Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2005, 12:07 PM   #1
Onur The Courageous
Elite Waterdeep Guard

What are your favourite games before 98?

I always loved to play the game types of RPG, fantasy-action, action football'n football manager games'n I can count those with the addition of the games of my first love; Commodore's Amiga500 games:

Firstly pc games:
HEXXENII:I loved this game very much but I couldn't finish it though.It was a fantasy-action game with the abilities of;

-using magic from a magical book occuring on the screen with yo' hands ready to perform magic one holding the book'n the other with being pointed towards yo' enemy,

-using a sword which I greatly desire in fantasy-action games

-using a magical sataff

-and using a variety of characters ranging from a fighter to a magician

of course DIABLO:Although some may think otherwise, I find this game great.

FIFA series

AGE OF EMPIRES

SENSIBLE SOCCER SERIES including Sensible Worl of Soccer 98:I'm a fan of sensible soccer with the abilities of both managing'n playing a team at the same time. Unfortunately I haven't heard any new games after Sensible World of Soccer98

CHAMPIONSHIP MANAGER SERIES

QUAKE

NBA SERIES

LOTUS SERIES

Amiga 500 games:
GOAL:Was agreat football game even better than the pc games at that time period

SENSIBLE SOCCER SERIES

BATMAN

TERMINATOR

JOHN BARNES'S EUROPEAN FOOTBALL:That was a soccer game including the teams of European National teams for the tournament of the year 1992. This game I think still better than Fifa 2005 for the means of supporter's graphics, supporters' attitude in the stadium, weather conditions and the sound of the crowd. Supporters were divided according to the team they support. For example in a match btw England'n Scotland English'n Scottish fans were sitting dividedly with the flags in'eir hands. One feature I love very much was when a team, for example England scores a goal, English fans were jumping with great pleaqsure while Scottish fans were sitting on their seats. This feature was great'n I couldn't see that feature in any of the Fifa series until Fifa 2004(I haven't played Fifa 2004'n 2005 yet). Another feature was thunders occuring during the match if the weather is rainy. Thunders were flasing the pitch'n that was great to watch. Sound quality'n type of supporters weas as good as Fifa series'n the run of the striker near the supporters after scoring a goal was also cool to watch. This game was at least 10 years ahead of its production date.

GUNSHIP 2000:Was a great helicopter simulation war game.

WING COMMANDER:Was also a great spaceship simulation. I hadn't sleep to continue this game for nights at the time period I've played it cos' as my Amiga500 didn't have a hard disk the game was being played from the start when the computer eas shut up.

LOTUS SERIES:The flying of the car after crushing on a wood was great to watch. The car-tape recorder was also cool. I couldn't finish this game though

There r a lot of Amiga games that I don't remember the nam

(EDITED BY ZIROC: Please don't do the 'R U into games' type spelling. we at IW do not like it) thanks [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 07-04-2005, 03:25 AM: Message edited by: T-D-C ]
Old 07-04-2005, 02:18 AM   #2
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

Sid Meyers Civilization, The Secret of Monkey Island, Frederik Pohls Gateway, Day of the Tentacle, all of which I still play.
Old 07-04-2005, 05:53 AM   #3
HERITIC
Dungeon Master

sim city 3000 and legend of zelda ocarina of time and majoras mask
Old 07-04-2005, 06:07 AM   #4
Pop 'n Fresh
Manshoon

Quake
Heretic
Hexen
Age of Empires
Heroes of Might and Magic
Kings Bounty
Doom ( of course )
Dungeon Keeper
Warcraft ( All ) Except world of warcraft. I have plenty of money but no way am i gonna waste $20 a month to play it.
Worms ( little pink wormish army guys YAH )
Unreal
Redneck Rampage
Diablo
Shadow Warrior )
Roller Tycoon
Wizards and Warriors

Just to name a few [img]tongue.gif[/img]
[img]\"http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/5936/sbadfurday00037fg.png\" alt=\" - \" /><br />BRING ME SOME SWEETCORN!<br /><br />What do the Enterprise and toilet paper have in common? They both circle Uranus in search of klingons
Pop 'n Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 06:24 AM   #5
Zink Whistlefly

Yeah the original Unreal was so atmospheric on the PC. I remember playing that with my TnT 2 Ultra card and drooling at the outdoor scenery. Very impressive stuff.

