Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2001, 09:05 AM   #1
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Okay, we have our media class, and it is opening our eyes on lotsa things... first, I have thought of it, but not in the critical perspective. Well anyways, as we wathced in media, we have a time clock of...

70 YEARS BEFORE THE WORLD WILL LOSE ALL OF ITS RESOURCES

The clock is ticking, if we don't do something, then our children will, WILL suffer. We may be already dead, but I am sure we would not want our children to suffer like that!!! So, I plead, if not or whatever, let us help mother earth so we can carve a new path, stretch the designated time, or even, permanently erasing such a limit!

I am scared for my future children, and everyone's children in the future...

Reuse, recycle, throw waste in the proper containers, and I will say this a lot of times:

Small things lead to BIG things

Let us all have a better world for our children,

Ryan

------------------

Heya! It's just me, Bahamut!
Old 09-18-2001, 09:13 AM   #2
skywalker
Banned User

Bahamut!

I agree with you! When my wife and I bought our house we started to recycle all we could, to save on money for trash disposal and to help save the environment, too!

Some places it is easier than others. We have to separate everything, bring it to the Recycling Facility and pay for the opportunity to do it! Other places pick it up for you as a town service at no charge (I wish), but our way makes you feel you are actully making an effort! We hope our small part helps.

Not everyone agrees about the 70 year thing you wrote (I'm sure), but does it matter? It still is the right thing to do!

Thanx for your thread!

Mark
Old 09-18-2001, 09:25 AM   #3
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Bahamut:
Okay, we have our media class, and it is opening our eyes on lotsa things... first, I have thought of it, but not in the critical perspective. Well anyways, as we wathced in media, we have a time clock of...

70 YEARS BEFORE THE WORLD WILL LOSE ALL OF ITS RESOURCES

The clock is ticking, if we don't do something, then our children will, WILL suffer. We may be already dead, but I am sure we would not want our children to suffer like that!!! So, I plead, if not or whatever, let us help mother earth so we can carve a new path, stretch the designated time, or even, permanently erasing such a limit!

I am scared for my future children, and everyone's children in the future...

Reuse, recycle, throw waste in the proper containers, and I will say this a lot of times:

Small things lead to BIG things

Let us all have a better world for our children,

Ryan

Hey Bahamut, thanks for your post. Yes, we are in big trouble but don't despair! (Never despair - there's always a solution! ) World governments do know about the situation, and some steps are being taken to help on a global scale. At the moment, the big problem is that saving the environment can cost quite a lot of money, and countries are frightened that if they take big steps to help the environment, this will make them less competitive in the global money markets.

They are afraid that as a result, their workers will lose jobs, and their countries will become poorer, not richer. This is an especially big problem for developing countries, who generally have less financial resources than the Western industrial nations, such as America and the European countries.

Not long ago, many nations came together to try to cut global emissions of CO2, which contributes to the global warming of our planet. (This is a big environmental issue.) Because of the financial and political problems associated with doing this, the end result was that we accomplished far less than we had originally planned. (Some countries, particularly America, felt that what was required of them was too much to ask, and would damage them economically.) But we did make at least a start!

The good news is that more and more people are discovering that the situation is serious, and they are getting together to do things about it. Some of these people are in government, some are in environmental groups, many are just ordinary people who try to live their lives in a 'greener' way.

The best way to help is to find out as much as you can on this subject, and to do what you feel you can in your own life. Like you said, small things lead to big things, and if we ALL start helping, then we can hope to turn the situation round. But it is important that people don't just sit there saying, 'oh, there's no point, there's nothing we can do, which some do do, unfortunately...'.

Like Ghandi said 'you must be the change that you want to see in the world...'.

Hugs to you from Silver Cheetah. (PS. Do you have Greenpeace in your country? It's an organisation which works with government and business on environmental issues. Most of the members are just ordinary people, unpaid volunteers who want to help. Greenpeace have a very good website with lots of information which you might find interesting or useful, at www.greenpeace.org.

------------------
Old 09-18-2001, 11:01 AM   #4
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Hey! Thanks for your support! Let us all help each other for a brighter tomorrow!

------------------

Heya! It's just me, Bahamut!
Old 09-18-2001, 11:20 AM   #5
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Bahamut:
Hey! Thanks for your support! Let us all help each other for a brighter tomorrow!

Yes and amen to that!

