Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2003, 07:42 AM   #1
wellard
Dracolisk

My favourite genre of books is personal travel books. Not the guides to a country or such but the trials and tribulations of a person’s enlightenment through travel.

I have so many that I like and so few of them have been read less than twice. A topic came up in the general discussion forum that reminded me of that greatest of writers most obscure book. "Travels with Charlie" by Stienbeck.

Are there some other gems out there that the good folk of Ironworks would recommend?

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 03:33 PM   #2
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Most Bill Bryson is real "laugh-out-loud-on-the-bus-so-that-people-look-at-you-in-a-funny-way" kind of stuff. "Notes from a Small Island" is especially hilarious if you're British - he walks around the UK for one last time before going back to America (where he was born and brought up) with his family. He hates everywhere except Weymouth. For some reason he likes Weymouth.
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Barry the Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 05:29 PM   #3
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry the Sprout:
Most Bill Bryson is real "laugh-out-loud-on-the-bus-so-that-people-look-at-you-in-a-funny-way" kind of stuff. "Notes from a Small Island" is especially hilarious if you're British - he walks around the UK for one last time before going back to America (where he was born and brought up) with his family. He hates everywhere except Weymouth. For some reason he likes Weymouth.
Read that one [img]graemlins/check.gif[/img] and your right it was laugh out aloud funny especially the guest houses in dover [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img] as someone who used to spend time in Britain the observations where spot on [img]graemlins/laughsaywhat.gif[/img]

Old 03-10-2003, 09:01 PM   #4
Judas Maccabeus
The Magister

I would recommend Don Quixote myself.
<br /><br />\'Far be it from me to do such a thing as flee from them! If our time has come, let us die bravely for our kinsmen and not leave a stain upon our glory!\'<br />--1 Maccabees 9:10
Judas Maccabeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 05:15 AM   #5
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Judas Maccabeus:
I would recommend Don Quixote myself.
will try that... tho' I am dubiuos, I've still got mellvile's MOBY DICK to read first on my list of classics. Come on iron works I know this forum is slow but there must be travel book readers out there. Has anyone else got recomendations.

My list would include "jupiters travels" and "zen and the art of motorcycle maintanance"

Old 04-30-2003, 07:16 PM   #6
wellard
Dracolisk

Just a bump seeing as this forum has just exploded back into life !!!!!

Travel books....
Old 04-30-2003, 09:05 PM   #7
antryg
Fzoul Chembryl

I can't remember the name of the book but it is a collection of essays by George Orwell concerning his time in India. Not being British or English (that's for you Charlie) it gave me a lot of insight into the Colonial System itself as well as the common British view of India.
Old 05-01-2003, 12:08 AM   #8
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by antryg:
I can't remember the name of the book but it is a collection of essays by George Orwell concerning his time in India. Not being British or English (that's for you Charlie) it gave me a lot of insight into the Colonial System itself as well as the common British view of India.
Now that sounds intresting! seeing as I have read his stories and agree with his outlook on life. I shall pay a visit to the libary ASAP [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]

Off topic, that England - Britain topic *cough* discussion has left it's mark on Ironworks. [img]tongue.gif[/img]