Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2003, 07:15 AM   #1
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Baseball's Slammin' Sammy Sosa, who has 505 career home runs, was ejected from the game between his Chicago Cubs and the Tampa Bay Devil Rays last night. While hitting he broke a bat. Nothing unusual... except for the fact that this bat was corked. He was ejected from the game.

Sammy says it was a mistake. He says he accidentally grabbed a practice bat, but it looks bad. :shake:

[ 06-04-2003, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 06-04-2003, 07:19 AM   #2
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Oh man, I heard. I can just see this becoming another Pete Rose. I wonder if they'll take away his homerun scores from the last few years for this.

This could ruin his career folks. I HOPE he is telling the truth, and it WAS a practice bat. (doubt it though).

What does it do to a bat with cork inside it? Make it absorb the hit better or something?

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 06-04-2003, 09:00 AM   #3
Madman-Rogovich
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
Oh man, I heard. I can just see this becoming another Pete Rose. I wonder if they'll take away his homerun scores from the last few years for this.

This could ruin his career folks. I HOPE he is telling the truth, and it WAS a practice bat. (doubt it though).

What does it do to a bat with cork inside it? Make it absorb the hit better or something?
I woulda thought it'd make hitting the ball any distance alot harder cos cork's a pretty lightweight substance no?
Old 06-04-2003, 09:02 AM   #4
MagiK

I was always kind of suspicious when Mac started getting all those home runs it was something..then seemingly out of nowhere Sosa showed up and this just puts a big question mark on all his accomplishments...

Old 06-04-2003, 09:38 AM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Based on what has happened to past offenders, he's probably looking at a fine and a 7 to 10 game suspension.

And what cork does is apparently allow you to hit the ball farther. Don't know the physics of it exactly, but that's the spin.

'Tis sad. I really like Sammy, I really do. Can't say that about many players today, in any sport.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 06-04-2003, 10:21 AM   #6
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:

And what cork does is apparently allow you to hit the ball farther. Don't know the physics of it exactly, but that's the spin.
I think you're able to swing much faster, because the cork makes the bat lighter in weight - and a faster swing makes it easier to focus more of your strength on the ball when hitting it. Or something along those lines. In other words, cheating.
Old 06-04-2003, 10:38 AM   #7
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Here's a link to a story about Sammy you don't have to sign up to read...lol. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-04-2003, 10:42 AM   #8
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Corking makes it lighter in weight, but more importantly springy. NOte that a corked bat is also hollow. Hollow means stronger -- like our bones, hollow and filled with marrow.

7 game suspension is likely. And, I have tickets to Friday and Saturday's games against the Yankees. Saturday's game is currently selling on eBay and other legal scalping sites for $500+ a ticket. Boy, does this put a damper on my weekend plans.

From what I can tell by the attitude in Chicago, Sammy is seen as a bit of an ass.
Old 06-04-2003, 07:03 PM   #9
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

They've X-rayed 60+ bats from Sammy's stable, and they were all cork free. Only the one he broke, which he says was a practice bat that he used by accident, had cork in it from the batch taken to last night's game.

I'm sure this will go on and on and on....
Old 06-05-2003, 05:10 AM   #10
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

I know very little about baseball, but one question immediately struck me when I learnt about his explanation: why would anyone want to practice batting with a bat that is not only illegal, but whose characteristics make it unlike any bat he can use in the actual games he is practicing for? Is that a common ..erm ... practice practice?
So long !<br /><br />R³ aka \"The Ramonster\"(thanks Sir Tainly) - proud to be the official spokesman for the most noble Lady Bilqis, Desert Rose of Ironworks - equally proud to be Moiraine\'s \"permanent advocate\" ! - relaunched edition -