Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2001, 01:35 AM   #1
SirGwayne

Here's one for you computer WIZARD's out there. heres the deal.I am running an mmx chip, no laughing please! which runs at about 200mhz I believe? but I have about 98meg of ram and am also running a VOODO 4# 4500pci video card with about additional what 16meg of ram.I was hoping this would speed up game play and increase video smoothness as well. but in the heat of some of the battles things sometimes begin bogging down "BUMMER". for the most part the game runs fairly good but I'm not sure if I'm getting all the performance possible?
I would appreciate any help on doing anything to get the most out of what I have. thanks
Old 01-24-2001, 03:56 PM   #2
Leafy
Zhentarim Guard

no kidding! I have an AMDk62/550, onboard video(8mb) and sound(blaster16) and 290mb of ram and I still have boddeg down slowness! in fact, yesterday the intro dragon was lagging a bit. I recently played with some video cards from the store; voodoo3 and voodoo4. voodoo4 is slightly better simply because of the anti-aliasing.. but no real performance kicks. The worst part is, these cards did nothing to increase smoothness of the game. The open/gl mode even ran SLOWER. I think it's just discracefull how they slapped this game togheter from the already bloated and buggy BG engine (did you know, Kylee's dagger is in the icewind files?). If there's a trick to getting the game to run cherry, i'd love to hear it. personally, i think the programming skill is not up to speed with our alien chip technology.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2001, 04:07 PM   #3
SirGwayne

Well do you think the ad-on to this is going to run better? would that be do to better programming. I really enjoy icewinddale,and also BGII. I do believe BGII runs a little smoother I guess that has to do with the engine? non the less I'll keep hacking through Em'!
nothing like the undead exploding when ya walk in the room! if ya know what I mean.
Old 01-24-2001, 05:55 PM   #4
Tathlum

If you havent tried it go into the IWD configuration from the start menu. And try the open(GL) Its unsupported but works well with my voodoo 3. You can then turn up the game speed AI updates to a higher setting. Increase the cache up to 300- 400 megs if you have the hard disk for it. A static swap file is the best way to go on that.
With your system you should be able to run the game maxed out with not a lot of skip. the key is plenty of system ram 128 or more megs.
My system runs it maxed out just fine. P3 650 voodoo3, 256megs ram, 1000 meg static swap file.
Good luck with it.
Old 01-25-2001, 04:01 PM   #5
Leafy
Zhentarim Guard

funny, i can put my cache up to 3 gigs if i want, but it still doesn;t help. in fact, when i go much over 500, i actually notice it running SLOWER. crazy cache. Open GL mode runs BETTER on your voodoo 3? are you SURE? what, did you install a minidriver for the game or something? does wickedGL support IWD? you must have a software tweak in there. Like i said, i have almost 300mb ram, tons of disk space; i even installed IWD to a primary drive on the secondary IDE so i can access the windows drive (for cache) and the IWD drive for loading. That barely makes it load faster, but it's still choppy. Maybe you need a real fancy soundblaster for this game?
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2001, 06:42 PM   #6
SirGwayne

Well I tried the open GL and increased my cache,it ran great! Until I went into the next room.. Than the thing all but froze up.
I tried it several times but to no avail.
same thing kept happening.I believe I have about 115meg of ram. maybe I need more ram?
or maybe its just the mmx chip I'm running on my motherboard is inadequite? I'll keep fumbling around with it. It ran o.k. but I just wanted to take advantage of any cool graphics I may have been missing out on.By the way I also have 20 Gigs of hard drive but I really dont see where that will help..
Old 01-27-2001, 11:47 PM   #7
Tathlum

I'm not sure, the sound card might be an issue. I am real big into flight sims, they take a huge system hit. GL froze you up... huumm thats not good. Lets see here, I'd look for the latest drivers for your vid & sound card. install them, delete your temp files, defrag the drive. After thats done here are the basic system tweaks that most flight sim addicts use.

Step 1. go to my computer click it, then click on control panel.

Step 2. Now click system icon, then preformance tab.

Step 3. Then click file system button, click on hard drive tab, slide the read ahead opt slider to fastest. Close that panel

Step 4. got to grafics slide the slider all the way to fastest close that window.

Step 5. Now click virtual memory button. There will be radio buttons that say "let me specify virtual memory settings" choose it.

Step 6. You will see how much space is available on your HD. Set the min to a respectable size 1000megs.
There will be a warnig that you are doing something bad, after you click ok- don't be scared you can always come back and change it. Click yes and then do a restart.

Try out the game, see what it does. Those are the standard what I call "Geek fixes". They should get a little more out of your system.

Another big, factor is how many twains you have loaded. Before starting IWD press control- alt- delete. This will bring up a box with all the programs running on your system. END TASK everything but explorer, and systray. That will free up your processor making the game run faster. It could be a matter of how fast of a Hard drive you have as well. Or your CD-rom. If you have a cd rom thats less than 24x I'd grab the no-cd fix at Gamecopyworld.com and let my hard drive handle the PCI bus detail
See how that works for ya- if you still have troubles- give me an e-mail Tathlum@go.com

Leafy, using a secondary drive for Vmem could be a problem unless you have a scuzy Hard drives. 9 times out of 10, the virtual memory has to be on the primary drive with windows. Or did I misunderstand? You have 2 static swap files? one one each hard drive? In that case I believe IWD's default cache system will access the swap file on what ever drive its installed onto. I havent seen anything about being able to change the config in IWD to make it access another dirve for virtual memory.