Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2002, 08:09 PM   #1
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Voluntary euthanasia campaigners in Australia are preparing to distribute specially-designed plastic bags to help terminally ill people take their own lives.
The bags have an elasticised opening to provide an airtight seal around the neck, suffocating users, who take a sleeping tablet beforehand.

Proponents believe the bags will provide a way for elderly people suffering terminal illnesses to end their lives peacefully.

Critics have called on the Australian authorities to launch an immediate inquiry.

The "Aussie Exit Bag" has been commissioned by the veteran campaigner Doctor Philip Nitschke.

Speaking at the launch in Brisbane, Dr Nitschke said he will take delivery of 150 bags and distributed them free of charge to long-term members of the pro-euthanasia group Exit.

The bag allows users to take a sleeping pill while a cord automatically closes around their neck. Death, according to Dr Nitschke, would be neither violent nor traumatic.

He said that in the absence of voluntary euthanasia laws, the kits provided the only option for people lacking the money or connections to kill themselves with drugs.

Newspaper reports in Australia have said a terminally ill patient in Adelaide used one of the devices to commit suicide earlier this month.

The woman had said she could no longer bear her "horrific, pain-ridden existence".

Right to Life groups have demanded an immediate investigation. Peter Beattie, the Premier of Queensland, where the bags are made, has said he would be seeking advice on whether they were legal.

Euthanasia is banned throughout Australia, as is assisting suicide.

But Dr Nitschke has insisted the distribution of the bags did not amount to breaking the law.

For a brief period in the mid 1990s, mercy killings were legalised in Australia's Northern Territory before the intervention of federal authorities.

Four terminally ill patients committed suicide by lethal injection with the help of Dr Nitschke.
I think that these "exit bags" are a wonderfull idea. The government shouldnt be allowed to tell people they have to live if they choose not to. It isnt assisted suicide because no one is putting the bag on your head. Also it is a lot nicer way to kill yourself then say hanging,cutting your wrist or shooting yourself. What do you think, especialy people from where these bags originated from?
Old 08-22-2002, 08:13 PM   #2
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Not so much a 'wonderful' idea, but a practical one I suppose. I wouldn't want authorities telling me I'm not allowed to kill myself if it's what I wanted to do.
Old 08-22-2002, 08:37 PM   #3
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Useless discussion. If you want out, you can pick your own way, not some bag created by another smartass inventor looking for his 5 minutes of fame. People who are really tired of life will find their own way out.
Old 08-22-2002, 09:06 PM   #4
Willard
Fzoul Chembryl

A plastic bag with string on the bottom? Isn't that the reason bag manufacturers state on the bottom "Keep away from small children, suffocating may occur" ? What a great new invention..... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-23-2002, 09:03 AM   #5
Deathbringer

Actually, an elderly women took her own life here in Australia not so long ago because she couldn't bare living in pain any longer. She was the first person in Australia to kill herself because of an illness. Recently more people have been following in her steps and have taken their lives. Now in Australia this IS illegal, so this option has been reviewed and I think they are trying to make it legal so long as you use one of these bags.
I think they are a great idea. If someone is in so much pain as to want to kill themselves, then let them do it! After all it's their life.

Old 08-23-2002, 09:12 AM   #6
Grimslade
Drow Warrior

Shouldn't such a thing be used as a weapon? In a crime? I realise that ordinary things like kitchen knives are used in crimes too, but this bag invention sounds a little grotesque to me.
Old 08-23-2002, 12:31 PM   #7
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

*shrugs* sounds fine to me.

Who has more right to do what they will with their life than the people themselves? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-23-2002, 12:38 PM   #8
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Come to think of it, It COULD be used as a murderweapon. Leave no prints and everyone would think it's suicide. Maybe they should reconsidder this ?
Old 08-23-2002, 12:42 PM   #9
Deathbringer

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Come to think of it, It COULD be used as a murderweapon. Leave no prints and everyone would think it's suicide. Maybe they should reconsidder this ?
But if someone wanted to die and was going to kill themselves, why would someone kill them?
Or do you mean, the sick person use it as a murder weapon?

Edit: By the way, does my new sig look ok?

[ 08-23-2002, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: Deathbringer ]

Old 08-23-2002, 12:44 PM   #10
Sigmar
Unicorn

Perhaps they won't think it's suicide unless the man or woman in question had a history of mental or physical problems.

Besides you could kill people in a variety of differant ways and make it look like a suicide.

Hopefully they won't use it for anything else but suicide though, as the bags do seeem to be a good idea.