Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2003, 08:11 PM   #31
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

The "improved" version is pretty funny. [img]smile.gif[/img] I love it that that somehow happened as well. I wonder if the "improvers" knew the guy or not. I'd assume not, so it's very funny IMO. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 05-27-2003, 09:12 PM   #32
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

LOL! I bet most of us have done something silly, humiliating or just goofy when alone so I can feel bad for this kid and laugh about how I never actually taped myself and let someone else get hold of it! [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

I hope the kid takes all the donations he gets and enrolls in a martial arts class...but he should ditch the broom handle.. LOL!
Old 05-27-2003, 11:17 PM   #33
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Just over one month ago a video that was never meant to be seen by anyone except its creator was uploaded to the Kazaa file sharing network. If you downloaded it, you would see an overweight 15-year-old teenager holding a golf ball retriever pretending it was actually a double-bladed lightsaber,
like the one used by Darth Maul in STAR WARS: THE PHANTOM MENACE. Totally without self-consciousness and with real intensity, the teen awkwardly dances about the small studio, spinning and whirling both himself and the retriever around. At some points he even makes the appropriate VRROOOM! lightsaber noises.
It’s something a lot of STAR WARS fans did when they were younger (and maybe still do when no one is looking.) But for the teen on the video, his mistake was leaving the tape where other kids from his Quebec high school found it and uploaded it to Kazaa to humiliate him. Soon video game fansites and computer geek blog websites were linking to the video. But when some video game developers saw the video they modified it to include an opening scrawl like the ones at the start of the STAR WARS films—as well as adding lightsaber and sound special effects. And then the popularity of the underground video really took off.
To date, at least two million downloads of the so-called “Star Wars
Kid” short have been downloaded from various mirror sites. The story is now reaching critical mass, with articles appearing in Wired, the National Post, even The New York Times all this week. And hundreds of anonymous viewers are leading a wave of support for the teen seen in the video.
The Star Wars Kid, known only by his first name Ghyslain, has taken a lot of hurtful comments and laughter from the kids at his school, but now the tide is turning. A website has set up a donation form allowing fans of the Star Wars Kid to donate a few bucks to show their support of his passion for being a kid at heart, and to show there’s a difference between laughing with someone at at them. Even though the site owner was only expecting enough to buy Ghyslain an Apple iPod, over $4,000 dollars has been donated so far. The website’s owner promises every cent will reach Ghyslain.
Reached for comment, the “Star Wars Kid” just wishes all the attention he’s received had never happened and the genie was never let out of the digital bottle. Nevertheless, Ghyslain’s video has touched a nerve amongst fans who may remember times when they weren’t the most popular kid at school, and when the imagination and courage to pretend to be a Jedi Knight wasn’t something we felt embarassed about.
On behalf of those of us who ever switched on a flashlight with a plastic tube taped on the end of it, we say to Ghyslain: May the Force be with you!
That wasn't one of my best ideas...
Old 05-28-2003, 09:30 AM   #34
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Right on! [img]graemlins/awesomework.gif[/img] This kid deserves every penny! Just goes to show, you should never judge a book by its cover. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-28-2003, 12:55 PM   #35
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Ok, either my joke was very bad or no one saw it...
Old 05-28-2003, 03:12 PM   #36
Raistlin Majere
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by LordKathen:
quote:
Originally posted by IronDragon:

But it’s not like he had much of a chance of ever getting a date in the first place.
And, why is that? [/QUOTE]nice to hear people with opinions like that as well. i know what its like being big and stuff, not being much of a hotshot meself. ive always had alot of friends though, so i havent been picked on too much. that, or the fact that im quite strong for a guy that doesnt work out or anything...go figure

[ 05-28-2003, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: Raistlin Majere ]

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Old 05-28-2003, 03:14 PM   #37
Raistlin Majere
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
Ok, either my joke was very bad or no one saw it...
hmmm...it seems i missed it, not that its a suprise really. i dont get alot of jokes until ive pondered them for a couple of days [img]smile.gif[/img] .

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Old 05-28-2003, 03:23 PM   #38
Drake
Baaz Draconian

that kid is getting money for this? and a lot? am I understanding this right? wow I am so jealous....hmmm....*light bulb brightens above head* well if any one needs me ill be vidiotaping myselfe acting out matrix moves in my basement....I just hope I can make the right sounds....
Old 05-28-2003, 03:38 PM   #39
Horatio

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake:
that kid is getting money for this? and a lot? am I understanding this right? wow I am so jealous....hmmm....*light bulb brightens above head* well if any one needs me ill be vidiotaping myselfe acting out matrix moves in my basement....I just hope I can make the right sounds....
Just remember that there is no spoon and you'll be fine
Old 05-28-2003, 08:34 PM   #40
LordKathen

What about the "Kender spoon of turning"? [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]