Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2002, 10:42 AM   #1
Aurican
Elminster

I know there is much press regarding the much over-rated or at least over-used duel-wield option and it giving you an extra attack. The classic two-handed sword thing too, is made to last with a strength bonus of 1.5 when using two hands.

What I would like to know is this: Are there any bonuses to using just a single-handed weapon with nothing else in the opposing hand? Or will this just make me more weak in the melee department with a lesser AC and less total attacks than my guy is capable of with a bulky shield or another off-hand weapon? I know the bastard sword is supposed to allow this, at least in PnP but what about NWN?

Thanks
Aurican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 10:50 AM   #2
MagiK

I kind of feel that the duel weild thing is way way over blown and borders on the ridiculous in the 3rd edition rules. I think it should be more restricted. Unfortunately with the advent of Drizzt DoUrden every body and their brother is running a Duel Weilding, Drow Ranger. I am not excluding myself here, altho I don't have a drow, my elf ranger is a duel weilder but not very often, since I have concentrated all his feats in the Bow skills. I rarely miss with an arrow [img]smile.gif[/img] ....any way those are my rambeling thoughts on the duel weild subject.
Old 07-08-2002, 10:51 AM   #3
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

it would be a waste to just use a single handed weapon with no shield to boost your AC. the damage done is the same and recovery time is still the same.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 12:25 PM   #4
Deathcow
Elminster

In 2:e, you could put proficiency points into Single Handed Weapon for a bonus to your AC. It was usually used for thieves who didn't want to hold a shield because they used a bow or crossbow as well.

I'm not sure how it works now, maybe some 3:e expert will come along and enlighten us. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Deathcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 01:12 PM   #5
AndyG
Elminster

If you use a single handed weapon without a shield, that seems foolish to me (excepting mages and the like who don't take shield proficiency). There are some very nice shields in the game, and not using a slot for some extra magic effects weakens your character.

As far as the quick slot issue, you can set up one quick slot with your bow and another with your weapon and shield. I've got this going with my ranger and it works fine.

My main character is a monk, using barehanded combat. He's doing great, but I keep looking at those empty hand slots and wishing I could make use of them.
AndyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 01:28 PM   #6
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
I kind of feel that the duel weild thing is way way over blown and borders on the ridiculous in the 3rd edition rules. I think it should be more restricted. Unfortunately with the advent of Drizzt DoUrden every body and their brother is running a Duel Weilding, Drow Ranger. I am not excluding myself here, altho I don't have a drow, my elf ranger is a duel weilder but not very often, since I have concentrated all his feats in the Bow skills. I rarely miss with an arrow [img]smile.gif[/img] ....any way those are my rambeling thoughts on the duel weild subject.
true Drizzt did make the drow ranger thing way overblown, but dual wielding has been part of the ranger class since the advent of second edition, third edition did make it slightly more balanced, by reducing the strength bonus in the offhand. as for bonuses, I think the shield more than makes up for the lack of a second attack. If i wasn't playing a psychotic (great)axe-wielding dwarf, I'd be using a battle axe and shield.
Old 07-08-2002, 01:50 PM   #7
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Morgeruat:
quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
true Drizzt did make the drow ranger thing way overblown, but dual wielding has been part of the ranger class since the advent of second edition, third edition did make it slightly more balanced, by reducing the strength bonus in the offhand. as for bonuses, I think the shield more than makes up for the lack of a second attack. If i wasn't playing a psychotic (great)axe-wielding dwarf, I'd be using a battle axe and shield.[/QUOTE] Hehehehe Im used to the 1st edition rules, never really ever saw a need for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc...etc... Basicly we just used 1st edition rules as a guide and modified to fit our sensibilities [img]smile.gif[/img] So I see 2nd and 3rd editions as ...welll mostly just unnecessary rule adjustments ment to gain TSR/WoTC more $$$. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-08-2002, 02:27 PM   #8
Greadius
The Magister

I'm not sure about additional feats involved in some of the books, but I know that there are several prestige classes that give bonuses for using a medium weapon in one-hand and leaving the other one free.

In the game rules, one could also wield a medium weapon in two hands to get the bonus modifier. Additionally, one could have used the off-hand to make an attack attempt.

Its really style over substance kind of arguement. In a PnP game, if a player wanted to do it, I would work out a 'compensaion' system similar to the prestige classes. In NWN, I suppose you could edit the rules, or just carry a shield when nobody is looking
Greadius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 05:17 PM   #9
john
Drizzt Do'Urden

In regards to building bow skills where do you do that my ranger only uses his bow when enemies are further off..otherwise he has 2 quickslots setup with different dual weilding types of weapons.So I really don't know if my bow skills are developing or not!?
Old 07-09-2002, 06:27 AM   #10
Zateel
Zhentarim Guard

One CLEAR advantage is that you have a much higher attack rating using a one-hander than duel-wielding, even with high Dex and feats.

Secondly, you save about three feats, unless you are a Ranger in light armor.

Lastly, if you are an arcane spell caster (who has a poor BAB already) who wants to use a single weapon (dagger, short sword, etc), then equipping a shield adds to the chance of spell failure.