Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2002, 10:14 AM   #1
the freshmaker
Elite Waterdeep Guard

So yesterday afternoon, finding myself with a large chunk of free time, I decided to sit down and occupy my afternoon with Wizardry VIII.

Starting out the afternoon at the beginning of the Rattkin tree, I did all I needed to in the 6th bought, such as kill the breeder Rats, talk to Don Barlone. I decided to travel back to Arnika to sell all the extra weapons I was toting around to Antone. Give him the unique items i had found for custom weapons, put the silver ball back into the tracking machine in the Arnika space port... then back to Trynton, and into the swamp. There I explored a bit, found croc's house. Got some info out of him, then went up to the area near the Mine entrance... and then decided I had enough game time for the day.

This seems like very slow progress for 8 hours of game-time. Anyone else .

PS. Why is Myles whining anytime I'm gonna move on from the swamp... "I think I hear my mother calling."
Old 01-28-2002, 11:14 AM   #2
edA-qa
Welcomed New User

I found that part of the game slow as well. However, I set about the same pace and my overall playing time was only around 70-80 hours (I'm estimating here, could be off some).
edA-qa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 03:45 PM   #3
Jem
Zhentarim Guard

quote:
Originally posted by the freshmaker:
There I explored a bit, found croc's house. Got some info out of him, then went up to the area near the Mine entrance... and then decided I had enough game time for the day.

This seems like very slow progress for 8 hours of game-time. Anyone else .

PS. Why is Myles whining anytime I'm gonna move on from the swamp... "I think I hear my mother calling."

Actually, it was longer than 8 hours in game-time. That was probably several days in game-time but it was 8 hours of gameplay.

I've been playing an avg of 3 hours each evening and 10 on each weekend day and I finished the game yesterday for a total of between 130-150 hours. That was doing all the quests I could, doing all the retro-dungeons, spending lots of time slogging around looking for fights to build xp and skills and mapping every inch of the game I could.

Even so, it didn't feel like I was really making a whole lot of progress until I had all three artifacts and was headed in the Rapax Rift and that was only about 8 days ago.

Keep slogging away. The point isn't to finish the game in the shortest amount of time -- it's to have fun.
Old 01-28-2002, 05:19 PM   #4
Mister Natural
Manshoon

Well you've accomplished in 8 hours, what I have done in around 3 weeks. I don't get a lot of time for gaming, but like it. Certainly RPG's are not something in which you should have concern over how fast you can get through it.
Old 01-28-2002, 06:08 PM   #5
Dan Speziale
Dungeon Master

There are those times when I play the game and I can't account for 3-4 hours of playing because I've been constantly in battles and unable to get to a certain area. Consequently right now I've been trying to get back to Trynton and I keep running into enemies.

I sure do wish that there was a way to instantly finish a battle, though (OK, besides cheating).

[Hey there, Mr. Natural! Good to see you here!]

Dan
Dan Speziale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 09:30 AM   #6
the freshmaker
Elite Waterdeep Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Dan Speziale:
Consequently right now I've been trying to get back to Trynton and I keep running into enemies.

Tell me about it. Going from Arnika to Trynton is such a pain in the butt. All those fights with Juggernauts that are tought to avoid.... oi. those battles take forever.

I guess that people are corect when saying that take as much time with it as I'd like. Nobody is scoring us. Still there are times when I feel inadequate to the people who are their 5th time through the game since they've had the thing in 4 weeks.

I took me about 5 monthes of playtime to make it through BG2:SoA, and then I reinstalled that thing added the ToB expansion and played from the beginning, which took me another 6 monthes. I just like to know that I'm not only one experiencing these slow completion, the fact that I'm not RPG-playing differently-abled or something.
Old 01-29-2002, 11:30 AM   #7
Mister Natural
Manshoon

Thanks Dan,
Yeah I'll be popping in a bit, getting tips as I need them. I definitely plan on seeing this one through, and I'm definitely going to need help with some of the adventure elements.
Old 01-29-2002, 11:31 AM   #8
MaskedFrog
Drow Warrior

You are not alone in how long the game takes. Personally I do not know exactly how much time I have spent playing because the game keeps me so enthralled I do not perceive the passage of time. Always the sign of a good game. Whenever I feel a game is getting bogged down, I either quit playing it altogether or play something else for a while and come back.

I have only found a few places in Wizardry VIII that got really bogged down (Rapax Away Camp and Mine Entrance). Just keep on moving through and you will eventually get to somewhere that captures your interest
MaskedFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 12:54 AM   #9
Rolla ZE
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I spent hours in the Bayjin area where the huts are. I had to fight a lot of creatures to get there and I sought refuge in one of those huts. Everytime I rested to heal and regain magic a horde of curare crabs and serpents would be camped at the door of the hut. It took many battles before finally I was able to leave the hut with full health. Very good for levelling your characters though!
Rolla ZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 01:06 AM   #10
chimera99
The Magister

Most NPC's have places they won't go, Myles has more than most. Load him down and then run around until he goes unconconsious. Then cross into the next area. He won't be as effective and he will whine a lot, but that's what he gets for being picky.

[ 01-30-2002: Message edited by: chimera99 ]

chimera99 is offline   Reply With Quote