Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2001, 09:07 PM   #1
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

I went up on the web at lunch today to see if there were any reviews of last nights premiere of The Lord of the Rings in London. For the most part everyone was VERY positive about the movie. Here is one link http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/html/h...op_direct.html

I also found a comprehensive site on the London Gazette(?). They had several different reviews. The more I read the more I am totally excited about the Movie. I'll be on pins and needles until I get to see it!
Old 12-11-2001, 09:30 PM   #2
Debaser

I am absolutely, insanely looking forward to Lord of the Rings coming out...December 19th will be an awesome awesome day

i just read that review...the guy basically sounds like a jaded, imbecilic prick who has no appreciation for fine fantasy and would rather obsessively-compulsively compare everything to Harry Potter. He can go lick the sweat off a horse's ass--the movie is going to rule.
Old 12-11-2001, 09:44 PM   #3
huma
The Magister

I,m glad it is getting decent reviews,I am also eagerly- eagerly waiting to see this film.
Anyone on this board from london who has seen this movie?
Please post your personal reviews.
Old 12-11-2001, 09:53 PM   #4
huma
The Magister

quote:
Originally posted by huma:
I,m glad it is getting decent reviews,I am also eagerly- eagerly waiting to see this film.
Anyone on this board from london who has seen this movie?
Please post your personal reviews.

Sorry about the decent reviews bit.I hadn,t actually read the full review when I wrote that.HAVE YOU READ THAT REVIEW wooohooo,this movie is indeed going to be incredible.I was having a tough time waiting before,now this is almost unbearable.
Old 12-11-2001, 10:16 PM   #5
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
Its already out in England? DAMNABLE HELL!

We have to wait 8 more days
Old 12-11-2001, 10:27 PM   #6
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I guess I'm one of those formerly long haired hippy types that he so rashly referred to, as I watched the Sci-Fi channel special twice, and very nearly cried both times. I'm already on the edge of my seat in anticipation, and I have read the complete series about 30 times. It may actually be more. I think that that reviewer was one of those guys in school that couldn't keep his lunch money
Old 12-11-2001, 11:29 PM   #7
Tancred
White Dragon

I have many more hopes than I do fears of this movie. I think we're all going to be counting the days. We've had to sit through damnable Potter and the despicable Dungeons and Dragons, and cringe as the good name of fantasy literature was torpedoed by imbeciles. Time for something good!
Old 12-11-2001, 11:31 PM   #8
Tancred
White Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Grand-Ranger:
Its already out in England? DAMNABLE HELL!

We have to wait 8 more days

No, no, no, no, no. Be at peace - all brits are waiting with baited breath, same as you. But the premiere was held in London on Monday, and I suppose it's possible someone on the board was there.
Old 12-11-2001, 11:44 PM   #9
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Actually for all you Harry Potter bashers out there, I both read the book and saw the movie and thought both were very good. Not up to par with say Tolkien, Robin Hobbs, J.V. Jones or David Eddings, but great for kids. The movie was also quite faithful to the book as well. They are great books to hook kids on reading, which I think is incredibly important. When I was growing up I read stuff like The Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper and The Black Cauldron by Lloyd Alexander. They took me into to Tolkein and from there to other fantasy and Sci-fi. So I think the Harry Potter books are great.
Old 12-11-2001, 11:49 PM   #10
Tancred
White Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Taliesin:
Actually for all you Harry Potter bashers out there, I both read the book and saw the movie and thought both were very good. Not up to par with say Tolkien, Robin Hobbs, J.V. Jones or David Eddings, but great for kids. The movie was also quite faithful to the book as well. They are great books to hook kids on reading, which I think is incredibly important. When I was growing up I read stuff like The Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper and The Black Cauldron by Lloyd Alexander. They took me into to Tolkein and from there to other fantasy and Sci-fi. So I think the Harry Potter books are great.

Oh, the BOOKS are fine. The film was... well, damnable. Daniel Radcliffe's acting is stilted and grating, there were some glaringly pertinent pieces of information left out of the film and the one, massive, gigantic gripe I have of the Potter film is that it adds absolutely nothing - NOTHING - to my enjoyment of the books. It is, simply, one person's vision of the book. I don't need that, I've got my own, thank you very much. It's just a damn shame Miss. Rowling was breathing down the director's neck, or he might have been allowed to do something creative.
With any luck, the Lord of the Rings won't be the same case.