Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2002, 02:15 PM   #1
NobleNick
Quintesson

Fellow adventurers,

(Possible minor spoiler below, for those who have not completed ToFG)

I am playing IWD with HoW installed, and am having problems with getting the desired priest spells.

My priest was created in "full game" mode. He is Lawful Neutral, with abilities 18/18/18/10/18/6 (yes, I rolled for a while to get that). He went "semi-solo" through to the end of Vale (had some help in the rough spots) and then joined in with a party that was starting ToFG. The party he joined is now gearing up to enter Dragon's Eye. He is now at level 7, with access to level 4 priest spells.

Here's my problem: Several spells that I would really like to have in my priest's repetoire' are missing; and I can't seem to find a way to get him to memorize them. The spells that I really want that don't appear in his priest scroll are: 2nd-level spell "Entangle"; and 4th-level spell "Moonlight Wall." (He is missing others, as well; but I don't care too much about them.)

I tried going back to a save game, just before he leveled to 7, and re-leveled. No joy: the 4th-level spells are the same.

I couldn't find "Moonlight Wall;" but did buy "Entangle" from Orrick. However, my priest doesn't seem to have the option of memorizing it (maybe because it is the mage version of "Entangle?").

With a WIS of 18 and an INT of 10, I would expect my priest to at least be given the option of trying to memorize a spell.

So, my questions are:

1.) Can a priest learn a spell that was not alloted to him (like mages are able to do)?

2.) Is my priest maybe maxed out on the # of spells he can learn because of his INT=10 ?

3.) If the answer to "1.)" is "Yes," and the answer to "2.)" is "No;" then where do I acquire the desired priest spells? Can I purchase them somewhere (where?), or must I find them in treasure locations?

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

[ 02-20-2002: Message edited by: NobleNick ]

NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 03:08 PM   #2
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Sorry Nick! But Priests Can't Learn Spells From Scrolls! Also, I Don't Think Int Affects The Priests Spell Slots.
Old 02-20-2002, 03:18 PM   #3
Darkman

Indeed, priests cannot learn more spells by scribing them. They innately learn spells as they grow more experienced, or perhaps their gods grant them powers, whatever. High or low intelligence does not affect a priest's divine abilities.

As for those two spells you mentioned, Entangle is a level 1 Druid spell and Wall of Moonlight is a level 4 Druid spell. If your priest is a Cleric and not a Druid, you will never be able to use these spells. I think in Baldur's Gate Entangle is available to both Druids and Clerics, but not so in IWD. However, if you priest is actually a Druid and can't use these spells, then you got yourself a problem
Old 02-20-2002, 03:26 PM   #4
Azred
Drow Priestess

Beaumanoir and Darkman are 100% correct. However, is your priest able to use the scroll? This could help, albeit in short supply.

Also, I see that you have discovered font color. Fun, isn't it?

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 03:53 PM   #5
NobleNick
Quintesson

Hey fellas! Thanks! That's TWO things I was doing wrong.

Hmmm.... I wonder, now, if I should dual one of my fighters over to druid (instead of to priest) when my priest duals over to fighter.

Hey, one more question, (since you guys seem to be so "in the know"): If I dual a fighter to priest or druid, and the fighter has specialized in bow, will the dual-classed character EVER be able to use a bow again? Does the answer change if you start out as cleric and dual over to fighter?

Azred, I see you slipped in a post whilst I was in reply mode. Heh, heh, heh, yes: Had figured it out last week; but it was your posts that inspired me to start using it to set my posts apart. Nice technique. I hope you don't mind me joining in.

I really liked your choice of color; but didn't want to copy yours exactly. I fiddled with a few colors and font styles, with unsatisfactory results; and finally surfed out to a few color map sites. In the end, I found a color that I actually like a little better than the one you are using (it's the one I am using for this post. Thanks for the idea!

Oh, yeah, and the reason that I noticed that the color helped your posts stand out is that I seem to be so often searching for them. You are one of a very small group of individuals who seem to consistently deliver good, detailed info in a succinct manner. Great info you put out!

