Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2003, 10:08 AM   #1
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

The US Ambassador to the UN made the statement just now that the UK resolution is being withdrawn because of the French promise to VETO it.

I think they should have gone for the vote. I wanted to see the "whip count".

[ 03-17-2003, 10:12 AM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 03-17-2003, 10:19 AM   #2
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Question Mark

Was the word ultimatum used???

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 10:21 AM   #3
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

This is the resolution that had 6 steps for cooperation, the first of which was for Saddam to publicly acknowledge his possession of WoMD.
Old 03-17-2003, 02:14 PM   #4
Wutang
Manshoon

Actually I would have liked to see the UN vote too regardless of the veto issue.

I just wanted to see how all the undecided countries on the council would've voted.
Old 03-17-2003, 05:14 PM   #5
Davros
Takhisis Follower

I think the decision to withdraw would have been based on a headcount rather than a veto. If they thought they had a firm positive headcount going in then it would have shown up as general support by the council that was being stymied by veto. If the headcount was bad going in then it would not have reflected well, so why put it to the vote.

My point being that I think they got a good headcount, and it wasn't good news.
Old 03-17-2003, 06:01 PM   #6
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

You're right Davros, and they are happy to blame the bad vote count on France's promise to VETO no matter what as the reason some nations could not be swayed, but the truth is, it would have been close even without the outspoken promise from the French.

The real reasoning for not calling for the "whip count" is the fact that 1441 makes the threat of serious consequences without full, complete and immediate compliance by Iraq. This of course never happened, so serious consequences are called for even if the world disagrees on what those consequences are. All the previous resolutions make similar demands and/or threats, and even the '91 ceasefire agreement authorizes renewed action if Iraq doesn't comply with it's terms. Of course Iraq has not complied.

All these things are in the Coalition of the Willing's favor now, but a no vote in the SC on a new resolution would have really removed the legitimacy of that argument.

[ 03-17-2003, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 03-18-2003, 05:30 AM   #7
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Ronn - your President and my Prime Minister claim that 1441 gives them the right, but that is something that has undergone massive analysis in this country today and the conclusion from the weight of international law opinion seems to agree that it doesn't.

Either way - that is a debate for the lawyers and may they have good luck with it.

It doesn't change the fact that in seeking a futher resolution, the US, the UK and Spain sought current day ratification (rather than rely on the shaky 1441 argument) to strengthen their justification for going to war. In not presenting that resolution they knew that it would be defeated.

I am saddened to be going to war without the ratification of the UN even though I believe the cause is just. The military out there in the gulf will have my support both now and when they return. When Saddam is out the world will have changed for the better. Today however, with the coalition ignoring the UN, both the rules and the world changed, and it changed for the worse. I don't expect some of the anti-UN or pro-war factions to agree with that and that's OK because they are entitled to their opinions too. This one is mine.
Old 03-18-2003, 06:00 AM   #8
skywalker
Banned User

Is there any parallel between Bush saying we will go to war with Iraq, with or without the support of the UN and Chirac saying we will veto any resolution before the Security Council that approves a strike on Iraq.

Seems both sides "showed their cards(Bushspeak)" a little too soon.

One wanted war a little too much and the other did not.

Mark

[edit] typos

[ 03-18-2003, 06:00 AM: Message edited by: skywalker ]
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 06:12 AM   #9
Moiraine
Anubis

IMO, the key sentence about the legality of an unilateral US intervention in Iraq is the article 14 in the resolution 1441 : "The Security Council ... decides to remain seized of the matter". It pretty well says that no member of the Security Council can take actions on its own while saying it complies with the resolution.
Old 03-18-2003, 09:12 AM   #10
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
One wanted war a little too much and the other did not.
I think "wanted war" is a bit unjust. Bush feels it is necessary. Wants and Needs are completely different things.