Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2003, 11:45 AM   #1
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

I'm on the coarse of attaining a number of Elemental Resistant items for my Cavalier. I plan to make him as immune to all types as possible. So far I have gotten to this:

Fire: 125 (this is the easiest one)
Acid: 30 (this is a hard one to find items for...)
Cold: 105 (again, not that hard, thanks to boots of the North)
Electricity: 45 (should I trade cold in for electricity, with the Boots of Grounding?)
Magic: 50 (Belt of Inertial Barrier)
Magic Resistance: 65 (not really an issue, cause I can get high enough for this)

My cavalier uses shield type fighting, so no two-handed weapons or dual wielding. I have not yet looked into weapons that could be useful for this, but I expect to use Purifier. In any case, what is YOUR advice? The acid resistance is my main problem...that's just frickin low...
Old 10-30-2003, 12:24 PM   #2
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
JrK IIRC, the acid protection is natural for cavaliers, as well as a portion of the fire protection.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 12:28 PM   #3
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

I would add Psyhical Resistance. Equpip Defender Of Eastheaven,cast Armor Of Faith,use special ToB HLA and Helm from ToB and you are ready to roll. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 12:40 PM   #4
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

I know that those things are natural, and I do NOT want physical resistance, or else I'd chosen for it. I merely asked for some advice on items my char can wear to get as much ER as possible...
Old 10-30-2003, 12:53 PM   #5
Raistlin Majere
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by Xen:
I would add Psyhical Resistance. Equpip Defender Of Eastheaven,cast Armor Of Faith,use special ToB HLA and Helm from ToB and you are ready to roll. [img]smile.gif[/img]
i think hes not wanting physical( ) damage resistance, just to get elemental resistances as high as possible.

anyway, i think you should get these items...

Gorgon plate(or shadow dragon scale for acid resistance) for SoA, change for Shuruppak's Plate in ToB

Helm of Defense goes without saying

youre equipped with the right belt already...no need for a change there

i would change the boots for the electrical resistance...not many foes use cold

gloves...not much to do here, either gloves of Extraordinary Spec; blessed bracers or gauntlets of Dex, depending on your stats

for the necklace i would use Amulet of the Seldarine

sword? thats pretty much up to you, but i would suggest Foebane or Purifier

for the shield, definately darksteel shield. until then, your choice

rings: RoG goes without saying(unless youre really role playing) and the other...maybe ring of fire control or free action, depending on your fire resistance

last but not least, the cloak. cloak of balduran if playing tactics, if not, then cloak of the sewers

those are my suggestions...

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 01:01 PM   #6
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

Item upgrades allows you to mix/match items to produce great single items.

e.g. combine boots of speed/boots of the north to get the benefits of speed and cold resistance or combine with boots of grounding for electrical resistance.

I have a sneaky suspicion that Sandokkudu (God I butchered that spelling ) provides acid resistance, how about combining that with Purifier?

There are also a couple of great items, specifically:

* Amulet of Ilmater - Immunity to poison
* Ring of Elemental Mastery - 50% fire res, 50% elec res
* Upgraded Corthala Armour - 50% res to fire/acid/magic damage (nice eh)
* Citadel Helmet - Protection From Charm, +1 saves, 20% res to fire, cold and elec

I suggest that you take a look at the item upgrade mod and do some hardcore planning matey

Dace (k)
Old 10-30-2003, 01:12 PM   #7
Raistlin Majere
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by Dace De'Briago:
Item upgrades allows you to mix/match items to produce great single items.

e.g. combine boots of speed/boots of the north to get the benefits of speed and cold resistance or combine with boots of grounding for electrical resistance.

I have a sneaky suspicion that Sandokkudu (God I butchered that spelling ) provides acid resistance, how about combining that with Purifier?

There are also a couple of great items, specifically:

* Amulet of Ilmater - Immunity to poison
* Ring of Elemental Mastery - 50% fire res, 50% elec res
* Upgraded Corthala Armour - 50% res to fire/acid/magic damage (nice eh)
* Citadel Helmet - Protection From Charm, +1 saves, 20% res to fire, cold and elec

I suggest that you take a look at the item upgrade mod and do some hardcore planning matey

Dace (k)
hmm...i suppose he could do that, but i think that would be kind of cheating...the item upgrade mod is, IMHO, a balancing thingie for the tactics mod(especially for solo-runs). of course my opinion doesnt really count in the long run...

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 02:02 PM   #8
Faceman
Hathor

okay, let's do this (standard items only)
my setup would be:
Cavalier:
+20% acid
+20% fire

Helm of the Rock:
+25% acid
+25% cold
+25% electric
+25% fire

Boots of the North
+50% cold

Cloak of reflection
immune to electric dmg (reflects)

Amulet of Seldarine:
+5% Magic

Ring of Gaxx:
+10% Magic
immune to poison

Ring of Fire Control:
+50% fire

Belt of Inertial Barrier:
+50% to magic dmg

Delryn Family Shield:
+30% fire
+30% cold

Shgadow Dragon Armor:
+50% acid

Purifier:
+30% Magic

total:
Acid: 95%
Cold: 105%
Electricity: reflected back to source
Fire: 125%
Magic: 45%
Magic Dmg: 50%

I'm not quite sure, but I think the Delryn shield is not restricted to Anomen only, sadly the Corthala armor only works for Valygar so I couldn't include it which would have brought the magic dmg res up to 75% (with only suffering a 25% setback for acid).
Helm of the Rock can be substituted with Helmet of Defense in the beginning,
Ring of Fire Control by Ring of Fire resistance.
Old 10-30-2003, 03:41 PM   #9
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Helm of the Rock is for Fighters only, IIRC--no Cavaliers allowed. Anomen can wear it, but not Keldorn.

Fire: 20% Cavalier, 20% Hell, 50% Ring of Elemental Mastery, 15% Helm of Defense = 105%
Poison: Cavaliers are immune from birth = 100%
Electricity: Cloak of Reflection, 50% Ring of Elemental Mastery, 20% Hell = 127%
Cold: 50% Blizzard Boots, 20% Hell, a certain ToB item = 120%
Acid: 20% Cavalier, 100% Sanchuudoku, 50% Shadow Dragon Scale = 70% for non-cheesy characters
Magic Damage: 50% Belt of Inertial Barrier, 20% (or was it 40%?) Mana Bow = 70%

Conclusion: These items ensure permanent 100% (or better) protection in all categories except Acid and Magic Damage (although one of them does conflict with the ToB item, but swapping the two is very simple). Since none of the Shields in SoA give protection against Acid or Magic Damage, it would seem that your best bet is to go with 2-Handed Weapons and the Mana Bow.

[ADD:] The Periapt of Proof Against Poison does not grant 100% resistance to Poison (i.e., you can stand around in Cloudkills without taking damage), it simply makes the wearer immune to the condition of being Poisoned, such as from Darts of Wounding or the Corthala Family Blade. [/ADD]

[ 10-30-2003, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: SixOfSpades ]
Old 11-01-2003, 01:57 AM   #10
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Ok, right, some things I expected you to say already, but he will be wearing Plate Mail, so no shadow dragon scale. I'll definately go for the Boots of Grounding, thanks! [img]smile.gif[/img] And my first shield would probably be the dragon shield thingy.