Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2001, 02:08 PM   #1
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

I have played BG2 and enjoyed it quite a bit. Will I enjoy Icewind Dale as much? How do the two compare? Thanks. Trying to decide whether I should buy it or not.

------------------

Seeker of Truth
Lady Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2001, 03:27 PM   #2
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

Well as with Baldur's Gate, this is not D and D. It is a close facsimilie. The game play is the same and it has the same look and feel of BG. But the atmosphere is somewhat different. The game is enjoyable and I find that I like it more than I did Baldur's Gate. I purchased the expansion when it came out and found that it helped flesh Icewind Dale out a bit and considering the addition Adventure pack they are talking about on the Official website, I believe it is worth the money......Then again I live in a small town and get tired of watching grass grow and cows....well you know.
Wulfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2001, 03:35 PM   #3
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

Thanks for the advice. I think I will purchase the game and the expansion. Didn't know it wasn't D&D.

------------------

Seeker of Truth
Lady Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2001, 04:02 PM   #4
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Its fun Lady Avalon! More combat oriented than story in this case. I'm going to play it again with the HOW expansion + the download (when it comes out) from the beginning since HOW adds a lot of stuff to IWD
Lord of Alcohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2001, 05:04 PM   #5
Epona
Zartan

There aren't any NPC party members to recruit - you create your whole party. That means of course that there isn't the character interaction you get in BGII. It is much more combat based, set mostly in dungeons, and is more linear than BGII - you can't really go off and do your own thing.

It is still a great game though, worth getting, although I personally preferred BGII (but hey, that is IMHO the best game ever)

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas and The Ladies Guild.
Epona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2001, 05:05 PM   #6
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

I would recommend both IWD and HOW (although many have said that HOW is a bit short, but I think the fun factor is still there). The overall story is pretty interesting, but compare to BG1/2 it is more hack and slash. When you start the game, make sure you have a cleric in your party, Turn Undead is a life saving asset in this game. Several spells have similar names to the BG2 counter part, but beware the effects are different (e.g. Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting). Enjoy!

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2001, 09:58 PM   #7
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

If you liked BG and BGII,,,
Icewind Dale and HoW, (with the upcoming free downloadable dungeon crawl add-on) is worth your money!
You will enjoy it, I am sure.

------------------

Larry, Sell-Sword to the OHF
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2001, 04:51 AM   #8
Khanar
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Accord:
Turn Undead is a life saving asset in this game
Never did much for me so I quit using it. Did have a cool sound effect though, I will admit.
Khanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 07:13 PM   #9
Glycerine
Manshoon

It's worth the purchase. Alot like the old Gold Box games. I personally love to create an entire party of six characters so I can form it exactly how I want.

Glycerine
Glycerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 09:51 PM   #10
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

Yup, while these games are close to D and D they alter the rules to fit what they want. I have written for the RPGA and have been gaming with a freelance writer for TSR/WotC for years now. Most of the things I notice are small things, but they do aggravate me at times. If you are a pencil and paper player you have probably already noticed. But enough of my rant...we weren't ranting....yes we were...nope, nope, nope....er..excuse me, small town life don't cha know.
Wulfere is offline   Reply With Quote