Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2002, 05:24 PM   #1
DraconisRex

This post contains a spoiler regarding one of the "mini-bosses" in Chapter 3. Specifically a dragon.
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/

Let's see. Klauth the Great Worm, Dragon of the North vs Armandur the level 15 Elven Wizard.

Some excerpts from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, Page 167:

Klauth - 40d12, 722 HP. AC 46. To Hit: +49/+45/+45/+44/+44. Damage Ranges: 4d8+17, 4d6+8 (*2), 2d8+2 (*2), + there are three variations of the tail attack not included in above. In addition, he's got a huge array of sorcerery and magic items to fall-back on.

So, he's so huge he kills other dragons. He has been known to disperse armies by killing 1000's of orcs at a whim. He likes to topple wizard towers for kicks. Other dragons are terrified of him.

And just how threatening is this Challenge Rating 25 dragon? Per the guide, "As his reputation grows even darker, he may soon become the subject of the first Great Hunt in more than eighty years, wherein archmages band together to hunt down and destroy a common enemy."

And a level 15 mage whacked him? Deus Ex Machina. His breath weapon alone should have fried me to nothing, even with the resistence rings and every buff I had cast.

Anyway, I'm pretty disappointed with that encounter. Far better, IMO, to have faced a "no-name" worm, than one of the most powerful dragons in all Faerunian history to be whacked by Deus Ex Machina.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?<br /><br />Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.<br /><br />Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
DraconisRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 06:09 PM   #2
Piestrider
Zhentarim Guard

I KNOW! the game does that ALL THE TIME! they make this huge fuss about some "mythical dragon" or "legendary demon" and then you go after them with your level 15,16 etc... character and you whack'em down. I think they made the game a little too easy in some parts. Either that or the guide overestimates too much.
Old 08-07-2002, 06:22 PM   #3
magnetism
Manshoon

Halaluya(sp)....thats what I'm screeming... even with the defiled essense of a dead dragon.. that dragon should have kicked my ass... I actually healed with my +1 regeneration while fighting him... man that was sad... I was at about 70% hit points ( showing my utter contempt for the monsters in this game.. ) and I did not buff up... at least the white dragon damaged my grimgnaw a little..
Old 08-07-2002, 07:18 PM   #4
Whailor

Oh come on, it's clear since the first moment you play the game, that it makes fuss out of nothing. I mean you get to the academy, you get trained by all those "mean" and "tuff" trainers of yours, and then these same trainers get their butts kicked by "a Weak Goblin"? Heh! I mean I waded through these goblins like they were wheat before my scythe, and yet they managed to kill Derban or whatever was the name of the melee instructor, whom I barely managed to hit?

So yeah, it's a big fuzz out of nothing. Heck, for the kicks, some 3rd time around I modified the Prelude and added to it some monsters, which would really be able to kill the trainers and all in the academy. Now talk about the rush for my newbie char, when he fought them all, yeah... Barely made it out alive, not like the 'grab-from-the-head-of-the-goblin-and-knock-in-the-face-with-the-knee" method..