Old 09-18-2001, 11:23 AM   #6
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I agree too! To all the teens here: Remember, we'll be living in the world another 60 years or so, hopefully. So - protect the enviroment! Or else we'll spend our old age in the desert on account of global warming. Well, it's not certain what form global warming will take, but that's just an example.

------------------

Kazara

Sapphire Dragoness of ALSB
Waitress at Cloudy's Cafe
Old 09-18-2001, 11:47 AM   #7
Vampire

YES! I was about to post something like this.

------------------
Old 09-18-2001, 12:01 PM   #8
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Avatar:
YES! I was about to post something like this.

Question for you guys:

Given that the population is currently at over 6 billion, and expected to hit 9 billion by around 2030, and given that our economic model functions on the concept that growth is good, it is inevitable that we are going to be producing more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more..... as we move further into the 21st century.

This means we'll be using more and more resources and generating more and more pollution and waste generally.

When we stop growing, or growth slows dramatically, then we are said to be 'in recession'. Now there is panic because there is a global economic slowdown (this began before last Tuesday, but what has happened will make it a lot worse, of course), and it looks as though a slide into recession is pretty much inevitable.

The problem is that to have growth, you need to use more and more and more natural resources. (Like I just said, thus exhausting our resources, generating more and more pollution, and more and more waste.) Our resources are finite, as is our planet's capacity to deal with pollution and waste products from what we humans consume?

So, given our current economic model (geared towards measuring profit, rather than quality of life, or quality of environment) what do we do?

I believe we should change the model. What do other people think?

Any ideas, anyone?

------------------
Old 09-18-2001, 12:33 PM   #9
Conan

Hello Silver Cheetah, I dont believe we have met. I may not be able to explain how to change the model but I will offer a simple task that even children can do. It does not even cost any money if you dont have much.
I say plant a tree..well ...plant alot of them if you can. These wonderful air scrubbers are easily planted or even grafted and rooted. Our world cannot survive without everyone helping in this area. If you walk,bicycle,run, or whatever outside activitys you do, you will have seen some small ones you can transplant that may be in heavy foilage that wont thrive due to the dense canopy factors. Good forestry management and the replentishing of decimated wood lands should be a priority. It breaks my heart when I see patches of life giving trees just pulverised to make way for a new row of town houses or roads. Why do the trees all have to die? When you look at the finished project and see all that extra space.. you know they could have saved many of them.
My first chioce to you all is mybe a fast growing evergreen or lovely maple. So many good choices here. How does that saying go...just do it!
And welcome to the forum Silver Cheetah

------------------
*\Conan/*

Old 09-18-2001, 02:18 PM   #10
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Conan:
Hello Silver Cheetah, I dont believe we have met. I may not be able to explain how to change the model but I will offer a simple task that even children can do. It does not even cost any money if you dont have much.
I say plant a tree..well ...plant alot of them if you can. These wonderful air scrubbers are easily planted or even grafted and rooted. Our world cannot survive without everyone helping in this area. If you walk,bicycle,run, or whatever outside activitys you do, you will have seen some small ones you can transplant that may be in heavy foilage that wont thrive due to the dense canopy factors. Good forestry management and the replentishing of decimated wood lands should be a priority. It breaks my heart when I see patches of life giving trees just pulverised to make way for a new row of town houses or roads. Why do the trees all have to die? When you look at the finished project and see all that extra space.. you know they could have saved many of them.
My first chioce to you all is mybe a fast growing evergreen or lovely maple. So many good choices here. How does that saying go...just do it!
And welcome to the forum Silver Cheetah

Hi Conan. Pleased to meet you! And yes, the planting tree idea is a lovely one, I think. Trees are so beautiful, as well as being of practical use! In the UK, if you don't have anywhere you can plant a tree yourself, you can pay for one to be planted on your behalf. It costs just five pounds. One project that does that is called Future Forests.

Something else we can do in the UK and I'm sure in America too, is change to using electricity that is generated in a sustainable way. In UK, a new company called Juice has started providing electricity for THE SAME COST as the mainstream elec. companies. All you do is call them, and they do all the changing over for you! No work, no extra expense. There is another company called Unit[e], but I'm not sure if that costs more or not.

I'm not sure what the ethics are of putting up numbers for companies such as this - is there a forum rule against it? (Bit like advertising online? Although I don't work for either of these companies and have no vested interest. Am just a concerned citizen.) Maybe I'll just leave it that if anyone wants contact details, mail me and I'll send them to you. Or you can call directory enquiries.

------------------