Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2001, 01:33 AM   #1
Izanagi
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I don't remember shadows of amn doing this, or to an extant so noticable, but shortly after playing a bit of chapter 8 i began to see dragging lag with the game. every second and a half or so the game will freeze and unfreeze. I don't think i'm explaining the problem adequately, but i'm sure you get the idea. Everyone knows what lag is after all. I'm judging the "second and a half" by the little pendulum in the bottom left.
Soooo... lol, after tweaking the graphics and search nodes, upping the cache by 200mb in BGConfiguration I still can't figure out what might be a plausible solution to improving gameplay without having to upgrade my computer. (it's a low end, 336 mhz)

Suggestions?

~four of my party members wear boots of speed-could it be that, or a contrinbuter? @_@
Izanagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 01:41 AM   #2
Izanagi
Elite Waterdeep Guard

er...366 mhz.

and to note, the lag is nothing more than an annoying short little pause that i could just do without. maybe I should buy a great 3d accelerater chip or something. I wanna keep playing :'(
Old 12-10-2001, 11:15 AM   #3
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Try the following:

Reset your feedback options - start turning off options here one at a time until the lag improves.

Turn off the ambient sounds - this was a REAL problem in Icewind Dale on Burial Island and could be a problem in parts of BG2 as well.

Increase your cache size - I run with cache set to 900 mb instead of the default

Reduce your frame rate - try running at 30 or 25 if the lag persists

Reduce the number of nodes in the AI path finding .... this can REALLY chew up time ....

Adjust your graphics - if you are trying to run at 1024, set it down to 800 ... run in 16 bit instead of 32

without more details on your system, its difficult to gauge why you are seeing the lag ... but in general, these sorts of things should help improve game lag ...

You might also consider totally uninstallng the game, defragging your hard drive and then reinstalling. This can make a HUGE difference if BG2 was installed on a badly fragmented hard drive. At the very least, defrag your hard drive.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 05:56 PM   #4
Izanagi
Elite Waterdeep Guard

SO many things i was overlooking. thanks a bunch ^^