Your scroll idea is a wonderful one, too. I have "entangle." (Ooo! That may be a mage spell.) If my priest can use it, then I guess he can use all "druid spell" scrolls. Then I just need to find ONE "Wall of Moonlight:" I'll replicate that puppy a few times and stuff a scroll bag with 'em.

Is it out there?

Edit: Added reply to Azred.

[ 02-20-2002: Message edited by: NobleNick ]

Old 02-20-2002, 04:03 PM   #6
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Well, I Had A Cleric/Ranger, And These Can Cast Druid Spells! Prists Can Use Spells FROM The Scroll, But These Scrolls Get Destroyed In The Process!
Old 02-20-2002, 06:58 PM   #7
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Single, dual and multi-class clerics and druids are always restricted to weapons choices allowed by the cleric/druid class. SO, no bows or crossbows and no edged weapons EXCEPT for scimitars for druids.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 09:51 PM   #8
Azred
Drow Priestess

quote:
Originally posted by NobleNick:
Azred, I see you slipped in a post whilst I was in reply mode. Heh, heh, heh, yes: Had figured it out last week; but it was your posts that inspired me to start using it to set my posts apart. Nice technique. I hope you don't mind me joining in.

I really liked your choice of color; but didn't want to copy yours exactly. I fiddled with a few colors and font styles, with unsatisfactory results; and finally surfed out to a few color map sites. In the end, I found a color that I actually like a little better than the one you are using (it's the one I am using for this post. Thanks for the idea!

Oh, yeah, and the reason that I noticed that the color helped your posts stand out is that I seem to be so often searching for them. You are one of a very small group of individuals who seem to consistently deliver good, detailed info in a succinct manner. Great info you put out!

Well, I thank you for the compliment, but I can certainly say that I am far from the only person here with many pieces of valuable advice/commentary; Micah Foehammer (to whom I need to reply elsewhere) and Beaumanoir are fonts of wisdom. Unfortunately, I cannot credit everyone.

The technique for colorization is always available to everyone here; not too terribly many use it. Experiment with some other codes like

marquee

or entering urls like going to Interplay. You'll pick it all up in no time flat. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Check out the graphics/smilies pages; links are at the top of the forum board. They are great for sprucing up your posts.

Micah is correct. I think the only way to get fighter and cleric/druid to have a bow would be to dual the cleric/druid to a fighter; this is only a hypothesis, further testing required to make it a theory.

Lastly, unfortunately there is no scroll case or bag of holding (well, the Jester's Bag [img]graemlins/1dizzy.gif[/img] ), unless one exists in ToTLM (which I still don't have; I'll try to get it this weekend).

[img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

Old 02-21-2002, 04:27 PM   #9
NobleNick
Quintesson

Azred,

[img]tongue.gif[/img]

Thank you!

I didn't want to start making a list that some might interpret to mean, "If I'm not on his list then he must think my posts are $@*&%!" Although I tried NOT to think that far, Foehammer's name did pop to mind. I enjoy Beaumanoir's posts, too, and typically find them instructive.

Well, in the last day I've tanked my way through Dragon's Eye level 1 using only 3 healing potions; so think I have enough firepower to not worry about missing a "moon-whatever." (Oh! How I LOVE Agannazar's Scorcher! It is a beautiful sight to see 5 or 6 mean guys get caught in the blast path and turn into a pile of smoking gator meat. Been to a lizard roast, lately? Heh, heh, heh, I have... The archers provide the shishkebobs and my diminutive mage/thief provides the flame-grilling! I can hardly wait till 2 of my fighters dual over to mage! Then I'll have 2-1/2 mages instead of just 1/2 .... YEE-E-E-E HAA-A-A-AAH!!!)

I think that a neat exercise would be to take a party through IWD, built around all the characters that I see no use for (e.g. bard, ranger, druid). I am sure they are useful, and this exercise would teach me why.

Edit: Vanity editting

[ 02-21-2002: Message edited by: NobleNick ]

Old 02-21-2002, 05:58 PM   #10
Azred
Drow Priestess

Well, no, you can't list every person able to hand out useful comments. Besides, only very few people here are so childish as to become upset because of what someone else says (or doesn't say).