn't be that fun for me anymore. Others may feel differently, and that's fine, too. But there's nothing fun about building up a character and playing a game, to have another character (that's been hex-edited and cheat-trained up to godlike levels) come along and nuke yours that you've spent so much hard work on. Ultima Online was like that. (Is it still, or has it been changed? Does anyone play UO anymore?) So was Battle.net.

Anyway, just my thoughts on the subject.

-Sazerac
Old 03-08-2001, 09:48 PM   #18
FanPyre
Dungeon Master

Let me just say this,
I dont understand a lot of your attitudes to this discussion, oakenmir is just a collection of computer bits so killing him does not make me feel bad in a serious sense, but in terms of advancing the game and increasing the odds of my party defeating the evil cet killing oakenmir is the lesser of two evils (this is a save the world situation remember! just because i said i kill him doesnt make me a player killer (ive played b-net enough to know im not).
btw;( i didnt kill the dragon because he is an endangered species.

Old 03-09-2001, 02:34 AM   #19
Alira
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I just ran into this tree today and I was wondering if i missed something as there was no quest so when I saw this thread, I decided to check it out. The last thing I expected to be was about killing this old tree. The thought never crossed my mind to kill it. The same with Erathemesdor.Sure I knew I could but why. These are good creatures. So why kill them. This is an RPG and I don't kill non violent creatures just for the sake of killing. One time, an NPC accidentally got hit with a bit of firestorm spell. So I go over to him and heal him. I felt bad for hurting him so I wanted to make amends even though in the grand scheme of things it would not have made any difference but I felt good about doing that.

One of the reasons I don't play multiplayer RPG games is because of the problem with PK. It just isn't my scene.

Alira
Alira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2001, 11:28 AM   #20
Zoric
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Speaking of his role in the game - Oakenmir is one of the last survivors of the last time Anephas battled Cet. He also tells us that he used to be the Third Watcher - the one who delivers the Mavin Sword to the Chosen One. He was almost killed by Sathius who was the last chosen one - but he was also an agent of Cet. Kerah saved Oakenmir and took the Mavin away and appointed another as the third watcher - Erathsmaedor.

Oakenmir speaks of the last battle between Anephas and Cet. He tells about the great sacrifice made by Anephas so that he and Cet would sleep the Sleep of Death until one of us, the new Chosen One, comes to continue the battle. All in all, he is like another oracle (in fact, he calls himself the Oracle of the Forest), and he helps us understand the storyline better.

Zoric
Zoric is offline   Reply With Quote