I'm another Amiga fan over here too. Can't quite beat using WinUAE and playing all those classics on the PC. A list of my amiga favourites:

Speedball 1/2
Xenon/Xenon 2 (remember Xenon on Get Fresh? that was cool!)
Gods (Trend appearing here God bless the Bitmap Brothers)
Chaos Engine (CD32)
Lure of the Temptress
Shadow of the Beast 1/2/3
Pinball Dreams/Fantasies
Agony
Wing Commander on the CD32
Captive2: Liberation on the CD32 (excellent game)
Turrican 1/2
X-Out/Z-Out
Disposable Hero

Jeez I could go on and on so I'd better stop there!

Ah, those were the days [img]smile.gif[/img]

Jim
Zink Whistlefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 06:47 AM   #6
Jorath Calar
Harper

Oh Speedbal 2 was awesome, specially in 2 player mode, I had it on Atari ST [img]smile.gif[/img]
I had Turrican 1 and 2 on Commodore 64, must have spent about quarter of my teenage years from 15 to 17 playing them. I was so good at Turrican 1 I once finished it with 57 extra lifes... only died twice... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, other games on PC before 1998 are:
Worms
Colonization
Day of the Tentacle
Sam And Max Hit The Road
Duke Nukem 3d
Red Alert
Need 4 Speed 2
Elder Scrolls: Arena
Gabriel Knight (The first one, which was a proper adventure game)
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 06:57 AM   #7
andrewas
Harper

Elite.
andrewas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 07:04 AM   #8
Onur The Courageous
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Zink Whistlefly:

I'm another Amiga fan over here too. Can't quite beat using WinUAE and playing all those classics on the PC. A list of my amiga favourites:

Speedball 1/2
Xenon/Xenon 2 (remember Xenon on Get Fresh? that was cool!)
Gods (Trend appearing here God bless the Bitmap Brothers)
Chaos Engine (CD32)
Lure of the Temptress
Shadow of the Beast 1/2/3
Pinball Dreams/Fantasies
Agony
Wing Commander on the CD32
Captive2: Liberation on the CD32 (excellent game)
Turrican 1/2
X-Out/Z-Out
Disposable Hero

Jeez I could go on and on so I'd better stop there!

Ah, those were the days [img]smile.gif[/img]

Jim [/QB]
Yeah I like the ones above too. Especially the ''Wing Commander''. I hadn't had a hard disk when I've bouhjt my Amiga500 first and did not shut down the Amiga for days to finish this game however I could not mangae to finish as inevitably it has shut down. It had a PC version too like Lotus series.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:11 AM   #9
Zink Whistlefly

Quote:
Originally posted by Jorath Calar:
Oh Speedbal 2 was awesome, specially in 2 player mode, I had it on Atari ST [img]smile.gif[/img]
I had Turrican 1 and 2 on Commodore 64, must have spent about quarter of my teenage years from 15 to 17 playing them. I was so good at Turrican 1 I once finished it with 57 extra lifes... only died twice... [img]smile.gif[/img] ...
Oh yeah - Atari ST - forgot I had one of those. God I loved playing Smash TV on my good old 520 FM [img]smile.gif[/img]

57 lives and only dying twice is just insane! I remember always struggling a little on that space ship level with parallax scrolling - the one which went really fast - always had a difficult time getting through there unscathed. I think the thing I most remember about Turrican though was that intro+music. Such a well polished game both visually and audially. Chris Huelsbeck was my hero! (I know, how sad!)

Quote:
andrewas said:

Elite
Ah, of course, forgot about that little gem! I was always a big fan of Frontier though. Never has such a game brought such a sense of scale to me. Unbeliavably massive (and it all fit onto a single floppy disk!) - I remember on the galaxy map you could just scroll to the side for what seemed like an infinite time, as well and zooming in/out - with all the star systems being named. Impressive stuff indeed.

Jim
Zink Whistlefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 07:42 AM   #10
Jorath Calar
Harper

Elite. Never played it but I played the "Sequel" Damocles... first 3d game I ever played... and damn it was good... for the time... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote