Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2003, 02:39 PM   #1
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Avalanche

Avalanche sign Kariya and Selanne

TSN.ca Staff
7/3/200

The Colorado Avalanche are reuniting one of hockey's most dynamic duos from the 1990's, and they're doing it for a bargain price.

The Avalanche signed unrestricted free agents Paul Kariya and Teemu Selanne Thursday, making them teammates for the second time. The two played together in Anaheim for six seasons from 1996 to 2001.

The most surprising news about the signings is how little they cost Colorado. NHL management sources have told TSN that both men agreed to one-year contracts for far less than they made last season.

Kariya has reportedly signed for an astonishing $1.2 million for the upcoming season, a huge cut from the $10 million he made in each of the last five years in Anaheim. Sources say Selanne's deal will pay him $5.8 million, down from the $6.5 million he got last year in San Jose.

Kariya apparently took the cut to ensure that the two men can play together, and to give them a chance to win the Stanley Cup. The one year deal would also make him an unrestricted free agent again next summer, as he would be a 10-year veteran making less than the NHL's average salary.

In addition, with the Avalanche paying only $7 million to the two players, Colorado has salary room to acquire a goaltender if needed, or to pay Patrick Roy should he decide to end his retirement.

With the signings, the Avalanche now have what is without question the most dynamic group of forwards in the league. Kariya and Selanne join last year's NHL points leader Peter Forsberg, Milan Hejduk, the league's only 50 goal man from last season, and Joe Sakic, who was named the NHL's MVP in 2001.

Between them, the five men have recorded seven 50 goal seasons and eleven 100 point campaigns.

Kariya, Selanne, Sakic and Forsberg also have something else in common: they're all represented by Winnipeg based agent Don Baizley.

'''''''''''''''''''

I WANTED VANCOUVER TO GET KARIYA
Old 07-03-2003, 02:46 PM   #2
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

Yeah, I posted something on this over at OUAP.

Bleh.
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 07-04-2003, 07:50 AM   #3
Jan

WOW!! That's a pretty good deal.

My money is on Colorado next season.

Old 07-04-2003, 08:19 PM   #4
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Question: do they go for Joseph? Seriously, I have no idea. They seem to be blowing all their money on forwards, and their defense core has gotten considerably weaker (relatively, of course -> few can stand up to Blake, Devries, and Foote.) Not to mention, they have a VERY big problem in net. Oh well, the Flames've got Reinprecht, so I'm happy
Old 07-04-2003, 08:28 PM   #5
Djinn Raffo
Ra

I don't think they should go for Joseph. They should go for Burke or Khabibulin.
Old 07-05-2003, 01:18 AM   #6
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

YEAH!!!

Well being a hardcore Avs fan... it's great news... I actually want Kariya to play in the Avs... but I was thinking more on Fedorov with the larger possibility... I don't know why don't ask me... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Wow... goalie is just their weak spot now... I just hope they get something out of this...

Sour grapes djinn and iron ranger... LOL