Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2002, 08:07 PM   #1
Albromor
Mephistopheles

I got a $75.00 gift certificate from my wife for Christmas and I would like some solid suggestions for PC games. To keep it simple let's say the games are 2 years or less in age. I do like RTS, really enjoy RPGs, and FPS are okay but I've found none that have really caught my attention EXCEPT the Thief series (love that series!). So kind people, what do you recommend and why? Thanks!
Old 12-30-2002, 08:15 PM   #2
TheGrandSlayer
Red Wizard of Thay

Warcraft III, good hack n' slash, it has good roleplaying, the cinemec graphics are awsome, and an awsome strategy, or you could get Elder Scrolls III:Morrowind, great game, lots of roleplaying, hack n' slash and it has the best graphics I've seen. (Besides WC III cinemec graphics)
Old 12-30-2002, 08:33 PM   #3
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Morrowind is a good choice, but you might want to look at Grand Theft Auto III - insanely addictive.
Old 12-30-2002, 09:03 PM   #4
Arvon
Unicorn

Morrowind is excellent and right now I'm in the beginnings of Divine Divinity. Don't let the name scare you.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 12-30-2002, 09:08 PM   #5
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Go with Morrowind and the expansion pack.
Old 12-30-2002, 10:01 PM   #6
Sir Goulum
John Locke

You should get Need For Speed IV or something like that! Great for reliveing stress!
Old 12-30-2002, 10:22 PM   #7
theholyavenger
Manshoon

Firstly, for RTS, i'd would recommend Warcraft III or Age of Mythology. I haven't played WC III but instead got AOM, since i haven't tried any of the WC series and i have more confident in Microsoft in creating RTS games (AOE II! )

Next, for RPG, i'd would go for Morrowind too. For 3 reasons, the graphic's attractive, the lasting appeal's insane (expect tons of hours of gameplay!), and the music's excellent! Oh, and if you haven't gotten BG II: SOA, i'd would definitely get that one before anything else!

Last but not least, FPS, i'd would recommend Battlefield: 1942. Overall, the game's pretty addictive (if you have a monstrously fast PC, that is!), the graphic's okay (definitely not the best of the bunch of all the FPS games!), and multiplaying is insanely lagging........if you have a 56K modem! [img]smile.gif[/img]
\"There once was a warrior true,<br />with the sense knocked out of him, too.<br />But in a hamster he found,<br />some wisdom profound,<br />and now where goes he goes his Boo!\"<br /><br />~Crazy Celvan in Baldur\'s Gate II Shadows of Amn
Old 12-30-2002, 11:30 PM   #8
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Being an avid CRPG fan I would recommend:

1. Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (if you have a kickass PC) - Huge world, exploration is done in first person view and there are tons of mods for additional fun. The enchantment skill is one of the most innovative feature in recent CRPGs. Downside... It is pretty damn too easy to lost your way and there is a lot of "find and fetch" quests.

2. Divine Divinity (good on PIIIs) - Sort of like Diablo II but with more quests and dialogs. The skill system is absolutely outstanding.

3. Icewind Dale II (good on PIIIs) - Based on AD&D 3rd edition rule. This game have a decent storyline but it is the implementation of the 3E rule that shines. If you are fan of AD&D games, you might want to check it out.

4. Elder Scrolls III: Tribunal - The highly anticipated expansion pack for Morrowind. You might want to check this out after you have finished the main plot of Morrowind and are screaming for more actions.

5. Wizardry 8 - A not-so-new game but it is still playable. The action and exploration is also done in first person mode but unlike Morrowind, you control up to 5 party members (I think...). If you have played Ishar (an Old DOS game)before, this game will trigger those old fond memories.

That is all that I can think of... Oh, Happy New Year!

[ 12-30-2002, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]
Old 12-31-2002, 11:14 AM   #9
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

If you want a game to stretch your machine to the limit then I recomend Unreal Tournament 2003, but that's only if you've got a top-of-the-line system to manage, otherwise Warcraft III is good but tends to grow old fast and is unbalanced, though the tower-building mods are more fun than starcrafts, and there are other asorted things you can try as well such as morrowind (which after you beat is just a big world full of folks to waste your time with thought he expansion pack is now available) I would also recomend Mch warrior 4 Mercenaries, unfortunetly they didnt put alot of time into the game and it seems more like mech warrior 3 and a half mercenaries when compared to Mech assault which hopefully will be released on the PC along with Vice City some day. Good luck and have fun with whatever you may purchase. (never winter nights is nice for role playing fans too)
Old 12-31-2002, 11:20 AM   #10
Sigmar
Unicorn

Top 5 IMO (in no paticular order)-

Discworld Noir-one of the finest point and click adventures I've ever played.

C&CRed alert 2-Loads of mods and a cool expansion pack support the already entertaining title.

Unreal Tournament 2003-Frags,frags,frags

Neverwinters nights-A very good RPG, not much more that needs to be said.

C&C generals-...it'll be out soon (and if not this)Warcraft 3.