Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2002, 09:51 PM   #1
MasterPooBaa
Zhentarim Guard

Has anyone actually tried playing with dual/triple/quad class characters with any sucess?
*curious*
Old 10-10-2002, 09:56 PM   #2
Kalak
The Magister

I have, but he's just a level 1 rogue/level 15 monk right now...also, I have a level 16 stormlord of Talos, that once I start HOF is going to only level as a fighter.
Old 10-10-2002, 10:48 PM   #3
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

I like the idea of a cleric/fighter... My cleric can cast great spells and everything but he is almost worthless in combat. I just give him a good crossbow and keep him in back. The funny thing about this is the manual describes a cleric as a relatively good fighter, but my drow sorcerer is better than he is in melee combat. In the BG2 forums I saw a recomendation for a Half Orc Fighter/Cleric... With 20 strength even a cleric might be useful. Maybe Str20/dex18/con18/int1/wis18/cha1 You wouldn't be able to turn undead, but I didnt get a lot of sucessfull use of that ability anyway. When you realy need it, like on a lich or some other powerful undead, they always make there saving throw. All you really need for skills is concentration. And if you go for Tempus you could use "Strength of Tempus" and raise his strength to 26 at level 1. Hmmm, I think I just talked myself into this. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2002, 06:43 AM   #4
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack of Speed:
I like the idea of a cleric/fighter... My cleric can cast great spells and everything but he is almost worthless in combat. I just give him a good crossbow and keep him in back. The funny thing about this is the manual describes a cleric as a relatively good fighter, but my drow sorcerer is better than he is in melee combat. In the BG2 forums I saw a recomendation for a Half Orc Fighter/Cleric... With 20 strength even a cleric might be useful. Maybe Str20/dex18/con18/int1/wis18/cha1 You wouldn't be able to turn undead, but I didnt get a lot of sucessfull use of that ability anyway. When you realy need it, like on a lich or some other powerful undead, they always make there saving throw. All you really need for skills is concentration. And if you go for Tempus you could use "Strength of Tempus" and raise his strength to 26 at level 1. Hmmm, I think I just talked myself into this. [img]smile.gif[/img]
A cleric is only a good fighter if you gave him fighter stats. My cleric had around 14 str and con, and 18 wis. He wasn't that bad as a fighter.

Also, turn undead is not to be used when fighting one powerfull undead. It's use is to quicly kill many lower undeads. I was able to use it to kill any regular undead, and I was able to have greater drowned dead stay away from me, wich was great to then blast them with fireballs and such.
Old 10-11-2002, 06:47 PM   #5
Lil' Bo Theifus
Welcomed New User

Well, I'm only in chapter 2 but so far my Ranger/Rogue character has over 40% of the kills in my party of 6. I first tried this combo in NWN and it works VERY well in that game. Using two weapons in IWD2 is pretty watered down from NWN, but it is still effective. I've noticed that for backstabs in IWD2 if your mainhand misses you still get another chance with your offhand before you become visible. Good skills for this class combo are Use Magic Device (increase number of spells you can use through scrolls) and Weapon Finesse (to further offset the two-weapon fighting penalties.)

Lil' Bo
Lil' Bo Theifus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 11:56 PM   #6
Pyrius
Dungeon Master

In my heart of fury game I have a cleric/barbarian, a fighter/wizard/thief, a Paladin/fighter,Ranger/sorcerer, Wizard/rogue, and thief/bard/fighter....needless to say, I covered my bases.
Old 10-12-2002, 11:46 PM   #7
MasterPooBaa
Zhentarim Guard

impressive. someone else actually willing to try triple class characters
Old 10-13-2002, 12:15 AM   #8
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

If you make a triple or quad class character it can work as long as your favored class is the highest and the rest are even say: Ranger 4/Fighter 4/Paladin 4/Wizard 12 Couldnt you get away with a set up like that with no penalties as long as Wizard was favored class or your character is human? Im not saying this combo is useful. Just using it as an example. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2002, 12:31 AM   #9
Spikeous
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I multiclassed my Thief Rogue, which uses long ranged weapons, with a fighter, so I could put a third point into the Bow Feat. Although it would probobly be smarter just to make a fighter with a long ranged weapon skill, i thought my way was, better. I tried multiclassing some other characters, but it just slowed down there progression, sorry i couldn't be of any help.
Old 10-13-2002, 03:03 PM   #10
che
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I multiclassed a rogue into an enchanter but got an xp penalty 'cause I forgot that DROW's fav. class isn't rogue or wizard. But still she is not bad.