Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2002, 03:28 AM   #1
trex_2010
Dungeon Master

I need some help with killing this thing...I breezed through the game with my current party but I can't even hurt this thing. My party is:
Fighter 14
Ranger 6 / Fighter 8
Rogue 14
Cleric 14
Wizard 14

Do I need special weapons for him or what? Only my spells seemed to do damage. Also, my fighter 14 somehow does cold damage...It boggles me...No enchantments on weapons or anything...he just does extra cold damage.

Also, I thought I'd sell all the junk from the Temple in Kuhldahar and try the dragon again with new stuff, and I had to fight with Cedra and her forces. But when i killed the last of the neo-orogs by the statue/fountain thing, I didn't get a message that I killed everything and Iselore won't talk to me.

Did the portal close behind me? Can I still enter the Chult jungle? I'm too scared and tired to log back in to check myself...I want to kill that bish, as soon as I find out what hurts it.

Anyway, apreciate all and any feedback on this.

PS: Biggest mistake of the game, me making an Evoker. I forgot that Conjuration is not just summoning monsters. I almost fell off my chair when i tried to scribe Cloud Kill and Melf's Acid Arrow and couldn't. Oh well.. =(

[ 11-10-2002, 03:46 AM: Message edited by: trex_2010 ]
Old 11-10-2002, 04:16 AM   #2
Guinness
The Magister

1) you can return to Chute as long as the Guardian is NOT slain.

2) It's a hard Battle, and you will want:
-lots of magic 'missile weapons'
-at least 2 ORS spells memorised
-at least 2 summon spells memorised
-a few spells to reduce enemy resistance (doom, malison, lower resist)
-as many anti fear and anti acid stuff
-----------------------------

STEP 1: bring whole party below the stairs (spread them out a little)

Step 2: Summon 1 creature, move it to the top of the stairs, then OSR it.

STEP 3: activate the Guardian byt sending a fast character to place the last column in place, and run back.

STEP 4: The Guardian will not be able to decend the stairs cos, you are blocking it with an OSR-ed creature. So pelt it, shoot it, blast it....etc.

STEP 5: don't forget to summon another creature and OSR it just below the first BEFORE the original OSR runs out.

VOILA!!!!!!
-----------------------------
This is the easiest wat I found. You can bash it to bits with summons and buffing up all the party, but this is so much easier.
Old 11-14-2002, 10:54 AM   #3
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Uh, the Guardian may not be able to WALK down those stairs but TWICE now it's done a lovely job of TELEPORTING OVER my Otiluked Boneguard skeleton and right on into my party! AAAAACK!

Anyone got suggestions on this one?

My party: all about level 13
Wizard
Paladin
Barbarian
cleric of oghma
rogue
bard (10th)/wiz(3rd lvl)
Old 11-14-2002, 11:40 AM   #4
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

simple, just use the spell " DISINTEGRATE " and bam! that dragon is gone.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 03:13 PM   #5
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Hmmm..well, I'll try that but I have my doubts! LOL
Old 11-14-2002, 11:15 PM   #6
trex_2010
Dungeon Master

actually when i tired this the second time, all my characters had +3 and +4 weapons so all it took was one complete heal on the fighter that was taking all the damage to bring this thing down. knock some potions down, casts a few spells , group haste, Mordakain's Sword for wizard = dead dragon in 30 seconds or less.
Old 11-15-2002, 11:35 AM   #7
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by trex_2010:
actually when i tired this the second time, all my characters had +3 and +4 weapons so all it took was one complete heal on the fighter that was taking all the damage to bring this thing down. knock some potions down, casts a few spells , group haste, Mordakain's Sword for wizard = dead dragon in 30 seconds or less.
hmmm, my wizard used it and Ms/Mr Dragon cheerfully killed a few of my party and it took WAY longer than 30 seconds! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2003, 11:29 AM   #8
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Arggggg!!!

This guy is tough, my weapons are useless And the only two guys that can do any damage are my druid and sorcerer.

Well I have fought him 3 times each battle takes close too a half hour before my Monk or Palidin(both seem resistant to panic) bites it. I have him almost dead the last two times. I have my Theif and Barbarian in the far corner since they are both useless. I try to get him to chase the Monk due to saving throws against spells. My Druid cast spells like Thorn Spray(18 to 35dmg), Call Lighning(12 to 45dmg, 10res ), and the Alicorn Lance(2 to 5dmg). My Sorcerer cast magic missel(2 to 5 each hit), and she also has lightning which I use as a last resort because of the resistance. Both have summons to use but they don't last long. My Monk runs around in circles as they cast spells. I will possibly beat him tonight but any further tips would be welcome. My Palidin is used as a back up if my monk takes too much damage and needs to heal they do a switch aroo.

If I knew what I would have been facing I would have picked up some extra spells on scrolls like Thorn Spray.

[ 03-21-2003, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 04:44 PM   #9
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Try using several lower resistance spells on the dragon! There is NO save but you will need more than one to have an impact. Disintegrate will ONLY work if you can get past the dragon's magic resistance AND you get VERY lucky on a fortitude save! Cast Malison (no saving throw but resistance can still neagte its effects) after the lower resistance spells hit. Follow that with Bane and Doom. Those spells will SUBSTANTIALLY lower the dragons magic protections and at least give your spells a CHANCE to hit him and do some damage.

Summon MULTIPLE monsters.

Beef up your characters with elemental resistance and/or protection from acid to reduce the damage that the dragons breath weapon does. Cover the front line fighters with stoneskin and bulls strength; and cast protection from evil, bless, prayer, and hope on the entire party. After the monsters are summoned cast HASTE - mass haste if you have it. Cast mirror image on your mage, and iron skin on your cleric and barkskin on your druid. If you have enough barkskins to go around, try using them on the front line fighters as well.

NOW summon the dragon. Be aware that the dragon will target the person who summoned him first so try to get the summoned monsters in his way.

Have your cleric in the back ready with healing spells. [img]smile.gif[/img]

The dragon was NOT that tough. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 05:35 PM   #10
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Micah I have been using 3 lower resistances, haste, and stoneskins and I know he isn't that bad as I believe I can actually take him without losing any hit points what so ever. My main problem is I have nothing to prevent panic as well as running out of effective damaging spells before he dies. What weapons did you use against him, as a final ditch effort I can send in the fighters if I actually had effective wapons that deal damage.

[ 03-21-2003, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote