Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2002, 03:44 PM   #1
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

I'm Quite happy. I Just Completed Icewind (Not HoW) With ALL 6 Party Members Alive, Although My Mage Had 1 Hp And Was Unconcious At The Time! It Seemed Quite Short Compared To Baldurs Gate, Did Anyone Find This So??
Old 02-18-2002, 03:09 PM   #2
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Are you referring to its length compared to just BG1? or BG1/TotSc combined? I thought BG1 was marginally longer than IWD.

I think the difference is that BG1 has more geographical areas to explore, but the areas in IWD are actually more expansive and more detailed in terms of content. What separates the two games in my mind is the sheer scope of Baldur's Gate city proper. If you compare the two games side by side, I think one could make a case that the games are actually pretty close in size, EXCEPT for BG city! There is NOTHING of that scope in IWD. IWD has fewer areas to explore but in general, the existing areas are deeper and more complex.

In fact, in IWD I kind of miss the true adventuring feel, the random encounter nature that was present in BG1. In that sense, BG1 was probably a richer game than IWD was. I think IWD would have been a MUCH better game had there been a mechanism for generating random encounters beyond the simple respawning that occurred in some areas. BG1 gave you the feeling that you were actually "exploring"; I don;t think IWD did that.

But I still loved IWD and think its a great game! [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 04:47 PM   #3
Azred
Drow Priestess

Then simply write some new scripts (or edit the current area scripts) to add random monster spawns. [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]

Anyway, I didn't find IWD to be short, especially when I was trudging through the Severed Hand and looking for that stupid elevator or fumbling around for the switch! [img]graemlins/madhell.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 07:00 PM   #4
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

The monster respawning per se isn't the issue: Its the lack of being to really get the exploring the countryside feel that Bg1 offers. But like I said, I still loved the game.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 07:26 PM   #5
NobleNick
Quintesson

Beaumanoir,

Congratulations!

I can't compare to BG, having never played; but know that I am taking FAR longer then the 25 hours that someone boasted that an experienced player ought to be able to do it in. I have over 40 hours in, and just completed the Vale. Well ... O.K. ... I did some goofing around, saving multiple versions of the game to see "what if" I do this or that. And I have also played one character solo through the first part of the game (up to Kuldahar) to replace a character in the party that I wasn't satisfied with. However, my guess is that, even if I get down to business and don't take the HoW detour, I'll blow the doors right off the 100 hour marker before the end of IWD is even in sight.

Azred,

How do you go about creating/editing the area scripts?
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 08:17 PM   #6
Azred
Drow Priestess

quote:
Originally posted by NobleNick:
Azred,

How do you go about creating/editing the area scripts?

As much as a fan of TeamBG as I am, I would suggest downloading Near Infinity, as it allows editing scripts directly into the game (no compiling needed). Locate the script you want to edit from the BCS folder and simply type out the changes you want to make. CAUTION This is definitely not for the faint of heart or those not reasonably comfortable with programming; you can permanently damage your game by editing these, requiring a reinstall of the game.
Caveat uttered, I can say that altering scripts can improve the performance or "correctness" of some things in the game, such as monster spawning or traps (yes, trap effects are scripts). I, myself, tend to shy away from script altering still; at best, I consider myself to be a novice at it. Search for posts by Vaskez on all the forum boards here, because he definitely knows more about it than I do.

mental note to self: I can't believe I forgot my obligatory green font!

[ 02-18-2002: Message edited by: Azred ]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 03:23 PM   #7
NobleNick
Quintesson

Azred,

Thanks! I downloaded it (and the environment), yesterday. Could be a while before I actually use it, though; since I am having too much fun just playing the game as it is.
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote