Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2003, 11:54 AM   #1
Yop the Twit
Elite Waterdeep Guard

So i'm in Kuldahar, I pick pocket the bar waitress, I leave town and start chapter two....

i think, "oh chapter two, good time to save my game an purge all those unwanted savegame files..."

heh heh, so now i can't return to kuldahar without getting killed...

any suggestions?

...(and I was really starting to like this game....)
Old 01-22-2003, 12:06 PM   #2
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

I am not entirly sure what the problem is. How are you getting killed? If you made it were you are you should be able to get back without dying?

Do you have the latest patches?
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 12:14 PM   #3
Yop the Twit
Elite Waterdeep Guard

no no no....

when I return to Kuldahar....I'm getting killed by the townspeople!!!

First the wizzard guy, and once he's dead (after numerous cheatersdoprosper trickeries) basicallly the rest of the town....

I don't think that's supposed to happen eh?

something's fishy....
Old 01-22-2003, 12:38 PM   #4
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

Were you caught stealing Yop? I can't say that I've ever heard of this, but I assume it has something to do with your actions before you left to go to the Vale.
Old 01-22-2003, 12:49 PM   #5
pritchke

Something is definiatly wrong there. Did you accidently kill anyone outside? I killed everyone in the bar once but it had no effect on people outside. The only person that you really need to be able to talk to is the archdruid. If you can still talk to the druid than the rest of them don't matter. Wipe them out all of them. If you have to kill the mage in the tower, and the blacksmith it will make selling things difficult and you will lose a little experiance but oh well.
Old 01-22-2003, 01:38 PM   #6
Yop the Twit
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the initial input, killing everyone in town would be a last resort i think...

I'm concerned with my party's reputation, not only did the barmaid catch me stealing, but now the town wants me dead... if I kill everyone, what will that do to my party reputation?

After Dragon's Lair or Dragon's Eye (begining of Chapter 2) how long do I have to wait untill I get to a new town...

if I have to kill the blacksmith I'd be a pretty sore fighter with now bolts or arrows....

(although I guess i could spawn these items....)
Old 01-22-2003, 02:03 PM   #7
pritchke

As soon as you finish dragons eye you will get to an area (Chapter 3 I think)were you need to go through two levels(floors) to get to a merchant who will sell and buy, almost anything. It is sort of a town but I don't want to spoil it. I am not sure if having a bad rep will effect them buying or selling as I have never been in the situation before, it will likely effect the cost if anything. If you have a mage the "friends" spell may actually be helpful. Do you have paladins or rangers in your party? That would be the worst because they will become fallen and lose all their abilities. If the ranger is human you can dual to something else I think.

[ 01-22-2003, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
Old 01-24-2003, 01:38 PM   #8
SirWillow
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it sounds to me like you're out of luck and are in need of starting over.

If you've failed on pickpocketing, then the barmaid and everyone else will turn against you. If you left before you saw them turn, it still won't prevent them from turning. And there is no making peace at that point.

In spite of what the others say, you really can't afford to do without the wizard or blacksmith. They are your main source for weapons, spells, and other supplies through the game, and the other stores can't make up for that. Not to mention the huge prices you'll be paying from having lost your rep when you killed the townspeople just to save your life.

Here's what I would do. Load up your game, pause it, then start exporting your characters- taking everything out of containers (scroll pouches, gem bags, etc) because you'll lose the containers and everything in them. Then restart a new game and instead of generating all new characters import the ones that you just exported. You won't lose the work you did that way (levels, equipment, etc) and while you'll have to replay the first 2 chapters, they won't take you that long at this point.
Old 01-25-2003, 04:54 AM   #9
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Yop the Twit:

I'm concerned with my party's reputation, not only did the barmaid catch me stealing, but now the town wants me dead... if I kill everyone, what will that do to my party reputation?

I'm not entirely sure, but I believe reputation is hardly used in IWD... Can't even recall it was actually being recorded in the first place.
But I have to agree with SirWillow, you'll need Kuldahar for the rest of the game... Starting all over again may sound like a hassle, but I don't think you really have a choice. You're also missing out on several future quests (fetch spellbook for Orrick and all) and I believe it's even a part of the game plot to return to Kuldahar regularly. Just do as SirWillow said; export your characters and import them into a new savegame. You'll be back at where you were in no time with those higher level-characters. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-25-2003, 05:11 AM   #10
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

Reputation isn't a recognised statistic in the sense of the BG series, but it is said to exist and play a part in how your party is received. The biggest problem that you face Yop is that you are required to go back to Kuldahar more than once in the early stages, and killing everybody isn't a good idea.

Do the import/export thing, so it shouldn't take you so long to get back to where you are now. Or see it as an opportunity to begin a new party armed as you are with more knowledge of how IWD works. [img]smile.gif[/img]