Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2001, 05:40 PM   #1
cHiCkEn_HeD
Dungeon Master

This is an opinion post. I know that it all depends on what type of player you are, and that is why I opened this topic. I'm curious to everyone's opinion on the most useful kits for each class. I will start it off:

Fighter:
If my goal was to dual, the kensai/mage combo (as most know) is by far one of the best and most powerful duals in the game. but playing solo, no dualing, i'd take the beserker. i love the enrage ability and the immunities and bonuses it gives you. So overall, i'd take the beserker. (but kensai gets CLOSE second)

Ranger:
definatley archer. i LOVE this kit. might be my fav kit in the game. i think the beastmaster is practically useless (except for role-playing of course). The stalker is kinda cool, love the minor backstab ability. but it does not compare to the archer. the to hit and damage bonuses you get every 3 levels, the called shots, just so cool. i made an elven (which already has bonuses in long bow) archer with master in longbow using the strong arm. it was just SO much fun picking off people before they even touched me. ver cool kit.

Paladin:
Seriously, i think ALL the paladin kits are practical, and VERY useful depending on what you like to kill. but personally, i LOVE the inquisitor's double-level dispel magic ability. its saved my but so many times its not even funny. just for that alone, i give the inqisitor the nod as the best paladin kit. but wow, the cavalier and undead hunter are both VERY cool too though.

Bard:
Not a big fan of bards. i can see how they might be cool for a challenge or to role play, but they dont do much for me. but i HAVE played them all, and the most useful one, i'd say, is the skald. but barely. just because the battle song is quite useful, but it does not get better, which sucks. i mean, to me, a practical use for a bard would be to tag along and identify things, or to sing his/her little heart out during the thick of combat. and maybe a little spellcasting here and there. the skald can do all of them pretty well, and has some decent attack bonuses. so its the skald for me.

Cleric:
This is a total alignment choice to me. all three of the special skills for a priest of Helm, Lathander, and Talos have their uses. BUT, if i had to chose one, it would be storm shield for the talos priest. VERY handy. i also REALLY like the Helm's +4 sword. comes in handy if you dont have any +4 weapons lying around.

Druid:
Druids can be a real blast to play with. i certainly dont think they are all-powerful, but shapeshifting can be very entertaining. not to mention those handly little insects but anyway, to me its a toos-up between the avenger and the shapeshifter. i think the Totemic druid is pretty useless. all of the 'spirit animals' arent very good, and he/she cant shapeshift! the multitude of different shapes an avenger can take would be handy depending on the situation, and when you get to the 13th level, the shapeshifter is VERY fun to play. i like the greater werewolf. i just think it needs a lower THAC0. but overall, i would take the shapeshifter.

Thief:
The thief is the most versitile character. there is almost always a time in some quest where a good thief comes in VERY handy. So this is one of the few classes where the base class of a thief might be the most 'useful'. BUT, we are talking kits here. my vote would definatly go to the bounty hunter. the penalties to his/her skill points arent that bad. and those special traps are VERY powerful, and underrated in my mind. when bg2 first came out, the assassin was the kit i was looking forward to the most. but i have to say that im pretty much dissapointed with it. i think that the assassin should have specialization in thief weapons. (though i dont know if that would make things unbalanced). but i DO like the x7 backstab he/she gets. swashbuckler is cool if u dual him/her to a mage. and he/she also has the specialization i wanted for the assassin. but no backstab. i know there are lots of people that dont think that backstab is very useful. i am NOT one of them. i love backstab. comes in VERY handy for me. overapll, though. the bounty hunter is my fav.

the barbarian and the monk are the only two left. but they arent kits. i'll just say a quick blurb on them:

Barbarian:
i can see his/her usefulness. runs like the wind, tonnes of hit points, cant be backstabbed, when he/she gets pissed, its pretty powerful. but no further specialization with weapons. i dunno. barbarians just aernt my type of character.

Monk:
My favorite class in the game (that and archer). ive played the game through a few times. by FAR the most powerful character i had at high levels was the monk. this thing is amazing. VERY fast, can hide in shadows and sneak up on people, magic resistances on higher levels, quivering palm and stunning blow, lots of attacks per round, AC keeps on lowering, and has the ablilty to amlost single-handedly take on anything in the game. the monk is great in my mind. there is almost nothing i would change. maybe to have his/her own stronghold i guess. (monestary). but thats it! i LOVE the monk! if anything, i think it might be TOO powerful, but oh well.

i welcome any and all opinions!! the dont have to be this detailed, or they could be mroe detailed! no such thing as a bad opinion! happy gaming!

------------------
Wise man once said, don't spill beer on cHiCkEn HeD
Old 03-14-2001, 05:45 PM   #2
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Fighter: Berserker (intention to dual to mage, with elven chains)
Paladin: Undead hunter
Ranger: Archer, otherwise no kits
Cleric: Talos (but have to be evil)
Thief: Swashbuckler (intend to dual to mage), otherwise assassins
Druid: No kits
Bard: Jester (nice confusion songs)

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 03-14-2001, 06:02 PM   #3
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Fighter: Definately a kensai, either dual to a thief or a mage.
Ranger: Archer, the best kit, otherwise no kit and dual to cleric
Paladin: Undead hunter, I like the immunity
Cleric: Talos-priest
Druid: Totemic druid, I don't like the druid very much but I like the idea of this one.
Thief: If I plan to dual to a mage, I take the swashbuckler, otherwise I like the bountyhunter.
Barbarian: Not very appealing.
Monk: I have only heard positive things about the monk, and I still haven't played it. I gotta do it some time.